Thread: Cell phone rooting

Beans

Cell phone rooting

If your cell phone is an HTC ARIA and you want to root it, Internet Web sites suggest you create a UBUNTU LiveCD and then follow the instructions given when the CD program runs. What if UBUNTU is your operating system and you want to root your HTC ARIA? Any suggestions? The UBUNTU LiveCD is for people with Microsoft's operating system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cell phone rooting

I have an Aria and I used Unrevoked to root it, then I proceeded to install CyanogenMOD, all went well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't have an HTC Aria... but the information found on the rooting process should be generally the same. Running Cyanogenmod here as well with the help of Clockworkmod.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    I don't have an HTC Aria... but the information found on the rooting process should be generally the same. Running Cyanogenmod here as well with the help of Clockworkmod.
    Thanks. I got my ATC Aria rooted. Now I am having trouble figuring out how to unlock NAND. Also, I need to back up my ROM image so I can intall CyanogenMOD. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The best place to ask about this will be in the xda-developers forum specifically dedicated to the Aria:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 1927Vinton View Post
    Thanks. I got my ATC Aria rooted. Now I am having trouble figuring out how to unlock NAND. Also, I need to back up my ROM image so I can intall CyanogenMOD. Any suggestions?
    I use 'ROM Manager Premium' it does all the wipes and backups you need, great if want to utilize CyanogenMod 6 Nightlies
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by 1927Vinton View Post
    Just follow these steps:

a)Install Ubuntu

b)Download Unrevoked (Linux version) from their website. Unzip & save on desktop

c)Download Cyanogenmod ROM and Google apps. Save on desktop.

d)Once all downloads are done. Plug your phone via USB and run unrevoked as super user. Unrevoked will remove NAND lock and install clockworkmod in the recovery partition.

e)Your phone is now rooted & you will see a superuser icon in application menu.

f) Save the Cyanogenmod & Google apps in the root of the SD card and switch off the phone.

g) Start the phone by pressing down volume button and power simultaneously. Now use volume button again to scroll at "recovery" and select it using power button.

h) Clockworkmod recovery ROM will now boot and will give various options:

You can now use trackball/trackpad to highlight and select options.

i)Scroll to 'backup and restore' and backup your existing ROM important step) by selecting 'Backup'(in the next menu/screen).

j) Come back to the main clockworkmod menu and select 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' one after another.

j)Come back to the main clockworkmod menu again and select 'install zip from sdcard'.

k)Select Cyanogen zip file and flash it and then flash Google apps in the same way

l)Once done; restart phone and have fun!

Ensure the phone is fully charged and don't blame me if your device is bricked (though chances are negligible). Though this tut is based on my HTC Desire it will work on Aria too.
    Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have an n900, to root it I open up an xterm and type root.</smug>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

N900 is a great phone and I own one. But here we are talking about flashing & not rooting alone. Hence few more steps.
    Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol.