Thread: Warning for Trolling

Beans

Warning for Trolling

I received a warning from dmizer for trolling, I would like to contest this.

The OP had posted how Ubuntu was now officially his favourite OS, even though he had to go and buy a new printer to make 10.10 work properly on his system.

The warning stated that I was trolling by posting anti Linux sentiments in a thread were the OP was obviously satisfied with Ubuntu, nothing in my post was actually anti-linux, I at no point said anything bad about linux, I was simply pointing out the stupidity of shouting about how awesome an OS is even though you had to go out and buy new hardware just to make it work. My post was anti-fanboy, not anti-Linux.

The text of the warning said something along the lines of 'you are welcome to discuss the bad points of linux in the appropriate place, you can even post about the good points of windows'...

No-one in the thread made any reference to windows, why is this being brought up in warnings? When will the Linux community in general realise that when you constantly compare everything to windows then by default you make windows THE standard.

People posting rubbish like the OP do far more harm to the image of Ubuntu than those who point out the problems, if you continue to defend these sort of posts from any kind of criticism then you will perpetuate the idea that all Linux users are mindless fanboys who will defend "their" OS blindly, regardless of faults.

The tone of the warning and Caribou's reference to the other site would seem to imply that there is a belief that the reason people criticise posts like this here is because there is some kind of organised group of windows advocates who come here to make Linux look bad, that is simply not the case. For my own part, I love Linux, I am a Fedora user, I criticise posts like these because it is idiotic fanboyism that makes Linux look bad, not people pointing out faults.

I would hope that the warning will be retracted, not because I really give a toss about a warning on the interwebz, but because this forum has enough influence in the linux community that a change of attitude here could actually cause a change of attitude in the idiot fanboys who incessantly post garbage around the internet about how Linux is perfect and doesn't have any faults and the ones that it does have are all there because of hardware manufacturers.

Come on guys, step up to the mark and do the decent thing here.
    Go out, do stuff

Beans

Re: Warning for Trolling

I will look at this and come back as soon as I can
    This account is not active.

Beans

Re: Warning for Trolling

You are free to post criticism that is not tainted with "trollish" sentiment such as "Keep drinking the koolaid." the intent of which is obvious.

Even you your appeal post here is laced with insults which I will admit I was close to issuing infractions for as they are clearly in breach of our code of conduct.

Code of Conduct reference....

"Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden.
    Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.
    Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them.
    Flames are messages that personally attack or call any people names or otherwise harass. These, along with any generally condescending posts will be edited or removed at the moderators discretion.
    If a thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start an argument or is likely to cause an argument rather than enhance discussion, as in trolling), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait comments in a post may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion.
    If the thread turns into an argument, it can be closed to further comment or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going, but that is not always possible since we are a staff of volunteers with limited time and numbers."

You have been issued a warning for your post and I believe in this case it is warranted.
    This account is not active.