Page 97 of 121 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

Hello. Although this is my first time that I have (tried to) use ubuntu through wubi or VirtualBox, I am still getting errors that I am unable to find anywhere else. I have a MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard (if it helps this is a custom built desktop). I also have a AMD Phenom II x4 975 processor clocked at 4.068 GHz. I am running Windows 7 Home Edition, and I do not wish to delete it. When I install Ubuntu through Wubi, the next restart I get an error that that says that C:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr could not be loaded because it is missing or corrupted(0xc0000098. I have found the error in a few other places, but it is normally related to UEFI incompatibility. This doesn't concern me, since I am running BIOS. I have downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 ISO 4 times and have used a friend's LiveCD, so I am 100% sure that it is not a corrupted file. I have also gone into the C:\ubuntu\ file and wubildr.mbr is not missing or corrupted. Also, this doesn't relate to Wubi but it may help. When I run Ubuntu through Virtual Box, it is able to start up and start copying files until (this happens every time at the same place) I get this error: A critical error has occured while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped. If i choose to ignore this and continue, this error pops up:The virtual machine may run into an error condition as described below: Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM. It then pauses. I have literally allocated half of my system's RAM to it (4 GB) and it still refuses to work. I hope there is an easy fix to this that will not require a full system wipe and reinstall, since this computer is less than a year old now. Please notify me (since I am such a n00b at this) if I am posting in the wrong forum. Thank you, PortableSounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by PortableSounds View Post
    Hello. Although this is my first time that I have (tried to) use ubuntu through wubi or VirtualBox, I am still getting errors that I am unable to find anywhere else. I have a MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard (if it helps this is a custom built desktop). I also have a AMD Phenom II x4 975 processor clocked at 4.068 GHz. I am running Windows 7 Home Edition, and I do not wish to delete it. When I install Ubuntu through Wubi, the next restart I get an error that that says that C:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr could not be loaded because it is missing or corrupted(0xc0000098. I have found the error in a few other places, but it is normally related to UEFI incompatibility. This doesn't concern me, since I am running BIOS. I have downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 ISO 4 times and have used a friend's LiveCD, so I am 100% sure that it is not a corrupted file. I have also gone into the C:\ubuntu\ file and wubildr.mbr is not missing or corrupted. Also, this doesn't relate to Wubi but it may help. When I run Ubuntu through Virtual Box, it is able to start up and start copying files until (this happens every time at the same place) I get this error: A critical error has occured while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped. If i choose to ignore this and continue, this error pops up:The virtual machine may run into an error condition as described below: Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM. It then pauses. I have literally allocated half of my system's RAM to it (4 GB) and it still refuses to work. I hope there is an easy fix to this that will not require a full system wipe and reinstall, since this computer is less than a year old now. Please notify me (since I am such a n00b at this) if I am posting in the wrong forum. Thank you, PortableSounds
    The "missing or corrupted" error means that wubildr.mbr is not found. You can see it in Windows but when you are booting, it needs to be called using bios functions and it's not accessible. Why that is? I don't know. Could be a number of reasons e.g. some older bioses can't read past 137GB from the start of the disk. Doesn't seem likely if it's a new computer though.

As for the virtual box issue it's likely a totally different issue. Not really sure there either. I've been running a number of virtual machines using vmware player. Not really used virtual box much (actually just trying win 8 beta on virtual box).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wubi megathread

Hello,
    Everyone was using wubi in my windows installation earlier but my windows got corrupted and i had to resindatll but the major issue was to save my ubuntu so i copied trhe root.disk as suggested by many threads and replace it with the new installlation in the d: drive where my new ubuntu installation exists but the issue i am facing after replacing the root file is that it gets stuck at a root screen and asks for the ubuntu login which i am quite sure i have entered correctly but of no use.
    although after replacing the root file with the actual installation it works fine......
    kindly help me out!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tbhatia4 View Post
    Hello,
    Everyone was using wubi in my windows installation earlier but my windows got corrupted and i had to resindatll but the major issue was to save my ubuntu so i copied trhe root.disk as suggested by many threads and replace it with the new installlation in the d: drive where my new ubuntu installation exists but the issue i am facing after replacing the root file is that it gets stuck at a root screen and asks for the ubuntu login which i am quite sure i have entered correctly but of no use.
    although after replacing the root file with the actual installation it works fine......
    kindly help me out!!!!
    Boot the new install that's working - when you see the grub menu, hit 'E' on the first entry and write down what you see (carefully). In particular you care about the lines:
    Code:
    set root='(xxx)'
    and
    linux /vmlinuz- root=UUID=yyyyy
    Then switch to your backup root.disk, and boot, again hitting 'E' when you see the grub menu. Make sure that xxx and yyyy are the same as the working install. Then hit Ctrl+X to boot.
    When booted, drop to a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub

Beans

Wubi + windows 7,windows 8 installation possible without damaging ether existing OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

That's more of an windows issue, methinks. I would say, if you have unformatted partition, Windows 8 can live there.
    It might mess up the boot record though. I've never used 7 or 8, so no idea. One safe method can then be to back up wubi, uninstall wubi, put windows 8, and then install wubi again.
    In any case, back up your stuff before installing windows 8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello, I am experiencing the following issue:

When I install Ubuntu 11.10 using Wubi and reboot afterwords (like the install process asks me to do) a black screen appears with an error message saying "Try (hd0,0): NTFS5: error: "Prefix" is not set" and I have to reboot the pc.

I've successfully installed Ubuntu using Wubi numerous times before on this same pc, but it's the first time I encounter this error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try running chkdsk /f from windows. It sounds like there might be an issue accessing the virtual disk. Or wait a bit. It shouldn't hang. Sometimes you might not see the grub menu if grub is using an incompatible resolution (but then the whole screen should be blank), so hit enter and see if it boots.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Try running chkdsk /f from windows. It sounds like there might be an issue accessing the virtual disk. Or wait a bit. It shouldn't hang. Sometimes you might not see the grub menu if grub is using an incompatible resolution (but then the whole screen should be blank), so hit enter and see if it boots.
    I've already ran chkdsk, no errors there.

Hitting enter does not seem to have any effect either.

Page 97 of 121 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast