hi mparaeja

from your info from the lsusb there is

CDC Ethernet:
    iMacAddress 4 64995DFA3356
    bmEthernetStatistics 0x00000000
    wMaxSegmentSize 22528
    wNumberMCFilters 0x0000
    bNumberPowerFilters 0

have you tried to configure Network Manager ,edit VPN connections ,to set up this wired interface
    with a mac address highlighted in blue

or tried to set the auto connect

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Link to techland.time removed 12 dec 2010

ADDED : found pdf documentation , relating to the CDC-Ethernet : see Post #4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Latest info 12/12/2010 Verizon
    4G LTE Data-stick Mac/Linux/Windows-other authentication information.

12-12-2010 10:22 AM

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discu...ion/m-p/347804

The following information has been released publicly by VZW advanced support so I feel I can share this now:
    If you want to use the UML290 on the Mac/Linux/UNIX/other-platforms you can now do so if you have the engineering knowledge or a little know-how:
    Quick Notes: Verizon 4G LTE uses the GSM APN authentication method through a GGSN (similar to AT&T) and 3G (1X/EVDO) traditional uses the HA CDMA method. The old CDMA authentication method has been posted years before so I won't repost that.
    You WILL NOT GET SUPPORT UNTIL THE OFFICIAL VZACCESS Software comes out on the Mac.

4G LTE GSM General Device Settings-
    Phone Number: PhoneNumber
    Account name: PhoneNumber@vzw4g.com
    Password: vzw

Advanced Settings-
    Carrier: Generic
    Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
    APN: vzwinternet
    CID: 1

Click OK, then connect and enjoy.

So on the Mac connection manager (generic apple), make a profile for your UML290 hardware, should be a modem. Make a GSM connection profile with the above. Phone number is your data-stick phone number (fake phone number, used for system identification, get it from VZAccess or your account page online). Account name is "phonenumber@vzw4g.com". (Basically add @vzw4g.com to your phonenumber. Password is "vzw", same as 3g CDMA. In GSM/3G/4G carrier use generic (no special parameters). Model is GPRS (GSM/3G, same as 4G). GSM APN is "vzwinternet". CID is 1 if your drivers need it.

Enjoy 4G LTE GSM technology by VZW on your Mac! I will be running this on my Linux engineering dev machine soon. Finally I LOVE YOU VZW!

Oh and if you're just installing it without a Windows machine using it at least once, your SIM card has to be provisioned by VZW support or a store...

If you want a visual Mac guide:
    http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/
    Official VZW support (replace the inetgsm.vzw3g.com APN used for overseas roaming with the 4g APN used domestically as listed above):
    Mac: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/k....html?id=30063
    Windows XP/Vista/7 (If you don't want to use VZAccess): http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/k....html?id=29355
    Username/Password/Everything as said above applies, replace as needed.

NO VZAccess on Mac yet, check your data usage on vzw.com my account... The SMS warning messages should work since it's a standard GSM 3G/4G implementation by VZW if you can get a Mac/Linux app that watches for SMS from the data modem driver interface.

Verizon will probably add a second APN for smart-phones when they come out with LTE chips. Example: The "vzwinternet" APN gives you a public IP address as that's mean't for data-sticks. They will probably use something (I'm just guessing here) like "advdevice" for smart-phones and that will give the smart-phone a private IP address (10.x.x.x) like the current CDMA HA's do. With APN data traffic separation VZW with 4G GSM tech. can manage traffic volumes better with bandwidth limits, etc. AT&T/T-Mobile are doing the same now and it has recently been implemented on the legacy CDMA HA's also. Also firewalling, security.

Summarized for wvdial . in part may look like , all similar to any 3g connection

Updated 13 Jan 2011 ; ref cd usb-rndis-lite

Although I removed : possible meanings of LTE ( possible true 4g speed ) may be on the cdc ethenet interface : this looks as if confirmed
    and the comment (Summarized for wvdial . in part may look like , all similar to any 3g connection)

Recommend : Read these links it may indicate how to get connected on True 4g interface CDC-ETHERNET , this type of interface should allow faster speeds than the standard acm driver

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discu...-p/358310#M435

then look at solutions on how to bring up the interface

http://embedded.seattle.intel-resear...ting_up_USBnet

http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...dem/intro.html

As regards the cd usb-rndis-lite/
    have a look at this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869229

Reason for removal of previous info ( Post #13 by willzzz) . looks as if this info gives a standard connection of the likes of 3g ,but using the faster speed rate of acm
    this tends to make me look at some devices which are loading option driver, but have greater baud rates available than the standard 115200
    and possible reason the claimed speeds are not attained: Always check if there are Kernel Patches Available for your devices. if available, Check them out

the linux drivers are loaded the relative to the device ID's. IE. the driver modules contain the device ID'S
    It will be interesting to find out the speeds of this type of connection (to monitor use netspeed)

Added: reading through the links , looks as if a linux connection should be easier than that of others
    and that the Verizon statement of drivers only Available for * , Smacks in the face of Freedom of Use ,
    Verizon Should make the sequences (Technical) Publicly Available , that's not Hard Work:
    Last edited by alexfish; January 23rd, 2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Update links : cd usb-rndis-lite/
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Re: NEW verizon lg vl600 4g(lte) aircard not working

Quote Originally Posted by PlancksCnst View Post
    The LG device continues to be unresponsive on Linux. On the Pantech device, I ran through a bunch of commands, but to get it to connect, I did
    Code:
    at*99***3#
    This was to use the 3rd pdp context definition which was already present in the device. It returned
    Code:
    CONECT 100000000
    I'm not sure about the number of zeros, but it was a bunch. I then connected pppd to the terminal, and it authenticated and stopped.

I was able to do some USB sniffing on the LG device when talking to the Windows driver. The software did these:
    Code:
    ATE0V1
    AT+CPIN?
    AAT+CLCK="SC",2
    AT+GCAP?
    AT+CMEE=1
    When the software actually connected, it didn't seem to be because of any AT command. I haven't tried to decode the binary data yet, but I did see 'vzwinternet' in ASCII among the data, suggesting it connected using that APN.

Attached is a capture that you can view using TotalPhase Data Center (zero-cost). This was my attempt at talking to the device on Linux both using screen and echoing straight to the device.
    Here is my Beagle 480 trace on Windows while using the Verizon connection manager to bring the card online.

It looks like it's using some DM commands.

The sniff contains my ESN and MDN, so be gentle
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aport; December 16th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Beans

Hey this is willzzz88 from the Verizon forums who originally posted the details and I am also a member here so I thought I'd chip in and update you guys.
    You need to do AN ADDITIONAL MINOR CHANGE in addition to the above for 3G/4G under linux on the UML290 (The VL600 uses some proprietary LG chip-set for the LTE that we can't figure out atm, get the UML290, industry standard Qualcomm Gobi stuff...):

AT+CGDCONT=3,"IPV4V6","vzwinternet","0.0.0.0",0,0

Phone = *99#

or

Phone = *99***3#

or

Phone = #777

4G: Username = <phonenumber>@vzw4g.com
    3G: Username = <phonenumber>@vzw3g.com
    Password = vzw

Stupid Mode = 3

YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE APN connection APN to #3. If you use #1 you risk over-writing the ORIGINAL VZAccess Win/Mac APN profiles on the SIM card which has connection problems if you use the same card again in Windows/Mac and kind of screws it up.

VZAccess in Windows/Mac apparently is using APN#1 with a direct connection to VZ's IMS with IPv6 only. This hasn't been figured out. If you want a direct connection simply do a connection with the above and with a CID of #3 for the direct vzwinternet APN of #3!!!!!! (Important).

So far 4G works well, 3G may need additional tweaking for 3g/4g transitions.

Beans

Re: NEW verizon lg vl600 4g(lte)

willzzz et al. Regarding the VL600, I think I understand what the issue is regarding getting this device to work on Linux (and MacOS X). Attached is a screen shot of how it enumerates on Windows, it's as if the Windows driver sends a vendor specific Configure command that makes the device enumerate a hidden configuration.

