Thread: file-roller issues

Beans

file-roller issues

So in older versions (even in 9.x) of Ubuntu, file-roller offered a "create archive" option when right clicking on a file. Now, in 10.10, that option seems to be gone.

I mean, it was never a great option to begin with since it only appeared when selecting multiple files (not with a single file)... but this is much worse. I need a quick and efficient way to create a .rar or .zip file. Right now I have to open file-roller, drag the files in, and then create the archive. It may sound petty, but when you do this often enough, it gets old.

Is there a better way to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: file-roller issues

Quote Originally Posted by knottshawk View Post
    So in older versions (even in 9.x) of Ubuntu, file-roller offered a "create archive" option when right clicking on a file. Now, in 10.10, that option seems to be gone.

I mean, it was never a great option to begin with since it only appeared when selecting multiple files (not with a single file)... but this is much worse. I need a quick and efficient way to create a .rar or .zip file. Right now I have to open file-roller, drag the files in, and then create the archive. It may sound petty, but when you do this often enough, it gets old.

Is there a better way to do this?
    the option is still there in 10.10 when you right click the single file or folder but under a deferent name, choose 'compress'

Beans

Re: file-roller issues

Ah yes... I see that, except that when I right click on a Windows based executable, that option isn't there... and that's the file I primarily deal with. For those it just offers to extract them.