Page 16 of 121 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wubi megathread

Much praise and thanks to drs305, bcbc and Rubi1200 for the solutions and this guide which was such a relief to stumble upon after a lot of searching and not really knowing what the problem was.

Being new to Ubuntu, I just registered to the forums yesterday and today, all of a sudden, the computer rebooted instead of booting ubuntu. Panic-filled hours of searching ensued. Anyways, here I am, glad now to be back in ubuntu that starts up. Considering that this seems to be a common problem, this solution was surprisingly hard to find.

I'll mention a couple things I encountered as I did the steps of the solution (soln 1 to prob 2) that made me feel that the solution might not work for me. Neither of them proved to be a problem as I just continued to follow the instructions and things worked out.

Firstly that the first "menu entry" for me was different than in the guide. I had instead:
    Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    And secondly, in RESULTS.txt before the fix it showed
    Code:
    sda2: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  Windows Vista
        Boot files/dirs:   /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe 
                           /wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /wubildr 
                           /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /ubuntu/disks/root.disk 
                           /ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda2/Wubi: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info:  
        Mounting failed:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    where I just noticed all the horrible sounding things at the end. These messages all disappeared when I ran boot_info_script again afterwards.

Sorry if the post is too long or somehow poorly formatted. It is my first . Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi
    thanx
    I too had the same problem and I fixed it myself by reinstalling ubuntu from the CD.

Beans

PLEASE IGNORE
    FOR SOME REASON ON SECOND REBOOT AFTER EDITING GRUB.CFG UBUNTU WAS LOADING PROPERLY

THANX

(Excuse the caps sorry...)

hi all,
    I am pretty new to Ubuntu and linux
    and im using Ubuntu 10.10 installed using wubi

I had the problem where windows would load but not Ubuntu so in the first post of this thread i used the problem #2's solution 1, where i boot usning a USB into ubuntu , mount my wubi installed ubuntu and edit the grub.cfg

It worked as soon as i restarted it was fine, then i locked the version of grub-pc and grup-common , but i have to agree i didnt follow the instructions to copy the grubenv or move the old grub . i just locked the grub-pc and grub-common in packet manager.

After working some time my ubuntu hung i had to power off manually and boot again , it worked that time, but after shutting down for the night booting in morning, i was not able to go in and i get the same erro i got in first place
    root.disk not found
    and gives some error about grub.cfg (which i cant fully read as it flashes) and then falls into grub prompt.

so when i tried to use the solution again boot in using USB ->mount-> edit grub.cfg
    the grub is the one i edited as per instuctions i.e the file deleted till the menuentry

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###now i am stuck dont know wat do, can any one help me in this situation
    thank you

P.S
    I have win 7 my Hard disk is partioned as 2 (C: and D: ) and i have installed wubi in D: and C: has the windows
    any more details i will be happy to provide....thanx
    Last edited by nareshmeee; February 3rd, 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Issue resolved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Once you have applied the solution and it works again, you need to also use the Permanent Fix from the same post. Don't forget to follow the instructions to lock the grub-pc and grub-common packages.

After applying the Permanent Fix, this will hopefully not happen again.
    Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ponksical View Post
    Much praise and thanks to drs305, bcbc and Rubi1200 for the solutions and this guide which was such a relief to stumble upon after a lot of searching and not really knowing what the problem was.

Being new to Ubuntu, I just registered to the forums yesterday and today, all of a sudden, the computer rebooted instead of booting ubuntu. Panic-filled hours of searching ensued. Anyways, here I am, glad now to be back in ubuntu that starts up. Considering that this seems to be a common problem, this solution was surprisingly hard to find.

I'll mention a couple things I encountered as I did the steps of the solution (soln 1 to prob 2) that made me feel that the solution might not work for me. Neither of them proved to be a problem as I just continued to follow the instructions and things worked out.

Firstly that the first "menu entry" for me was different than in the guide. I had instead:
    Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    And secondly, in RESULTS.txt before the fix it showed
    Code:
    sda2: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  Windows Vista
        Boot files/dirs:   /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe 
                           /wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /wubildr 
                           /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /ubuntu/disks/root.disk 
                           /ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda2/Wubi: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info:  
        Mounting failed:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so
    where I just noticed all the horrible sounding things at the end. These messages all disappeared when I ran boot_info_script again afterwards.

Sorry if the post is too long or somehow poorly formatted. It is my first . Thanks again.
    Formatting is great; that is exactly how we need to see it.

Post is not too long either.

So, let me address some of the points you made.

First, I/we are really pleased you found the Megathread and that it helped you get things working again.

