Thread: html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

html

Hope its ok i can ask html stuff here.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to ping a ip address from a html script. And then import it into a table with red text for no and green for yes.

I want to do this since i have a list with hundreds of ip addresses. And i would like to have a way to see if they are up or down without connecting to them.

Thanks on advance.
    Kind Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: html

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to ping a ip address from a html script. And then import it into a table with red text for no and green for yes.
    You will need some additional scripting language for this (plain HTML is only for document description), and in particular one that works server-side, as pinging surely isn't supported by JavaScript. If you restrict yourself to the Internet Explorer, you can probably also use ActiveX or the like client-side.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

we use 50% firefox 50% safari (mac browser)

Beans
    Distro

we use 50% firefox 50% safari (mac browser)
    Ok, so get something running on the server side. Pure HTML won't do the trick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Im also kinda asking for a little help if anyone could tell me what to look for / after. Or make in what language.

Beans
    Distro

Im also kinda asking for a little help if anyone could tell me what to look for / after. Or make in what language.
    Ok, so the first thing that "we" need to know in order to help you is to understand why you actually want to do that - in fact, it is non-obvious why it has to be some kind of "HTML script" - what's for example wrong with a terminal script? This is important to know as you might have good reasons for requesting it in HTML form. You just haven't stated them here. As such reasons are normally tremendously important to keep in mind right from the start, you will need to state them here to get good answers.

Then, provided that you really want to do it in a web-based way, state what you already have: a web server installed somewhere, which scripting languages it supports right at the moment, etc.

Please answer *both* questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
    Ok, so the first thing that "we" need to know in order to help you is to understand why you actually want to do that
    This. I can think of lots of bad reasons why you want to start pinging random ips, and very few good ones.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok, so the first thing that "we" need to know in order to help you is to understand why you actually want to do that - in fact, it is non-obvious why it has to be some kind of "HTML script" - what's for example wrong with a terminal script? This is important to know as you might have good reasons for requesting it in HTML form. You just haven't stated them here. As such reasons are normally tremendously important to keep in mind right from the start, you will need to state them here to get good answers.

Then, provided that you really want to do it in a web-based way, state what you already have: a web server installed somewhere, which scripting languages it supports right at the moment, etc.
    I currently just have a plain html page, containing tabels, a zebra script, and a tooltip script
    http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/index.ht...tooltip_shadow.

The side contains hundreds of ip addresses (for local use). That i want to check if they are online or not (pingable) so i dont need to connect to them to test, or find out.

It is not a problem making a apache server with php if necessary.

The reasons i ask for it to be html script (little knowledge of what is possible) is because i need my server to ping the destination and not the destinations to ping my server.
    If i can keep this in my html page (so i have everything at one place) that would be top dollar. ,)

The result than need to be imported into my html page in a specific table for each site.

Hope it makes sense.
    Last edited by Drenriza; December 10th, 2010 at 02:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, ok, so you have the following setting:

You have a server computer "A", which also runs a web server program, which needs to be able to contact some set of other computers "B" . You want to monitor its connectivity to the other computers and just want to monitor that the server can contact the other computers. For actually viewing the ping results you use a different computer "C". As you really what to track the connectivity between "A" and the computers "B" and not between "C" and "A", you want the pinging to be executed on "A".

Technically, what you want to achieve shown be doable using the "exec()" command of PHP, which could call the "ping" command from the underlying operating system. By reading the output of the ping tool and parsing it, you would be able to make a nice table out of multiple ping runs. It's just that the "exec" command is often deactivated in the PHP settings.

Then, there's an old thread on something similar: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1572433 - There's a ready-made bash script for what you want. You could run it on the server permanently if you want. Or you could have a PHP script that just triggers executing it and then returns the result.

There are of course also billion gazillion other scripting languages you can use for your task, it doesn't really matter as long as they are capable of executing the ping command of the underlying OS.