Thread: Laggy applications and mouse

Beans

Laggy applications and mouse

Hey all,

I just installed UNR yesterday in my Toshiba Satellite L500. After installation everything was pretty alright, so I installed the hardware drive for my graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650) and shut down my computer. I woke up in the morning to find that everything started lagging once I started any big applications like firefox and software center.

I looked around the forums and found that updating to a new kernel should help. It didn't. Please help this newbie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Laggy applications and mouse

I would do a little checking into what exactly is bottlenecking the system when it starts to get really laggy. Run the programs you norally do when it lags (Firefox, Software Center, etc.) and then go to the terminal (under the Accessories menu) and run the command "top" and post the output here. It could be useful to see if somehting in particular is having issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Laggy applications and mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx_s View Post
    Hey all,

I just installed UNR yesterday in my Toshiba Satellite L500. After installation everything was pretty alright, so I installed the hardware drive for my graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650) and shut down my computer. I woke up in the morning to find that everything started lagging once I started any big applications like firefox and software center.

I looked around the forums and found that updating to a new kernel should help. It didn't. Please help this newbie.
    Hello and welcome

Kindly post here the hardware specifications of your machine.

Is it lagging only when you open an application such as Firefox?

Edit:
    Oh, that post was quite old. Looks like the OP has given up or he/she managed to fix it. I hope so.