On MacOS X, and I would assume Ubuntu (without a vendor specific command to re-enumerate the VL600 with this hidden configuration, the Device only enumerates with 2 Pseudo CDC interfaces). I say Pseudo interfaces since they look like CDC, but are not 100% CDC Descriptors.

From the Windows config screen this device has a boatload of interfaces that I just don't see with the device plugged into MacOS X. Also this device takes a long time to enumerate which suggests to me that it re-enumerates at least once on windows.

I really don't think it is worth the time and effort to support the VL600 especially since the Pantech has much better performance. If LG can't get their act together and write decent firmware, I say it's their loss. Verizon seems content to have all these vendors dream up their own software specification, rather than adhere to open standards for USB network devices, sheesh..

Here is how the LG looks plugged into a machine running MacOS. The one thing that seems suspect to me in the Windows enumeration, is that they might be using Mux Mode, which is essentially that the driver sends serial , diagnostic, ethernet data over a single endpoint.

High Speed device @ 3 (0x24100000): ............................................. Communication device: "LG UDC-AHB Subsystem"
    Device Descriptor
    Descriptor Version Number: 0x0200
    Device Class: 2 (Communication)
    Device Subclass: 2
    Device Protocol: 1
    Device MaxPacketSize: 64
    Device VendorID/ProductID: 0x1004/0x61AA (LG Electronics Inc.)
    Device Version Number: 0x0100
    Number of Configurations: 1
    Manufacturer String: 1 "LG ELECTRONICSInc"
    Product String: 2 "LG UDC-AHB Subsystem"
    Serial Number String: 0 (none)
    Configuration Descriptor
    Length (and contents): 145
    Number of Interfaces: 4
    Configuration Value: 1
    Attributes: 0x80 (bus-powered)
    MaxPower: 400 ma
    Interface Association Communications-Control
    Interface #0 - Communications-Control
    Interface #1 - Communications-Data/Unknown Comm Class Model
    Interface #2 - Communications-Control
    Interface #3 - Communications-Data/Unknown Comm Class Model
    Device Qualifier Descriptor
    Other Speed Configuration Descriptor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by irieblue; December 28th, 2010 at 06:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: NEW verizon lg vl600 4g(lte)

Quote Originally Posted by irieblue View Post
    willzzz et al. Regarding the VL600, I think I understand what the issue is regarding getting this device to work on Linux (and MacOS X). Attached is a screen shot of how it enumerates on Windows, it's as if the Windows driver sends a vendor specific Configure command that makes the device enumerate a hidden configuration.

On MacOS X, and I would assume Ubuntu (without a vendor specific command to re-enumerate the VL600 with this hidden configuration, the Device only enumerates with 2 Pseudo CDC interfaces). I say Pseudo interfaces since they look like CDC, but are not 100% CDC Descriptors.

From the Windows config screen this device has a boatload of interfaces that I just don't see with the device plugged into MacOS X. Also this device takes a long time to enumerate which suggests to me that it re-enumerates at least once on windows.

I really don't think it is worth the time and effort to support the VL600 especially since the Pantech has much better performance. If LG can't get their act together and write decent firmware, I say it's their loss. Verizon seems content to have all these vendors dream up their own software specification, rather than adhere to open standards for USB network devices, sheesh..

Here is how the LG looks plugged into a machine running MacOS. The one thing that seems suspect to me in the Windows enumeration, is that they might be using Mux Mode, which is essentially that the driver sends serial , diagnostic, ethernet data over a single endpoint.

High Speed device @ 3 (0x24100000): ............................................. Communication device: "LG UDC-AHB Subsystem"
    Device Descriptor
    Descriptor Version Number: 0x0200
    Device Class: 2 (Communication)
    Device Subclass: 2
    Device Protocol: 1
    Device MaxPacketSize: 64
    Device VendorID/ProductID: 0x1004/0x61AA (LG Electronics Inc.)
    Device Version Number: 0x0100
    Number of Configurations: 1
    Manufacturer String: 1 "LG ELECTRONICSInc"
    Product String: 2 "LG UDC-AHB Subsystem"
    Serial Number String: 0 (none)
    Configuration Descriptor
    Length (and contents): 145
    Number of Interfaces: 4
    Configuration Value: 1
    Attributes: 0x80 (bus-powered)
    MaxPower: 400 ma
    Interface #0 - Communications-Control
    Interface #1 - Communications-Data/Unknown Comm Class Model
    Interface #2 - Communications-Control
    Interface #3 - Communications-Data/Unknown Comm Class Model
    Device Qualifier Descriptor
    Other Speed Configuration Descriptor
    Updated post #11
    see foot of / may be of help

also see post #2 on initial suggestions . athough the interface names may differ , the cdc ethernet is based in the same RNDIS , see links to the driver
    http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.36/d...sb/cdc_ether.c

As regards the cd usb-rndis-lite/ (updated link at post #11)

direct to how to cdc-ethernet

http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/

alexfish

AS a note Pharscape have HSO connect which operates on the same principal (almost).. May be Worth Reading through the source codes

other possibility is to use the pppd endpoint ( these can be address or mac addresses)
    Last edited by alexfish; January 13th, 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

bumping

as regards these devices with cdc_ether interface and previously posted

Possibly look at How the HSO connect works

Can have a look at this thread , it may throw some light on the subject

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1669429

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post10490373

possible editing a few files in the Wader Core may get these Devices Up and running

But can't imagine this is for a novice , but it may enable these devices to run at full Bore

regards

alexfish

Beans

Just to update this thread I had some success talking to the AT port of the device. The USB analyzer logs posted by aport and Planck'sCnst have been very helpful in figuring it out, as well as the shopping mall where I'm using the free wifi internet before I can connect through the dongle

I haven't had success accessing internet through the dongle yet, but I can send/receive AT, send the binary frames -- without understanding them -- which make the dongle connect (i.e. led starts blinking green) and I believe I also have the ethernet frames decoding/encoding although not confirmed because not knowing the gateway ip etc I couldn't get any communication going on yet. I'll post more information when I figure this part out.

For now I have posted a dummy "terminal emulator" python script which just takes what you type and adds the header that the modem is expecting and then sends it to /dev/ttyACM0, and also strips the headers of what the modem returns so you can run AT commands.
    http://openstreetmap.pl/balrog/vl600-com.py

The AT interface is so bad that practically no command works exactly the way it should according to the GSM specs. Most commands are just plain broken, although there are some interesting ones. Don't run AT%FRST, this will brick the device and you'll need the firmware reflashed (at least I hope this will fix it as I've just bricked my device and have no windows machine, so I'm hoping they can do it for me at the Verizon store)

(EDIT: Verizon said they'd replace it because they couldn't get the firmware upgrade working "because the dongle won't connect in the first place" -- I suggested connting through WiFi or cable or another dongle, they tried it and couldn't get it to work. Since they're replacing it I didn't want to insist, the downside is it'll take until Thursday -- the other options since I just bought the dongle this week was to take it to the store where I got it, return and ask for another one but it'd take even longer. So in the end I don't know if firmware upgrade fixes this -- bottom line is don't try AT%FRST -- that's factory reset)

The modem expects a similar encapsulation as on the CDC ACM port, on all its ethernet frames too. Hopefully I will have it confirmed to be working these days.
    Last edited by balrog-kun; March 23rd, 2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Story updated

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by balrog-kun View Post
    Just to update this thread I had some success talking to the AT port of the device. The USB analyzer logs posted by aport and Planck'sCnst have been very helpful in figuring it out, as well as the shopping mall where I'm using the free wifi internet before I can connect through the dongle

I haven't had success accessing internet through the dongle yet, but I can send/receive AT, send the binary frames -- without understanding them -- which make the dongle connect (i.e. led starts blinking green) and I believe I also have the ethernet frames decoding/encoding although not confirmed because not knowing the gateway ip etc I couldn't get any communication going on yet. I'll post more information when I figure this part out.

For now I have posted a dummy "terminal emulator" python script which just takes what you type and adds the header that the modem is expecting and then sends it to /dev/ttyACM0, and also strips the headers of what the modem returns so you can run AT commands.
    http://openstreetmap.pl/balrog/vl600-com.py

The AT interface is so bad that practically no command works exactly the way it should according to the GSM specs. Most commands are just plain broken, although there are some interesting ones. Don't run AT%FRST, this will brick the device and you'll need the firmware reflashed (at least I hope this will fix it as I've just bricked my device and have no windows machine, so I'm hoping they can do it for me at the Verizon store)

(EDIT: Verizon said they'd replace it because they couldn't get the firmware upgrade working "because the dongle won't connect in the first place" -- I suggested connting through WiFi or cable or another dongle, they tried it and couldn't get it to work. Since they're replacing it I didn't want to insist, the downside is it'll take until Thursday -- the other options since I just bought the dongle this week was to take it to the store where I got it, return and ask for another one but it'd take even longer. So in the end I don't know if firmware upgrade fixes this -- bottom line is don't try AT%FRST -- that's factory reset)

The modem expects a similar encapsulation as on the CDC ACM port, on all its ethernet frames too. Hopefully I will have it confirmed to be working these days.
    Watching with great interest!

Beans

Smile Re: NEW verizon lg vl600 4g(lte) aircard not working

Ok, so now I'm actually connected from Linux with this dongle (yay, no more sitting in the mall). The replacement from Verizon arrived yesterday (so three days after they ordered it instead of one) and I only got my hands on it today.

I've put all the things you need to connect into a github repository at
    https://github.com/balrog-kun/LG-VL600-utils

I'm running Gentoo and I've been testing download speeds from different Gentoo mirrors in USA. Most give me about 500 KB/s but some get up to steady 900 KB/s with spikes of up to 1.2 MB/s, so not bad!

You need a kernel patch for network communication (I added a patch against 2.6.38 to the repo linked above) and you need the python scripts in there to make the dongle connect in the first place.

• vl600-attach.py makes it connect, (EDIT: ah yes, after that run the DHCP client on eth2/eth3 - whatever the new interface is named - to really get connected. On most distros you need to run "dhdpcd eth2", although I think Ubuntu uses "dhclient" instead)
    • vl600-detach.py makes it disconnect (for use before unplugging the modem -- not sure if that is really needed, but just in case)
    • vl600-com.py gives you a terminal (rather useless since the modem fails at almost any AT command, and those that do work, don't comply with standards)
    • The bandwidth usage data that I hear is displayed on Windows would also be easy to query using the sequences from the usb analyzer log posted earlier.

Run these scripts as root or someone with write access to /dev/ttyACM* -- on Gentoo you just need to add yourself to the "uucp" group for that. dhcpcd does need root.

The kernel driver still drops some received frames, most likely because it assumes every USB frame corresponds to one network frame. I'm going to fix it when I'm annoyed enough by it and then try to send this patch upstream so you don't need a patched kernel.

Only tested with the un-upgraded original VL600 firmware. As has been said before your SIM probably needs to be activated/provisioned first (but somone would actually have to test it with a virgin SIM to confirm). You can probably do that activation on Windows but if you don't have a Windows/Mac machine there's a chance they can do it at the Verizon store. I have no Windows/Mac machines and this worked.
    Last edited by balrog-kun; March 27th, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

Beans

balrog-kun,

Wow! So close here!

I was able to use your kernel patch to get the device to load on eth2.

As root, I was able to get the VL 600 to connect (green light) using the python scripts and when I was in a 4G covered area I even picked up an address.

My local machine routes adjusted and everything looked good, except I don't believe I was able to pass traffic beyond the dhclient requests.

I tried some directed dig dns queries and pings without success. I do not have a kernel based firewall or anything, my iptables -L policies are set to accept without any rules.

Did you run into anything like this while you were building your scripts and driver?

Thanks for your efforts!

wyretrip

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast