Page 10 of 121 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    @kansasnoob,

This thread has been very carefully written by Rubi1200 and I don't feel it's fair to imply that this had some part in causing the loss of Ubuntu.

If you can show a particular area of text that is confusing or can be improved then feel free to mention that. I don't recall anyone suggesting doing a System Restore to fix a bootloader.

I know you're frustrated, but I think you need to direct that at the right place. We are trying hard to help and we can't force the developers or Canonical to fix the bugs.

EDIT:
    here is the link to the bugs http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=68
    That was not my intent

My frustration is with the Ubuntu devs/Canonical at this point.

I think if you re-read my post you'll see that. Thanks for the link.

As a side note I guess my opinion in the following post was more appropriate:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=92

The real problem is that most of those who have experienced data/OS loss probably wouldn't see our warning(s)! Very early into this debacle I addressed both Ayatana, and the ubuntu-installer-team, and I was ignored. Only recently have any of my bugs even gained a status beyond "won't fix".

ATM my feeling is that I've done all I can other than helping Herman with some captions, which I need to get back to ASAP. Based on previous experience I think it's incredibly doubtful that they'll create a replacement iso for 10.10 anyway.

I even cc'ed SABDFL with my concerns about the new ubiquity and if he isn't concerned why should I be? Maybe he wants to move away from providing noobs with a safe dual-boot
    Combined with the difficulty posting it can get to be almost too much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@kansasnoob,

Yes I see now what you meant. My apologies. I thought you were implying that our help (this thread) was having an unintended consequence; whereas you meant people are literally asking us for help to rid themselves of Ubuntu.

I've emailed a couple of big wigs myself about these problems... but received no response.

I know you do a lot of good work helping others e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/576724 (which is where this whole thing started - and continues for Wubi).

Good luck with Ayatana!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'd like to add something to this too.

We (myself, bcbc, and drs305) have tried to ensure that the Wubi Megathread is as clear as possible for users.

The majority of users who have asked for help have been satisfied with the fixes we provided (I have received numerous PM messages offering thanks for the Megathread).

In some cases, users have even dropped Wubi and decided to go for a normal install (something bcbc and I have also helped with).

The thread you linked to is the exception to the rule not the norm in my opinion.

Moreover, if you look at the number of views this thread has received, it is obvious that we are making a difference.

But, and here is where it gets awkward, we are in a rather tenuous position.

On the one hand, we all want users to try Ubuntu (Wubi too) and yet it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify using something which either breaks with the first update or even wipes out your whole installation.

On the other hand, we are faced with developers (and Canonical itself by extension) who seem either oblivious that there is a problem or have their minds set on a larger goal.

As they say, in war there are casualties.

It is unfortunate, but we may have to accept that this is something over which we have little or no say.

I have also been working behind the scenes trying to figure out how to deal with the regular 10.10 installer and its behavior.

Initial testing proved what you already confirmed regarding the use of the "install alongside" option. Namely, that is wipes out other installations.

However, and this is something I need to try and confirm, there does not appear to be a pattern as to when, how, or why the installer sometimes uses the option as we would have expected and when it destroys other operating systems.

I have seen plenty of threads where the user reported using that option with no unusual consequences.

Is there a pattern? If so, can we find a way to work around it?

