Thread: Brand new Starling NetBook; install failed and can't install from CD or USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Brand new Starling NetBook; install failed and can't install from CD or USB

Just got my brand new Starling NetBook. Booted it up and filled out my name etc. When I was done configuring the setup, it gave me an error I regret not writing down saying that installation could not complete. I clicked "retry" once, but got the same error, so I clicked "continue anyway" and it restarted.

After restarting, I am now getting the message "No init found. Try passing init= bootarg." I'm then given a "(initramfs)" shell and can navigate around the file system.

I wasn't sure what to do on that shell, so I decided to just install a fresh copy of Ubuntu, since I wanted 10.10 anyway (having used it in the past). I first tried installing Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 x64 since the Atom N550 it came with is 64-bit.

My first attempt was with a CD ROM I already had and was known to work with a USB CD-ROM drive. After reconfiguring the boot priority, it clearly tried to boot off of it and would display an Ubuntu purple screen momentarily but then hang with a blinking text cursor.

I thought maybe I was wrong about the netbook being 64-bit compatible or that the USB CD ROM drive was broken, so I then tried making a bootable USB memory stick with Ubuntu 10.10 NetBook (32-bit) from my Ubuntu desktop and I tried making a bootable memory stick with Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop x64 from a Windows Vista desktop by following the instructions on the Ubuntu web site. Neither one worked--same problem as the CD.

Given I've never successfully installed off of USB, I gave the CD ROM one last try, this time with Ubuntu 10.10 (32-bit) NetBook edition on a freshly burned disc. Still get nothing but the blinking cursor.

Halp?

(EDIT) Solution:

Reinstall using the Ubuntu 10.04.1 x64 Alternate; 10.10 did not work (all combinations of NetBook/Desktop/Alternate, x64/32-bit) and 10.04 x64 also did not work.
    Last edited by Sydius; December 7th, 2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Adding solution.
    Professional and hobbyist programmer. Current project: Odysi and SydMVC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Brand new Starling NetBook; install failed and can't install from CD or USB

I just tried booting it again and immediately got "Keyboard controller error" with a loud beeping. I'm afraid this is looking more and more like a HW issue?

Edit: oddly, I was able to press F1 to continue, so the KB wasn't broken or anything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Was able to get to the menu by pressing enter while the Ubuntu 10.10 x64 CD was booting (during the purple screen it gets to before hanging); currently doing a memory test for kicks.

Edit: the memory test passed.
    Last edited by Sydius; December 7th, 2010 at 12:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It sounds to me like the CD you tried to use was bad. You might try checking it. To check it, press a key at the first screen you see when you boot from it (The purple one with the white symbols on the bottom). In the menu that appears, select a language, then select "Check CD for Defects" Let this run until it's finished, and it will check the entire CD for any errors. If there are any, consider re-downloading and re-burning at the slowest possible speed.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    It sounds to me like the CD you tried to use was bad. You might try checking it. To check it, press a key at the first screen you see when you boot from it (The purple one with the white symbols on the bottom). In the menu that appears, select a language, then select "Check CD for Defects" Let this run until it's finished, and it will check the entire CD for any errors. If there are any, consider re-downloading and re-burning at the slowest possible speed.
    It would also hang at the cursor when I chose to check the CD from the menu. This happened with both the Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop x64 CD as well as with the Ubuntu 10.10 NetBook CD. I had used the Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop x64 CD before to install Ubuntu on my desktop and had no issues, but I popped it into my desktop anyway to check it and it passed without any problems. As I mentioned in my original post, I also tried both versions of Ubuntu from a USB memory stick as well.

Edit: I also hang at the cursor if I choose the try-before-installing option, for what that's worth.
    Last edited by Sydius; December 7th, 2010 at 01:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried adding "xforcevesa noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll" in place of "quiet splash" per this thread. A lot of text then scrolls past and it stops after "ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)", but I'm not sure if that's even an error or just more startup spam. I didn't see anything else that jumped out as an error, but couldn't see most of it as it scrolled past too quickly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems to boot from the Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop CD. So maybe it's something specific to 10.10 that it doesn't like?

Other things I tried (but didn't work):

• Reseated the hard drive
    • Disabling the HD from BIOS then booting from 10.10 Live CD (both NetBook and Desktop)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop x64 Live CD boots fine, installation stops at 93% with the status of "Configuring hardware..."

Edit: The 10.10 x64 alternate image hangs (from USB memory stick) after choosing a keyboard layout and country.

Edit 2: I also tried the 10.10 x64 alternate image from a CD and it also hangs, though it doesn't seem to be a specific step--it just hangs after about a second or two of being on the language selection page.
    Last edited by Sydius; December 7th, 2010 at 04:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Success! I was able to install using the Ubuntu 10.04.1 x64 Alternate CD. Everything seems fine now, though I'm a little scared to upgrade now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It actually looks as if the HD is bad. Running badblocks reports a number of bad blocks and smartmontools fails right away with a read error for both short and long tests. I've sent an e-mail to support to ask about returning either the HD or the whole netbook for a replacement.