Thread: Desktop Gimicks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Desktop Gimicks

Hey guys,
    just installed Ubuntu on my brother's computer. He hooks it up to his 42'' LCD screen and it looks really nice. I wanted to show them the "cuter" side of Linux. I was wondering how I'd go about installing some of the gimicks I have seen displayed on linux.
    Specifics:
    One of the things that I saw my friend have was a snowfall on his desktop. He could do all the normal operations on the desktop, but it was just snowing and it looked cute.
    Another thing that I wanted to show him was the desktop cube. That is, it took all the desktops (6) and turned them into a cube. You could turn the cube any which way you'd like, and every side of the cube would be one of the desktops.

I just wanted to impress them, because they leave the computer hooked up to their LCD and they leave the LCD on, and it would charm up their room if there was something pretty like a snow fall running in the background.
    Thanks
    -DeathByLinux
    "I only know enough to know that I don't know enough!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Desktop Gimicks

Install:

Advanced Desktop Effect Settings

Eventually install Fusion Icon (and set it to startup on every boot) to get easy access to the effects and you can also disable/enable compiz through it - if needed. This can be done through Ubuntu Software Center.

Or it can be done via the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fusion-icon compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; December 11th, 2010 at 08:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mate - you just need to enable desktop effects - >system>preferences>appearance and click the visual effects tab and select extra. Then install "advanced desktop efefcts setting" via the software centre. Once installed >system>preferences>compizconfig settings manager.

Go nuts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

those effects are accomplished via compiz to get all the effects use synaptic to install compiz, compiz-fusion-plugins-main, compiz-fusion-plugins-extra, compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported, and compizconfig-settings-manager then you can use the settings manager to setup the effects how you'd like them btw might i add a suggestion to compliment the room while the computer is idle install electricsheep it's a very hypnotic screensaver that is always downloading new animations so theres always new things to sit and stare at on screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

K, I enabled the cube desktop, but I only have 2 desktops. How does one add more? I used to know but I forgot.
    "I only know enough to know that I don't know enough!"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByLinux View Post
    K, I enabled the cube desktop, but I only have 2 desktops. How does one add more? I used to know but I forgot.
    Right click on the workspace applet on the panel.

Beans

Talking Re: Desktop Gimicks

You can install compiz from ubuntu software center, and from administration-->compiz and activatre the cool stuffs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tdapower View Post
    You can install compiz from ubuntu software center, and from administration-->compiz and activatre the cool stuffs.
    Please read the previous replies before replying to OP.