Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wubi megathread

Hello,
    I'm new to linux. I'm traying to instal Wubi + ubuntu 10.10. Yesterday i try and the software don't reconigse the wireless (i think).
    Can someone help?

My sytem is a Toshiba Laptop, with a Win 7 home 64 bits an I7 Q 740 8Gb ram.

Any other information you need to help please let me now.

regard's
    Miguel

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi and welcome to the forums miguelpires

As I understand it, Wubi is installed successfully?

The problem is only with the wireless connection, correct?

If Wubi did not install properly, what error messages (if any) did you get.

As far as the connection is concerned, we need to know what wireless card/modem etc. you have on the computer.

Also, if you could, post the output of the command
    Code:
    ipconfig
    from Windows or
    Code:
    ifconfig
    from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forums miguelpires

Thank's, I hoppe i can get in to the linux world!!

As I understand it, Wubi is installed successfully?

Yes, that's correct, i don't see any error message

The problem is only with the wireless connection, correct?

Yes

As far as the connection is concerned, we need to know what wireless card/modem etc. you have on the computer.

This is my computer description (if you don't mind follow the link please )

http://pt.computers.toshiba-europe.c...ibaShop/false/

Also, if you could, post the output of the command
    Code:
    ipconfig
    from Windows or
    Code:
    ifconfig
    from Ubuntu.
    I'm at work now, later I do that!

Thank's again for your interest!!!
    Regard's
    Miguel
    PS: Part of my amwser is int the quoting zone!!

Beans

i am flummoxed.

attempting solution 1 to problem 2. version 10.04 w/ wubi, windows boots fine, other than being windows. when i choose the ubuntu option, i get the following on my screen for about 1.5 seconds:

Try (hd0,0): FAT32: No WUBILDR
    Try (hd0,1): NTFS5

then another 2 line script flashes on the screen for even less time, and i was too lazy to spend another 5 minutes trying to figure out what that said, too. after that script, i get recycled back to the option of loading windows or ubuntu.

wrote the ubuntu .iso file to a cd and finally remembered to go back into bios and change my settings so that i could boot off of it. i get to the screen where i'm asked if i want to try/install/etc, only it won't go any further.

question 1: can i re-install wubi and recover the files i have in ubuntu? almost all of my data is on externals, but i built up some files that i hadn't managed to transfer yet.

question 2: if wubi just creates a virtual partition, is there a way to get to my (ubuntu) files through windows?

question 3: so, if 2 & 3 aren't an option.... how do i get that boot cd working if that's my only option for getting my files back?

i'll assume that there's a forum topic out there that covers how to go from wubi to setting up partitions for the permanent dual-boot option. i really like ubuntu, but nights like this make me pretty grumpy.

i appreciate any help on this. please keep in mind i'm not particularly familiar with all this linux gobbledygook.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@kona4breakfast

1. If you reinstall Wubi it deletes your current install. If you copy the root.disk somewhere outside of the c:\ubuntu directory then you can reinstall, and then loop mount your copied root.disk to get data.
    2. Yes. In post #1 there is a link to a product called ext2read.
    3. burn the cd at the slowest possible speed. Also you can run an md5sum check on the .iso you downloaded before burning.

Beans

@bcbc

extracted root.disk with ext2read to get my docs backed up. $$$.

re-burned the liveboot cd; got this:

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/Output error
    Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on filesystem.squashfs

ran md5sum check on the iso: they're different.

picked up a cd-r in lieu of the dvd-rw i was using and downloading a fresh .iso (8 hours, 48 minutes remaining! bandwidth sucks in the 'stan).

i think i shall try a legit dual boot setup.

the drives are already partitioned, though i don't recall if i did that or if it came out of the box like that. should uninstalling wubi will clean up the windows boot process and will a fresh liveboot cd let me set up ubuntu on d:// (empty data drive)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kona4breakfast View Post
    @bcbc

extracted root.disk with ext2read to get my docs backed up. $$$.

re-burned the liveboot cd; got this:

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/Output error
    Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on filesystem.squashfs

ran md5sum check on the iso: they're different.

picked up a cd-r in lieu of the dvd-rw i was using and downloading a fresh .iso (8 hours, 48 minutes remaining! bandwidth sucks in the 'stan).

i think i shall try a legit dual boot setup.

the drives are already partitioned, though i don't recall if i did that or if it came out of the box like that. should uninstalling wubi will clean up the windows boot process and will a fresh liveboot cd let me set up ubuntu on d:// (empty data drive)?
    I haven't had much luck with RW discs. CD-R at the slowest speed - using tools recommended on this site: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Uninstalling Wubi will remove Ubuntu from the Windows boot - and regarding installing - it depends on which release, as Ubiquity (the installer) changed a bit for 10.10. I suggest a new thread with the output of "sudo fdisk -l" (once you get the Ubuntu live CD boot, or a picture from Windows disk manager) and then you'll get lots of help with that.

Beans

after over 24 hours of downloading the .iso..... windows crashed. starting over again... again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

download a bittorrent client. It shouldn't take more that half an hour to download the .iso.

Beans

one step ahead of you, but we're pretty remote here, so it's not much faster. the pipe at my house was bigger than our whole compound's.

Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast