Thread: USB Floppy Drive problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

USB Floppy Drive problem

I have a Dell Floppy Drive Module that I am trying to use. When I plug it in, I see "Floppy Drive" in the Computer screen. However, when I try to click on it, nothing happens. So I went to the Disk Utility to see if it wasn't mounted, but there was nothing to mount! I know the floppy disk in there is okay, because it works on another computer. There are no Propriety Drivers listed for this device. Any solution?
    Imitation is suicide...To be great is to be misunderstood.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: USB Floppy Drive problem

There is a long standing, unresolved bug in Ubuntu (most irritatingly) that means that if you have an internal floppy drive (yes, I know you have a USB one - we'll get to that), although the icon appears in 'Computer', when you click on it you simply get an error and the floppy disc is not read. The workaround for an internal floppy drive is this command from the terminal:

Code:
    udisks --mount /dev/fd0
    I have no experience of USB floppies, but I suspect there may be a similar problem. The above code may or may not work because your drive may or may not be designated as fd0. Try it anyway. If it doesn't work, plug the drive in, switch it on and then do this command from the terminal:

Code:
    dmesg | tail
    You'll get a few lines of output with, hopefully, the device name which you can substitute in the above command. Not elegant, but it might work.

Edit: I should add that if you are used to Windows, Linux writing to floppies is a bit un-nerving at first. You drag and drop, but nothing much seems to happen - usually. When you're finished, right-click on the desktop icon and choose unmount and only then does the write occur. You must remember not to remove the floppy before you unmount it.
    Last edited by coffeecat; December 9th, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

YES! You are the man/woman/other!

The first command worked with the aid of the second (it wasn't labeled fd0). It's now mounted and buzzing happily.

Thank you. I am used to Windows, and Linux is refreshing but unfamiliar.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I'm glad it worked. Out of interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Habeouscorpus View Post
    The first command worked with the aid of the second (it wasn't labeled fd0).
    What was it? fd1? Or something else?

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

sdc. (I dunno... I just plugged it in and went for it.)

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans

if anyone is still having problems

try
    Code:
    udisk --mount /dev/sdc
    worked for me