Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by Klea292 View Post
    I keep getting the "gave up waiting for root device" on a fresh install from wubi on 12.04. I used to use linux all the time and just now decided to come back to it, through my searching I just can't fix it. Any ideas please?
    Please post the results of the bootinfoscript

Thanks

Beans

How would I go about doing that in BusyBox before even going through installation? My error looks like this:

Code:
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
      - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
      - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    -Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; is dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/AO8EF45B8EF42C02 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Busybox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4) built in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
    (initramfs)
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Klea292 View Post
    How would I go about doing that in BusyBox before even going through installation? My error looks like this:

Code:
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
      - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
      - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    -Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; is dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/AO8EF45B8EF42C02 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Busybox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4) built in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
    (initramfs)
    Thanks!
    You need to boot from a live CD/USB.

Do you have some sort of fakeraid setup on your computer?

Beans

I installed Ubuntu via wubi. Is there a way how I can access my files in ubuntu via windows and the other way around?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shadowstep0705 View Post
    I installed Ubuntu via wubi. Is there a way how I can access my files in ubuntu via windows and the other way around?
    From Windows point this tool at the root.disk for read-only access: http://ext2read.blogspot.com/

From Ubuntu, you windows partition is mounted as /host

I normally keep data (images, jpeg, video, etc) on a separate partition so I can share it among all operating systems. Also, don't keep important data on the root.disk because it's less reliable and it's also easier to share it via /host or on another partition than accessing the root.disk from Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    From Windows point this tool at the root.disk for read-only access: http://ext2read.blogspot.com/

From Ubuntu, you windows partition is mounted as /host

I normally keep data (images, jpeg, video, etc) on a separate partition so I can share it among all operating systems. Also, don't keep important data on the root.disk because it's less reliable and it's also easier to share it via /host or on another partition than accessing the root.disk from Windows.
    That works! Thank you

Beans

Hi. After installing Ubuntu without error with Wubi, I get an error on boot as described here reading something to the effect of: "Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

I've tried replacing C:\wubildr with C:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr as suggested in the first post in this thread, but it made no difference.

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello, afeder.

bcbc has already pointed out what is at the bottom of your problem, has he not?
    Please, read the Launchpad bug report which he pointed you to: Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI
    The error message reported in the Launchpad bug report matches your screenshot.
    So I have my serious doubts that ignoring bcbc's answer and repeating your question in this Wubi Mega Thread will bring you any closer to a solution.
    Provided your Windows system uses UEFI boot, your Wubi installation will never work, because Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI.
    Sorry, but currently there does not seem to be any solution.
    Personally, I would subscribe to that Launchpad bug thread and wait and see if a bugfix for Wubi will be made available some day in the future.

Kind regards,
    Karl
    "I killed her in pure self-defense", said the bear after crushing the mouse. "She threatened my life."
    War (What is it good for)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Karlchen View Post
    Hello, afeder.

bcbc has already pointed out what is at the bottom of your problem, has he not?
    Please, read the Launchpad bug report which he pointed you to: Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI
    The error message reported in the Launchpad bug report matches your screenshot.
    So I have my serious doubts that ignoring bcbc's answer and repeating your question in this Wubi Mega Thread will bring you any closer to a solution.
    Provided your Windows system uses UEFI boot, your Wubi installation will never work, because Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI.
    Sorry, but currently there does not seem to be any solution.
    Personally, I would subscribe to that Launchpad bug thread and wait and see if a bugfix for Wubi will be made available some day in the future.

Kind regards,
    Karl
    As much as I appreciate your condescending tone towards newcomers, bcbc posted his reply 3 hours after the post you are responding to. I posted here because I was advised to do so by Frogs Hair here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello, afeder.

bcbc posted his reply 3 hours after the post you re responding to
    Sorry, have not taken the pain and checked the timestamps. - OK, I see and apologize. When asking here you had not had a chance of reading bcbc's reply.

Anyway. The really relevant question is:
    Are you affected by the Wubi boot loader bug discussed in the Launchpad bug thread? If your Windows uses Uefi boot and has replaced the MBR by GPT then you are. In this case there does not seem to exist a solution to the reported problem at this point in time.
    In case your system does use a good old-fashioned normal MBR then it will be necessary to continue analyzing what causes the reported problem.

Kind regards,
    Karl
    Last edited by Karlchen; October 15th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
    "I killed her in pure self-defense", said the bear after crushing the mouse. "She threatened my life."
    War (What is it good for)

Page 110 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast