Thread: OpenPGP keys help

Beans

OpenPGP keys help

I am trying to add a OpenPGP key for launchpad. It said to use this command.
    Code:
    gpg --fingerprint
    When I use that command nothing shows.

Next I clicked on the the How to get the fingerprint. It said to go into Passwords and Encryption Keys. Then the My Personal Keys tab. I have nothing there. What should I do to get something there?

Beans

Re: OpenPGP keys help

Are you trying to load someone else's key into your gpg or are you trying to export your public key to Launchpad?

If you're trying to import, you use 'gpg --import <filename>' to import from a local file, or 'gpg --recv-keys <key ID>' to receive from the public keyservers.

If you're trying to export your public key, first find the key ID with 'gpg --list-keys', then run 'gpg --export -a --output <output filename> <key ID>'

These functions are more straightforward in Seahorse (Applications -> Accessories -> Passwords and Encryption Keys -> Tab to My Personal Keys).

If nothing shows in 'gpg --fingerprint', then you have neither public nor private keys in your local gpg database. If you're importing a key, it's not there, and if you're trying to export, then you don't yet have a personal keypair.

Beans

I'm trying to create my own key to use in Launchpad. I have no idea how to do that. Could you please explain how to do that?

Beans

'gpg --gen-key'

The options can be a bit in-depth. There are some great resources on the web and in the man pages for explaining these in details, but here are the selections I used:

1 (RSA and RSA)
    5y
    <name>
    <email>
    <comment>
    o (okay)
    <password> (use a strong password)

With that, you're done. Make a note of your key ID (the main, not the sub). This is how you will reference that keypair in the future.

If you want, you can invoke 'gpg --edit-key <key ID>' to set preferences, such as:

gpg --edit-key <key ID>
    setpref S9 S10 S8 S7 S4 H10 H9 H8 H11 H2 Z3 Z2 Z1
    save

That's an optional step, but it's what I did.

Now you want to mark that key as primary:

gpg --edit-key <key ID>
    uid 1
    primary
    quit

Now, you have to export it: 'gpg --export -a --output <output filename> <key ID>'

If you want, you can add this new key to the public keyservers with: 'gpg --send-key <key ID>'

This is your public key. This exported file is what you share.

I also set 'GPGKEY=<key ID>' in my .bash_profile to make it easier to call from the command line (even though my ID is rather memorable).

Now that you're up and running with gpg, I strongly suggest you set up your key in your MUA of choice. For Thunderbird, open Synaptic, and install the 'enigmail' package.

If you need help setting up enigmail, I can help you with that, too.

GPG is based on the OpenPGP standard which is in wide use in the Linux community. Secure, reliable, and authenticated email is a killer feature which needs wider adoption.
    Last edited by czr114; December 2nd, 2010 at 07:22 AM.

Beans

Thank you for the great guide. Could you please explain how to set up Thunderbird with enigmail?

Beans

Could you anyone explain how to set up Thunderbird with enigmail?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by COKEDUDE View Post
    Could you anyone explain how to set up Thunderbird with enigmail?
    Does anyone know?