Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 will not install

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 will not install

I have 10.10 running on this machine, Lenovo X61 and an older Toshiba laptop. Last night I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 on a new Lenovo U160 with i5-470um processor. I am not trying anything special, no dual boot, I want to blast Win 7 away like always and run only Ubuntu 10.10. This is the same CD which loaded and installed on the other laptops. It blinks the CD light, gets to the "little guy" screen, then hammers the CD for a very long time, then goes away into a black screen. I really depressed everything I could (all keys). I noticed that the space bar or enter cause the CD drive to blink again but nothing visible on display. OK. Then I tried to install 10.4 from a good CD and the exact same thing happens. This CD was used to install at least 5 laptops. I have downloaded 10.10 64 bit .iso and will try that soon as I burn it. Is there a known problem with the i5-470um or is this a graphics/display issue? I can't think of anything really unique about the new Lenovo, the i5-470um is the newly released 18 watt stamp proc, just out around November I think. Other things on the new U160 are pretty generic, webcam, HDMI, usb, 4GB mem, 500GB drive, 11.6" screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 will not install

I would suggest to try 'nomodeset' parameter from F6 menu at boot.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...Page%20Options

Beans

Talking Re: Ubuntu 10.10 will not install

Thank you! The install is almost finished now, everything looks great so far. "nomodeset" selected and everything else is going normal. I've been using Ubuntu now since 06, seldom have asked for help because stuff just works, answers easy to find. Yeah, someday is today for me, still disagree with paying the W tax but everyone else has to as well. On the shiny bright new U160 I booted Win 7 one time, to make recovery dvds and back it up - just in case.

Beans
    Distro

Glad to know it worked for you

If satisfied, you can mark this thread Solved using Thread Tools near the top of this page.

Happy Ubuntu-ing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After installation is finished it will ask for a reboot. The same thing may happen again as this is a graphics problem.
    If it won't reboot properly, reboot again and hold down the shift key. The grub menu should appear with the top item (ubuntu) highlighted. Press the "e" key and a new screen will appear. If you navigate to the end of the line which says "quiet splash" and remove it then type in "nomodeset" - without the quotes, and press ctrl + x to reboot it should go to the desktop.
    Once there, if you run Additional Drivers from the System > Admin menu the drivers for your graphics card will be installed (hopefully). After this it should boot normally.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Quackers, thank you. Now, I booted into a blank screen, then followed your instructions. Rebooted into command line interface, logged in...so what is the sudo or command to get the graphics drivers? I have no menu, just command line now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You need to reboot again and during bootup hold down the shift key. This will bring up the grub menu. When it appears press the "e" key and a new screen will appear.
    Navigate (with the down arrow and right arrow) to the end of the line that says "quiet splash". Remove those 2 words and in their place type "nomodeset" but without the quotes.
    Press ctrl + x to reboot.
    Desktop should now appear.
    Run Additional drivers from the System > Admin menu.
    Install any drivers it finds.
    Reboot.
    Should be tickety-boo
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Exactly what I did, rebooted, changed "quiet splash" to "nomodeset", ctrl-x to reboot. Booted into command line, tty1, logged in. Now, my question is how to get the graphics menu or what is command line to download graphics drivers?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to Quackers. I knew it was going to happen but :facepalm: too lazy to mention it here. Forgive me and kudos to Quackers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After logging in type startx and hit enter. See if the desktop arrives.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast