Thread: OMG Freaking out Help!

Beans

OMG Freaking out Help!

I was just trying to change a folder permission so I could move something into a specific folder. /usr/share i beleive. I found a thread on this forum and followed it (yes im still pretty new to Ubuntu) I think the command was something like sudo chmod R770 * I entered my PW and as my screen blinked a couple times. All of a sudden all my icons in my panel were X's and I cant use any programs at all. My friend suggested I try and restart. Which I did. Now its just a blank black screen. I dont know what exactly I did or how to fix it Please help me out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: OMG Freaking out Help!

See this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1643346

Try creating a live disc and changing permissions from there.
    Last edited by Habeouscorpus; December 12th, 2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: stupid answer, thought about it again
    Imitation is suicide...To be great is to be misunderstood.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Christie_k22 View Post
    I was just trying to change a folder permission so I could move something into a specific folder. /usr/share i beleive. I found a thread on this forum and followed it (yes im still pretty new to Ubuntu) I think the command was something like sudo chmod R770 * I entered my PW and as my screen blinked a couple times. All of a sudden all my icons in my panel were X's and I cant use any programs at all. My friend suggested I try and restart. Which I did. Now its just a blank black screen. I dont know what exactly I did or how to fix it Please help me out!
    By far and away the easiest fix is to reinstall. I have seen one person fix this, took a few days, perhaps a week, and I do not know if the fix worked long term.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Christie_k22 View Post
    No no NO!. /usr/share is a system folder that you should not touch under any circumstances!

This might fix things (it will set the permissions to what my system has):
    Code:
    cd /usr/share
    sudo chmod 755 *
    Do not blindly follow instructions telling you to anything with sudo unless you are happy that you system might get hosed (including this one!)
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

It wasn't

sudo chmod -R 770 *

was it? I suspect your looking at a reinstall (depending on the folder you were in).

In the future if you want to move some files to /usr/share, or some other system folder, press Alt + F2 and type

gksudo nautilus

to open nautilus with root permissions. Move the files and then close nautilus right away.

Kind regards.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans

thankyou all for the quick replies! I am not so much worried about the system itself as much as the data I have on the system. I was planning on reinstalling (on a new hdd) come tomorrow anyways and was just trying something out before doing so. Obviously not what I should have done . . . The other thing I didn't think to mention (and the reason I am doing the other install) is that I have Studio right now and was going to standard distro. Don't believe there is a live cd for studio . . .

Beans

Well, first backup your data, then re-install. Trying to fix a mess like that is usually not worth the effort.

Beans

how do i back up data if i cant even get to the desktop? Like I said Im not so much worried about setting everything back up as much as Im worried about all my docs/vids/music/pics/etc

Beans

I just wanted to say thanks again for every ones help and quick responses. Tho everything isnt where I would like it . . . I can rest easy tonight knowing that it will all be ok tomorrow. Don't be surprised if I am on here asking more questions tomorrow. The only 2 people I know that have ever used linux were ones that I introduced to it so don't have any where else to turn when things go wrong . . . <3 you all . . . I'm going to bed! Goodnite everyone!

<3 Christie

P.S. Can someone change the name of this thread to "What not to do"? LAWL!

Beans

Howdy,

Backup your data using the installation CD.