Thread: Make Computer More Secure

Beans

Make Computer More Secure

I have very little security and networking experience. What can I do to make my computer more secure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Make Computer More Secure

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticCoder View Post
    I have very little security and networking experience. What can I do to make my computer more secure?
    well, in the shortrun, you don;'t have to do much other than use it responsibly. don;t install stuff from outside the repos, research commands you see online before you use them, and avoid installing server applications. practice good web habits, and you shoudl be just fine.

so did you have a more specific type of security or concern that you need to address?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I assume you are running Linux; in that case, you're already, by default, pretty safe. For more information on security, I suggest you search the forums and read the stickied threads at the top of this forum.

As for privacy, I assume that if I am on a public network, I cannot reasonably expect privacy. In short, this means that if I am connected to the Internet, what I am doing is not private. There are ways to get yourself to sleep at night; and the stickied threads are where you will find out about them.

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticCoder View Post
    The only real thing you can do to increase security is education.

First use strong passwords.

Then read the stickies at the top of these forums.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just make sure your apparmor and firewall are working/enabled.

There's an article I alway refer to http://www.itsecurity.com/features/u...tall-resource/

You can use zenmap to scan your PC for open/closed/stealth port. Or can try an online port scanner toohttps://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

as said above, don't install software from outside the repos. Use no script/flashblock/adblocking in firefox for better browser security. Oh and turn off remote desktop if your not using it