As usual, any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Beans

Hi, I am new at this forum. I have been using Ubuntu for 3-4 moths and I think it's the best OS. I am with Wubi install. A month ago I updated from 10.04.1 to 10.10 and then appeared that nasty grub problem. I searched on the net for solution and I find that one - replacing c:\wubildr file with c:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr file. I did it, rebooted and everything was fine - I could use Ubuntu again. Yesterday I made the updates of Ubuntu. After restart and boot into Ubuntu there were again the grub prompt. I restarted again and booted into Windows in order to repeat the procedure as before. I copied c:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr file over c:\wubildr file, restarted and booted into Ubuntu. But again grub prompt. Then I found this thread and realized I have Problem#2 and chose Solution#3. Firs I tried to boot into Ubuntu from the GRUB prompt following these instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=33 But when I wrote line 3 (loopback (loop0) /ubuntu/disks/root.disk) it said something like "no such file or directory". I thought I had written wrong partitions so I quited grub. I used Live CD to boot into Ubuntu, then ran the boot info script to see which partition I need and I found out it's sda1(but I am not sure). I tried again to boot from grub but it didn't work. I abandoned this solution and tried Solution#1. I booted into Ubuntu via Live CD, opened the terminal and typed:
    sudo mkdir /media/win
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/win
    sudo mount -o loop /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /mnt
    After the third line it said "no such file or directory".
    So where is this file? Did I write wrong partition?
    Here is my RESULTS.TXT file:
    RESULTS.txt
    And i forgot to say - in one of the restarts when booted into Windows there was chdsk.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi and welcome to the forums

You are right that sda1 is the Windows/Wubi partition.

However, the reason that you ran into the problem is that the root.disk file is missing.

If you look at the main post in this thread there are a couple of examples of how the files look and you can see what I mean.

I suspect that chkdsk removed the root.disk (we have seen this happen before).

What you need to do is enable hidden files and folders in Windows and then look at the root of the C drive for a folder named C:\FOUND.0000 or something similar. If you do find it just move the root.disk back to the Ubuntu folder on C.

If not, then I am afraid you have probably lost the Wubi install and will have to start again.

If that is the case, to prevent this happening again lock the grub-pc and grub-common packages in Ubuntu after a fresh install (see main post just after the Permanent Fix on how to do this).

Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

bouncy93,

Welcome to the Ubuntu forums.

In the RESULTS.txt you posted, this section should contain an entry for
    /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    Yours does not:
    sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows XP
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Boot files/dirs: /boot.ini /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM /wubildr.mbr
    /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /wubildr
    /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr
    You should try to find the /ubuntu/disks folder and the root.disk file, which is your Ubuntu file. If you find it, move the /disks folder to /ubuntu/ . Until you can find the root.disks file you aren't going to be able to use your Wubi OS.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thanks for quick reply.

I searched everywhere for root.disk or folder named FOUND.0000 but I find nothing. I find only file named .fuse_hidden0000000400000001 in c:\ubuntu\install but I think this won't work.

So there is no way to recover any data from Wubi?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bouncy93 View Post
    So there is no way to recover any data from Wubi?
    Except for boot information, all your Wubi data files would be stored within the root.disk file.

You could use any data recovery tools to try to find the lost/misplaced/deleted file. I'd concentrate on Windows file recovery apps since the Wubi file is just another Windows file as far as the OS is concerned.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I hope I did good, this is what I sent:

Title:

Killing ourselves softly with our own song?
    Too rough?

Text:

I'd like to begin with a quote from Ivanka Majic here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...87/comments/31

"The installation experience should be attractive and effortless to reassure new users that Ubuntu is the right choice. The process should feel safe and should only highlight risk when necessary (e.g. when data will be destroyed)."

Unfortunately the 10.10 installer has resulted in the loss of existing operating systems and data:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/655950

Please check the duplicates!

Thankfully that's finally garnered some attention recently but how many potential Ubuntu converts did we lose because the installer hosed their existing OS and/or data?

Equally as bad, or possibly worse, are the ongoing problems with Wubi installs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/653134

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/682337

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/610898

While I personally don't use Wubi this is a major problem. Quite often people perform a Wubi install with no external media available (neither a Windows recovery disc or an Ubuntu Live CD) and after their first update in Ubuntu they find they can't boot.

What impression do either of these situations leave on potential Ubuntu converts?

I think we need to increase our focus on bugs that destroy data or the ability to boot an existing OS.

These bugs are harming our reputation.
    I'm sorry if any of those involved in creating this guide thought I was criticizing them. That was not the case.

I'm not one to just "give up" on something I believe in, and I believe that Ubuntu is still great, but they seem to be ignoring some very important bugs.

Beans

I've tried many times to post this:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg04718.html

I was not being critical!

Page 10 of 121 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast