Thread: USB Suspend wake - /proc/acpi/wakeup

Beans

USB keyboard / mouse wake from suspend - /proc/acpi/wakeup

Hi! New to Ubuntu and so far very impressed. Been running it for about a week on a very old P4 system that I use as a cheap media center. I've had a lot of luck so far and worked through most issues, but one thing has me stumped.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10.

I was following the instructions here...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+keyboard+wake

...to enable my Microsoft Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse to wake the system from suspend. Once I set USB & USB2 to enabled, it worked perfectly. But when trying to adjust some things, I accidentally overwrote the contents of the /proc/acpi/wakeup file and now it is blank.

Performing 'cat /proc/acpi/wakeup' returned nothing and editing the file showed it blank as well. I then deleted the file hoping that the system would recreate it to no avail.

How do I restore this file to its default values?

Also (and the reason I was continuing to tinker and killed this file) once I've restored the file, how do I get the USB & USB2 to remain enabled upon reboot? The solution in the linked thread did not work for me at all; they return to disabled.

Thanks!
    Last edited by fivedots; December 11th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.

Beans

Re: USB Suspend wake - /proc/acpi/wakeup

Problem solved! First, for some reason along the way I started to use '/etc/acpi/wakeup' -- which of course is incorrect. Sure enough, '/proc/acpi/wakeup' was still intact.

Here are the steps I took to allow my USB keyboard and mouse to wake the computer from sleep and to make sure that these settings persisted after a reboot:

In terminal, type:

Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    You will see a list of devices. Note the USB ones (named as USB, USB0, USB1, etc.). I only have two, so instead of going through the trouble of figuring out which one was the keyboard/mouse wireless receiver, I decided to enable both. In my case, this was USB and USB2.

In terminal, type (and adjust 'USB...' to match the names of your devices):

Code:
    sudo -s
    echo USB > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Now you should be able to resume from suspend via a USB device. In order to force these settings to stay upon reboot, you need to add all of the 'echo USB...' lines that you used above to /etc/rc.local so it executes upon boot.

That should take care of it!

Beans

[QUOTE=fivedots;10225603]Problem solved! First, for some reason along the way I started to use '/etc/acpi/wakeup' -- which of course is incorrect. Sure enough, '/proc/acpi/wakeup' was still intact.

Here are the steps I took to allow my USB keyboard and mouse to wake the computer from sleep and to make sure that these settings persisted after a reboot:

In terminal, type:

Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
    You will see a list of devices. Note the USB ones (named as USB, USB0, USB1, etc.). I only have two, so instead of going through the trouble of figuring out which one was the keyboard/mouse wireless receiver, I decided to enable both. In my case, this was USB and USB2.

In terminal, type (and adjust 'USB...' to match the names of your devices):

Code:
    sudo -s
    echo USB > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    Now you should be able to resume from suspend via a USB device. In order to force these settings to stay upon reboot, you need to add all of the 'echo USB...' lines that you used above to /etc/rc.local so it executes upon boot.

That should take care of it![
    Last edited by jacdaniels; February 8th, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: diff question

Beans

i don't quite follow how to save this in the terminal(newbie)
    can someone tell me exactly what i need to do to save this command?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: USB keyboard / mouse wake from suspend - /proc/acpi/wakeup

Could you please start a new thread, and give as many details about your problem as possible? Thanks.