Page 3 of 121 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Wubi megathread

omg thank you all so much it worked!!! you saved my ***!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think I've got wubi on my computer. I put it through a few hard boots and now I can't get Ubuntu to start up like I used to be able to. Can someone help me? I have a lot of important photos on Ubuntu and I need to be able to access them. I don't know much about computers so go easy on me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by domoappo View Post
    I think I've got wubi on my computer. I put it through a few hard boots and now I can't get Ubuntu to start up like I used to be able to. Can someone help me? I have a lot of important photos on Ubuntu and I need to be able to access them. I don't know much about computers so go easy on me.
    So Rubi1200 is offline but I suspect if you can run this command from a booted Ubuntu live cd, it will help them.

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Nice layout Rubi1200 a guy could get comfortable around now where's the bar.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; December 10th, 2010 at 08:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    So Rubi1200 is offline but I suspect if you can run this command from a booted Ubuntu live cd, it will help them.

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Nice layout Rubi1200 a guy could get comfortable around now where's the bar.
    Yes, the output of fdisk will definitely help, but we also need more information such as which version of Windows, which Ubuntu version etc.

And thanks wilee-nilee for the compliment.

Beans

Smile Re: Wubi megathread

I had problem #1 due to Grub Update on a Wubi Install where Ubuntu is not installed on the same partition as Windows, and first I followed solution #1 for Problem #2. It did not seem to work. Then i applied Solution #1 for Problem #1 and now I'm able to boot into Windows. Thanks for that solution.

Although, I'm also observing that there's a Ubuntu option on my screen at boot time same as prior to the Grub-Update. Is this the fixed & updated version of my Wubi install and should I try to boot into it ? and if that succeeds, what are the possible steps so that this problem won't repeat itself ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Amit_Olkar View Post
    I had problem #1 due to Grub Update on a Wubi Install where Ubuntu is not installed on the same partition as Windows, and first I followed solution #1 for Problem #2. It did not seem to work. Then i applied Solution #1 for Problem #1 and now I'm able to boot into Windows. Thanks for that solution.

Although, I'm also observing that there's a Ubuntu option on my screen at boot time same as prior to the Grub-Update. Is this the fixed & updated version of my Wubi install and should I try to boot into it ? and if that succeeds, what are the possible steps so that this problem won't repeat itself ?
    yes, you can boot into it. it should be fine.

The permanent fix is to never update grub-pc and grub-common. If you do, then when it prompts you just don't select to install it to any devices.

Beans
    Distro

I'm using Vista, and I think I was using Ubuntu 10.10. I don't have a live CD.
    "Only a life lived for others is worth living." - Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

You definitely need to boot from a Live CD or USB. If you've got a USB drive and access to some other computer with internet access, download the Ubuntu ISO image and burn it to USB drive. You can do it from Windows that you are still able to boot on your own computer (??).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi and welcome to the forums

You need to provide us with more information if we are going to help you.

Things like can you still boot Windows, error messages, and the like are useful.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I was using Wubi for a while and then one day it wouldn't let me use Ubuntu. As my computer would start up I would hit F12 and choose between Vista and Ubuntu. I have a whole lot of images I need, saved on Ubuntu. One day instead of running Ubuntu I got a screen that was kind of like the terminal thing where you type stuff in and make stuff happen. It was telling me to use TAB to access my options. I had a friend look at it and he kept saying the terminal thingey wouldn't read 'sudo' whatever that is. He put in a CD and made Ubuntu run again, but he couldn't find my photos. I can still run Vista, but is there any way I can get my pictures?
    "Only a life lived for others is worth living." - Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 121 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast