Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B43legacy driver install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Issue with B43legacy driver install

Goodnight all,

I'm having trouble getting my Broadcom wireless card to work with my new ubuntu 10.04 installation. I'm new to linux on a whole, so i know nothing about "sudo commads" and terminal and so forth as i've read in other posts.

My computer is a HP Compaq Presario 2100 currently running a 32-bit Windows XP Home Edition, System Pack 3 and i have 192MB Ram as well as an AMD Processor. I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 as i indicated above, but i cant seem to get the wireless adapter to pick up any signals. My ethernet port doesnt work, so this is my only method of connecting to the net. I would really love to get it working as Ubuntu runs faster than XP.

I've already downloaded the b43-fwcutter thingy as i've seen indicated in many forums. But i dont know where to find the driver exactly. Most of the other forums are so confusing with the folder names, and directories and what not....sigh...Is it possible to take it from the drivers folder in windows rather than download it, and then transfer it to ubuntu? Or is there another way?

Please help

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by campb.andrew; December 8th, 2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Change of title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: B43legacy driver install

Let's make sure what you have and then we'll decide what you need and how to install it. Please open Applications > Accessories > Terminal and type, exactly as I have it here:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -i 14e4
    Press Enter. It will spit out some details about your Broadcom wireless card. Jot them down and post all the details here.

For your information, b43-fwcutter goes out on the internet and locates a firmware package, downloads it and installs it in the correct location on your computer. Without internet access, usually through your ethernet connection, it's of little use. Save it, however; we may have a use for it later.

Do you have a USB key, if we need to transfer files?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

connect to the internet via ethernet cable, then click system-> aministration-> additional drivers

kick back let it do it's thing, it'll find all the drivers you need.

sorry, my bag, missed the part about broken ethernet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kerry_s; December 8th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I have a usb key. I'll be back in a few mins. Thank you for your help by the way.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    connect to the internet via ethernet cable, then click system-> aministration-> additional drivers

kick back let it do it's thing, it'll find all the drivers you need.
    My ethernet port doesnt work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by campb.andrew View Post
    My ethernet port doesnt work.
    yeah, i just saw that, sorry.

do you have the windows driver? cause ndiswrapper & ndisgtk is on the installer disk, you can use the windows driver to get it going, then replace it with the linux drivers once connected.

Beans

Should you find the information Chili555 is asking for (bad English!) here is the link to get the files from the installation (live) CD.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ernet%20access

Beans
    Distro

Hey all, thanks for the help so far. I'm actually posting this via ubuntu. I tried the ethernet port again....and it worked. ..

Should i still use the terminal commands though?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by campb.andrew View Post
    Hey all, thanks for the help so far. I'm actually posting this via ubuntu. I tried the ethernet port again....and it worked. ..

Should i still use the terminal commands though?
    If the ethernet is working, you only need to follow the suggestion in post #3.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro

Ok. Thank you. I'm going to update and then let you know how it goes...

Thank you once again for your help everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast