Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: App Engines: With no Apps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

App Engines: With no Apps

I've always considered the term App to be a SMALL program (or at least one which didn't provide all the bells and whistles). Not an entire 13Mb one which contained everything you could possibly want to do with that particular subject. Several of the app engines I've seen for Windows, Mac and linux are all focused on downloading applications now and simply coining the phrase app to them.

Getting to my point:
    I want to develop an app engine, which is strictly based on apps only! No full downloads of Thunderbird and then telling the person they have an app. That's an application not an app.
    The problem, I can only program in BASIC in Windows yay!!! If I go into this, would anyone want to help me translate it into other distros? (preferably Python)
    I'm thinking like app board (inspiration from sound boards) which is kind of like Firefox, where the user can log onto a website and get apps and add them to their board.

Again I'm defining app as tiny program which does one or two things and not an entire host of needless things. I'm even considering allowing the user to download skins.

I know there are plenty of widget based programs for linux, but they're not Apps. There's something to be said about apps. They're just so snuggled up together in one place. They sort of seem like they belong together.

EDIT: It will all be open sourced of course.
    Last edited by ki4jgt; December 10th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: App Engines: With no Apps

not sure exactly why you want to create an app engine, but any open source project that progresses people will pitch in no problem.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

App is short for "Application Program". An Application Program can be as big or small as you want.

What YOU describe as an "App" is more like an "Applet"
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Something like this (Sorry, was still in my GUI designer)

EDIT: I know. I just think app sounds so much like a small word, where as program sounds like hey this is something big!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ki4jgt; December 10th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Python, the answer always is python.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, I know but I don't have a simple little gui designer in Python. All the ones I've seen have been loaded up with so many bells and whistles I don't want to even try and understand any of it. I like BASIC better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: App Engines: With no Apps

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    Yes, I know but I don't have a simple little gui designer in Python. All the ones I've seen have been loaded up with so many bells and whistles I don't want to even try and understand any of it.
    The one i use, is almost the same of your pic, its the same with different icons, but Python.

GUI Builder:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/spec.../2.5.20070129/

Choose your OS, Linux i think.

Also see:
    web2Py
    PyZenity
    Python Dialog
    Last edited by juancarlospaco; December 10th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: App Engines: With no Apps

Thanks
    You are welcome.
    If need more help with THAT kind of GUI just drop me a line...

Beans

Again I'm defining app as tiny program which does one or two things and not an entire host of needless things. I'm even considering allowing the user to download skins.
    Cant think of anything more useless than skins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast