Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wireless Network Connection - Annoying Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Wireless Network Connection - Annoying Problems

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    When you click the Network Manager icon and select Create New Wireless Network and fill in the details there, are you able to connect? Be sure to make sure the Mode is Ad Hoc. Please see attached.
    I don't have problem with the Wireless Network, my problem is with the Wired Network.

The other machine (Laptop) is connection to this PC via LAN cable. I can see the lights ON but there is NO Internet.

Ad-Hoc? but before, it wasn't Ad-Hoc and it was working just perfect!

P.S.
    I'm Online now from my PC. I can't be Online from my Laptop which is connected via LAN with this PC.
    This PC is connected to the internet via Wireless USB Adapter.

Beans
    Distro

I'm attaching these 3 screen shots:

I tried the Ad-Hoc but it didn't work.
    As I posted earlier, I never had to use "Ad-Hoc" before. It was working, I just changed the OS (Ubuntu 11.04 is SO SLOW on 512MB RAM).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm a bit confused here. The computer you are trying to connect is GETTING the internet via ethernet cable from another computer? Or is it GIVING the internet to another computer via ethernet cable?

I am no expert on connection sharing, but I believe the computer giving the internet needs to be the one set up as Shared to other Computers.

The computer getting the internet needs nothing in particular, I'd think you can set it up for DHCP and get an address from the other computer. If you connect but can't access the internet, you may need a DNS nameserver listing in /etc/resolv.conf.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

I'm a bit confused here. The computer you are trying to connect is GETTING the internet via ethernet cable from another computer? Or is it GIVING the internet to another computer via ethernet cable?
    I'll explain but don't laugh at me

There you go:
    The router is in the ground floor.
    My PC and My Laptop is on the Upper floor.

My PC is connected to the router (and to the internet) via Wireless USB Adapter.

My Laptop is connected to the internet via LAN Cable.

The LAN cable is from my PC to my Laptop.

My PC is giving the internet to my laptop.

My Laptop is getting the internet from my PC.

Now, before, the above scenario was working perfectly. However, Ubuntu 11.04 is so slow on my PC so I decided to go light and installed Lubuntu 11.04.

Problem is, The Laptop is no longer able to be ONLINE because it can NOT get the internet from my PC as it used to before.

Is it ok now?
    I know it's the most stupid connection I have ever made but I don't have another choice at the moment. It's long story and perhaps I'll explain that later.

I am no expert on connection sharing, but I believe the computer giving the internet needs to be the one set up as Shared to other Computers.
    Already done as the previous screenshots.

The computer getting the internet needs nothing in particular, I'd think you can set it up for DHCP and get an address from the other computer. If you connect but can't access the internet, you may need a DNS nameserver listing in /etc/resolv.conf.
    The Laptop has Win7. The silly seller asked me NOT to format it because I'll lose the warranty and I can't even install another OS for the same reason. SO LAME :/
    I'm waiting until I can go Linux on that Laptop.

Yes, I don't have to do anything on the Laptop but to connect the LAN Cable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think your setup is crazy or lame. Actually, I have seen a lot worse! I understand that people have complicated houses, internet situations and even limited budgets, me included. Not everyone can march down to the store and order a more powerful wireless router and two or three wireless cards, me included. Please don't apologize.

I am quite sure you can easily do what you are trying to do. The only problem is that I know next to nothing about internet connection sharing. I suggest you start a new thread with internet connection sharing in the title. Tell about your setup in detail just as above. I'm sure a better guru than me will have you going quickly.

I suspect that Network Manager seems to be set up for sharing to be wireless. Your sharing is wired.

I wish I could be of more help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

I don't think your setup is crazy or lame. Actually, I have seen a lot worse! I understand that people have complicated houses, internet situations and even limited budgets, me included. Not everyone can march down to the store and order a more powerful wireless router and two or three wireless cards, me included. Please don't apologize.
    I used to work and was able to buy whatever I need but I'm jobless for 3 years now and I'm having hard time over here. Thank God I'm still breathing

I am quite sure you can easily do what you are trying to do.
    Yes, no need to a new thread. I managed to fix it with ONE command only and a restart

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dnsmasq
    Problem Fixed.

Thank you so much and don't worry about it

I just don't get it. Lubuntu and Ubuntu must be using the same base so why some packages are not included? I have Ubuntu 11.04 and Lubuntu 11.04 installed on VirtualBox on my Laptop. I compared between them and I found that Ubuntu has "dnsmasq" while Lubuntu does not. LAME!
    I knew there was something missing, a package or a step to do. I wasn't sure what is missing. I did quick Google Search and I found this:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sharing-in...in-ubuntu.html

Skimmed through the text and I found:

ipmasq and dnsmasq

Only dnsmasq was required

I do remember that I faced exactly the same issue with Lubuntu 10.04 but at that time, formatting and installing another OS was my easy solution. Such solutions are no longer exist in my dictionary

I'm posting this from my Laptop on my room
    Last edited by amjjawad; August 13th, 2011 at 06:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

so I decided to go light and installed Lubuntu 11.04.
    It seems that, in order to lighten it up, they omitted dnsmasq and probably a lot of other things. I'm glad you got it working and I hope you enjoy Ubuntu.

I also hope and pray that the economy and employment will be kinder to you in the near future.

Thanks for the explanation. You will have helped some searchers, too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234