Second, the menuentry you mention should be the first entry. I see your point about the clarity of the main post and I will update it to reflect this fact.

Lastly, the error you saw in the script about bad superblocks etc. is usually not a good sign as it indicates file-system damage etc. However, you seem to have sorted this out; excellent.

As long as you also apply the Permanent Fix, including locking the grub packages, this should hopefully not occur again.

We are trying to find ways to get the developers to recognize the problem and provide a real solution. Until then, we will do what we can to help you and other Wubi users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nareshmeee View Post
    hi all,
    I am pretty new to Ubuntu and linux
    and im using Ubuntu 10.10 installed using wubi

I had the problem where windows would load but not Ubuntu so in the first post of this thread i used the problem #2's solution 1, where i boot usning a USB into ubuntu , mount my wubi installed ubuntu and edit the grub.cfg

It worked as soon as i restarted it was fine, then i locked the version of grub-pc and grup-common , but i have to agree i didnt follow the instructions to copy the grubenv or move the old grub . i just locked the grub-pc and grub-common in packet manager.

After working some time my ubuntu hung i had to power off manually and boot again , it worked that time, but after shutting down for the night booting in morning, i was not able to go in and i get the same erro i got in first place
    root.disk not found
    and gives some error about grub.cfg (which i cant fully read as it flashes) and then falls into grub prompt.

so when i tried to use the solution again boot in using USB ->mount-> edit grub.cfg
    the grub is the one i edited as per instuctions i.e the file deleted till the menuentry

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###now i am stuck dont know wat do, can any one help me in this situation
    thank you

P.S
    I have win 7 my Hard disk is partioned as 2 (C: and D: ) and i have installed wubi in D: and C: has the windows
    any more details i will be happy to provide....thanx
    You should avoid hard shutdowns if possible... hold Alt+SysRq and press R-E-I-S-U-B. Because Wubi is running from a virtual disk that is a loop-mounted file there is a danger that you could corrupt the file under ntfs (in addition to the loop mounted ext4 file system).

So you should run chkdsk on windows - My computer, right click on D:, Properties, Tools tab, Check now under "Error Checking", check the "Automatically fix file system errors" box.
    You should also fsck the root.disk:
    1. boot a live cd
    2. mount the windows (d: ) partition on /media/win
    Code:
    sudo fsck /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    (make sure you don't mount the root.disk before running fsck).
    4. Try booting into Ubuntu again - and apply the permanent fix.
    5. Also figure out why your computer is locking up - you may have some other issues involved here.

Let us know how that goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by smalish View Post
    Thank you!
    You are more than welcome

Beans

@bcbc: thanks for all your help.

it took a few days and about 10 attempts to get the .iso to download. had to bittorrent, which we're not supposed to do, but i had too many aborted downloads to maintain sanity.

took a half dozen attempts to get a clean burn for some reason.

set up the windows partition in w7, set up the ubuntu partitions w/ gparted after booting off the cd. magnifique! legit dual boot setup.

i think wubi was creating a lot of instability in windows (it was crashing >2 times a day when i'd use it), and i had a few weird issues with ubuntu that are apparently due to operating from the windows boot manager.

thanks to all those who volunteer their time and expertise. now that i actually have a good liveboot cd i'll be using it to convert some of the other guys out here on the FOB. much *** grassy ***.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kona4breakfast View Post
    @bcbc: thanks for all your help.
    You're welcome! Glad you got it sorted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    You should avoid hard shutdowns if possible... hold Alt+SysRq and press R-E-I-S-U-B. Because Wubi is running from a virtual disk that is a loop-mounted file there is a danger that you could corrupt the file under ntfs (in addition to the loop mounted ext4 file system).

So you should run chkdsk on windows - My computer, right click on D:, Properties, Tools tab, Check now under "Error Checking", check the "Automatically fix file system errors" box.
    You should also fsck the root.disk:
    1. boot a live cd
    2. mount the windows (d: ) partition on /media/win
    Code:
    sudo fsck /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    (make sure you don't mount the root.disk before running fsck).
    4. Try booting into Ubuntu again - and apply the permanent fix.
    5. Also figure out why your computer is locking up - you may have some other issues involved here.

Let us know how that goes.
    hello bcbc thanx for the tip, though i didnt have chek disk, my ubuntu as booting in after editing the grub.cfg
    i have applied the permanent fix as mentioned
    regarding the hanging of my ubuntu, i feel its more due to my internet usage (firefox) when ever i go to media rich sites it hangs
    and also some times during low battery it goes into hibernate and does not recover...
    I will try using ur tip for Alt+Sys Res and then R-E-I-S-U-B

Page 16 of 121 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast