Thread: Install from boot but on same partition

Beans

Question Install from boot but on same partition

I now that when I run my PC and insert Ubuntu Live CD/DVD it installs it on the same partition, but how can i do this from boot, because I can't boot Windows XP, I installed Puppy Linux so my PC is usable but I need to access the data from Windoink Iws Partition, which I can do from Puppy. But I want to install a "real" OS like Ubuntu but still be able to access Windows XP Partition data. I think it is not possible to access the data from Ubuntu on a seperate partition so they have to be on the same one if I am right.

Just if you wanna know why I can't boot XP???? I get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install from boot but on same partition

Hi

I think it is not possible to access the data from Ubuntu on a seperate partition so they have to be on the same one if I am right.
    No. You *can* access data on different partitions and even on different drives using Ubuntu.

You can install Ubuntu on a separate partition than XP or even a separate drive drive and it will be able to see all the other drives and partitions on your PC.

It might need a small amount of configuration to set it up but people on this forum can help you out.

In any case, if you cannot boot into windows XP, i would back up all your data from that partition before installing another OS. You can do this from a Ubuntu LiveCD or from Puppy.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install from boot but on same partition

Did you have wubi that is inside the windows NTFS partition?

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum member meierfra
    Page with instructions and download:
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
    Paste results.txt, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
    Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the post's menu and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.