Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by larrypg View Post
    Thank you for the response.

I have run defrag and chkdsk in between each install and remove. Each time I install it does the same thing as stated in my previous post.

I only have 256M ram and noticed when I run top it is showing no swap. Although it worked fine when I installed it in the past I am wondering if there is a way to setup swap before it does it itself. I can get to a terminal so am able to run commands. Or that might have nothing to do with it

Thanks for any help.
    With 256MB RAM - that's an absolute minimum to install with Wubi (it uses ubiquity and 256 is the minimum) and it's probably very slow to run. Even though you have 256 there may be some memory that's already assigned so that might explain why the installer is freezing.

You should probably be doing a partitioned install and using the alternate installer which requires less RAM and then choosing lubuntu or xubuntu to get the best experience.

PS use the "free" command to check memory use and swap.

Beans

Cool Re: Wubi megathread

Hey!
    i'm new to linux os but i have been trying out different ones trying to find the right one for me. but is seems as though something went wrong when i installed wubi. i am now getting the GNU GRUB version 0.97 age upon start up, which I am a complete novice to. I've been trying several different things but cannot figure it out. When i try 'initrd' it says 'linux kernel must be loaded before initrd'. But i cannot figure out how to load the kernel. Please help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heather.rose73 View Post
    Hey!
    i'm new to linux os but i have been trying out different ones trying to find the right one for me. but is seems as though something went wrong when i installed wubi. i am now getting the GNU GRUB version 0.97 age upon start up, which I am a complete novice to. I've been trying several different things but cannot figure it out. When i try 'initrd' it says 'linux kernel must be loaded before initrd'. But i cannot figure out how to load the kernel. Please help.
    Please follow Rubi1200's instructions to post the bootinfoscript. This will help us figure out what's going on. Thanks
    PS welcome to the Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    We probably need more information to be able to help you with this.

I suggest you do the following:

Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose the option "Try Ubuntu without any changes." Once the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script which is in a zipped file. There is a link in my signature.
    2. Once downloaded, move the boot info script by either copying or dragging and dropping the zipped folder onto the desktop and unzip the contents by using right-click Extract here.
    3. Open the folder and copy the script to the desktop (you can also drag and drop if you like)
    4. Open a terminal and run the following command

Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh
    This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here in a new post. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

Beans

Hi, I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 using Wubi through Windows 7. It seems to be working but it will not connect to my wired internet connection. It works fine in windows though.

Any clues?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ccleary777 View Post
    Hi, I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 using Wubi through Windows 7. It seems to be working but it will not connect to my wired internet connection. It works fine in windows though.

Any clues?
    Hi Welcome the forums. Try the Networking & Wireless subforum. They have sticky threads that deal with trouble shooting - identifying your wireless card is the first step, and providing enough information to get help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for any help. I made a small swap partition on another drive which allowed me to get over the hump of installing. Now everything installed and is working fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by larrypg View Post
    Thanks for any help. I made a small swap partition on another drive which allowed me to get over the hump of installing. Now everything installed and is working fine.
    Great! That's an innovative idea.

Beans

Thank you for your suggestion but I don't even have a desktop. All that comes up when I start my computer is the black screen of grub. I am currently using a different computer to look up possible ways to fix mine. I think what happened is that windows and ubuntu did not configure correctly so i'm trying to figure out how to load one of the OSs from grub, or possibly from a USB stick but so far I have had no luck....what information do you need to be able to try and help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heather.rose73 View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion but I don't even have a desktop. All that comes up when I start my computer is the black screen of grub. I am currently using a different computer to look up possible ways to fix mine. I think what happened is that windows and ubuntu did not configure correctly so i'm trying to figure out how to load one of the OSs from grub, or possibly from a USB stick but so far I have had no luck....what information do you need to be able to try and help?
    It's difficult to know what has happened since grub 0.97 is grub legacy (not used since release 9.04) - and also wubi doesn't replace the windows bootloader with grub. So, the fact that you get this on startup is puzzling.

If you can boot a CD or a USB stick, then I'd suggest booting Ubuntu in live cd/usb mode and running the bootinfoscript. If you cannot do that, and you have a windows repair CD you could install the windows bootloader.

Beans

Hello, I am getting an error when trying to install Ubuntu with Wubi.
    I have a screenshot of the error below.

Please help, I want Ubuntu so bad

Page 62 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast