Thread: Nvidia not working in 10.10

Beans

Question Nvidia not working in 10.10

I do not know what happened, but the story was:

I put fresh installation for ubuntu 10.10 and when I try to install the driver for nvidia was not working as in 10.04. I put fresh installation for ubuntu 10.04 after that, I install Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 easily through appearance, actually was installed by itself. Then, When I upgrade to 10.10 the system gave me warning about upgrading compize application (and other warnings as well but I do not remember them now), I just choose continue with the upgrade.
    After I finished upgrading, I restart the computer and I got the command line. I was not be able to enter the X system ( mouse interface) or you can say I do not know how to exist from command line (I did restart the computer many times, but does not help), then I just install ubuntu 10.10 again, but the nvidia did not install when I chose appearance as what I did in ubuntu 10.04..

Is that normal when I use upgrade like that? or ubuntu 10.10 does not support Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 any more?

I hope the story is clear. if need more clarification I will do so.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nvidia not working in 10.10

I am having a very similar issue.

I've tried multiple things to fix my problem, everything from using "rm" on the xorg.conf file and doing a reboot (this gets the GUI back up, but that's about it) to trying to open an older kernal.

I could be wrong, this is entirely supposition, but I am thinking that the nvidia drivers are having issues keeping the nomodeset in the kernal. Nevermind, trying to load the live CD in nomodeset accomplished nothing.

I will tell you this, if you are indeed having the same issue I am, inserting the live CD will not work either. I'll post a reply as soon as I figure out a solution, hopefully it'll fix both our issues.

-Greg
    Last edited by GJLenon; December 11th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
    "Only out of the exigencies of discord comes discourse." - Bahktin

Beans

After spending too much time trying to resolve the Nvidia 96 incompatibility with 10.10 I have come up with a solution... Revert back to 10.4 until Ubuntu and Nvidia resolve the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Check out #4 in this link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1609725
    This should work for you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: Nvidia not working in 10.10

Please click on the link http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and then give the information needed there and try to install the Nvidia Driver manually and install it and then check if you get the issue resolved.
    Knowing UBUNTU better.