Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    No Windows won't care.

To remove it:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    rm /mnt/wubildr
    sudo umount /mnt
    At some point - when you are comfortable that you want to be using Ubuntu on an ongoing basis - you should probably consider switching to a full install. Wubi is great to try out Ubuntu without having to partition, but the intention of Wubi is that it will lead users to do a full install eventually. So once you start having to do these manual workarounds you can weigh the effort of partitioning etc...

See HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition
    Thanks, I am considering doing a partition. That guide that you posted about creating a partition inside of the how to migrate Wubi post is made if you are using a live CD. How to i create a partition from a Wubi Install? Heck I'll even do it from Windows 7. Or should I save this for a different forum topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Here is a nice guide by forum member bcbc:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625371

Thank's
    Have done that and solve the problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mclizardman View Post
    Thanks, I am considering doing a partition. That guide that you posted about creating a partition inside of the how to migrate Wubi post is made if you are using a live CD. How to i create a partition from a Wubi Install? Heck I'll even do it from Windows 7. Or should I save this for a different forum topic.
    That partitioning guide doesn't refer to wubi installs (or migrating wubi), so that's why there is an emphasis on the live CD, but if you first shrink the partition from Win7 then you can create new partitions in the space from the Wubi install using GParted. However, if you're trying to use GParted to split a partition that's currently in use it won't allow it.

I still recommend having an Ubuntu live CD or USB. It's a repair disk that you might need in the future. I also recommend making sure you have a windows repair disk and that your backups are in order before partitioning.

PS GParted isn't installed by default on a Wubi install - so install it from software centre or command line (sudo apt-get install gparted). It is always available on the live CD.
    Last edited by bcbc; July 18th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I installed ubuntu today in XP with WUBI and then ubuntu installed bla bla bla... but now not starting when PC boots then showing as usually XP and Ubuntu tu choose. I choose Ubuntu and then shows something "Microsoft Windows XP dev/sda1", which I dont remember all, then I go there, then shows "error: unknown command 'drivemap'" but fastly hide these words and back me again at OS choose.

dont know where is problem

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ardit ,A, View Post
    I installed ubuntu today in XP with WUBI and then ubuntu installed bla bla bla... but now not starting when PC boots then showing as usually XP and Ubuntu tu choose. I choose Ubuntu and then shows something "Microsoft Windows XP dev/sda1", which I dont remember all, then I go there, then shows "error: unknown command 'drivemap'" but fastly hide these words and back me again at OS choose.

dont know where is problem
    We probably need more information to be able to help you with this.

I suggest you do the following:

Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose the option "Try Ubuntu without any changes." Once the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script which is in a zipped file. There is a link in my signature.
    2. Once downloaded, move the boot info script by either copying or dragging and dropping the zipped folder onto the desktop and unzip the contents by using right-click Extract here.
    3. Open the folder and copy the script to the desktop (you can also drag and drop if you like)
    4. Open a terminal and run the following command

Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh
    This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here in a new post. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello all,
    I had a wubi install of Xubuntu 11.04 that was working perfectly. I decided I wanted it bigger so uninstalled it via add remove in windows.

I then installed it and it seemed to go ok until I booted to Xubuntu. In normal mode it hangs at checking the install (mouse and keyboard freeze).

If I add nomodeset to the normal mode it will get past the installing but stops at checking installation and configuration.

If I use the acpi (forget the spelling) it will go a bit farther and past the installation and configuration to checking for filesystems where it stops.

The first time I installed Xubuntu 11.04 via wubi there was no problem and it just installed fine. Not sure what has changed as it is the same cd and the same computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    No Windows won't care.

To remove it:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    rm /mnt/wubildr
    sudo umount /mnt
    At some point - when you are comfortable that you want to be using Ubuntu on an ongoing basis - you should probably consider switching to a full install. Wubi is great to try out Ubuntu without having to partition, but the intention of Wubi is that it will lead users to do a full install eventually. So once you start having to do these manual workarounds you can weigh the effort of partitioning etc...

See HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition
    Hello

Sorry if I am asking a really dumb question, but...
    My Windows machine was already partitioned (5) so when I installed wubi I installed it to an unused/spare partition. The end result was a dual-boot machine . Dual booting works perfectly fine. I wanted to make sure everything was working fine in Ubuntu before trashing Windows.

QUESTION: Do I need to do anything if/when I trash Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HarriU11-04 View Post
    Hello

Sorry if I am asking a really dumb question, but...
    My Windows machine was already partitioned (5) so when I installed wubi I installed it to an unused/spare partition. The end result was a dual-boot machine . Dual booting works perfectly fine. I wanted to make sure everything was working fine in Ubuntu before trashing Windows.

QUESTION: Do I need to do anything if/when I trash Windows?
    No dumb questions - Wubi is not straightforward.

So the answer is no - you cannot trash Windows. When you install with Wubi it uses a virtual disk as well as a boot mechanism that is dependent on the Windows OS. So even though you installed to a separate partition, it still created a virtual disk on it (the same as if you installed on windows' C: drive).

If you want to remove Windows you need to either reinstall Ubuntu or migrate your existing Wubi install.

In some ways it's easier to migrate if your Wubi was on C: since you already have that partition sitting around. But there are other options e.g. migrating from the root.disk. Have a look at the migration guide and let me know if you have any questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by larrypg View Post
    Hello all,
    I had a wubi install of Xubuntu 11.04 that was working perfectly. I decided I wanted it bigger so uninstalled it via add remove in windows.

I then installed it and it seemed to go ok until I booted to Xubuntu. In normal mode it hangs at checking the install (mouse and keyboard freeze).

If I add nomodeset to the normal mode it will get past the installing but stops at checking installation and configuration.

If I use the acpi (forget the spelling) it will go a bit farther and past the installation and configuration to checking for filesystems where it stops.

The first time I installed Xubuntu 11.04 via wubi there was no problem and it just installed fine. Not sure what has changed as it is the same cd and the same computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    It doesn't make much sense... since it's the same hardware, and same software. So I'd look at running chkdsk on Windows and also defragmenting and see if that makes a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you for the response.

I have run defrag and chkdsk in between each install and remove. Each time I install it does the same thing as stated in my previous post.

I only have 256M ram and noticed when I run top it is showing no swap. Although it worked fine when I installed it in the past I am wondering if there is a way to setup swap before it does it itself. I can get to a terminal so am able to run commands. Or that might have nothing to do with it

Thanks for any help.

Page 61 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast