Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1199

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

Is there any working solution for Wubi and UEFI/GPT ?

I know that wubildr based on GRUB4DOS is not compatible. But is there no possibility to use standard GRUB 2 with UEFI/GPT support? A menu entry for GRUB 2 like

Code:
    menuentry "Wubi" {
            insmod ntfs
            search -s -f -n /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.cfg
            configfile  /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.cfg
    }
    should start an installed Ubuntu, but it should finish a Wubi installation, too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
    Is there any working solution for Wubi and UEFI/GPT ?
    The yellow highlighted box at the top here will give you what the developers have to say about that.

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The yellow highlighted box at the top here will give you what the developers have to say about that.
    If same developers wrote here:
    ....the Wubi installer is again not releasing with 13.10...
    and then they released Wubi with 13.10: http://releases.ubuntu.com/saucy/wubi.exe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've manually got Wubi running on a Virtual machine setup with Windows 8 in EFI mode... so it is possible. But there are a number of outstanding issues that have to be resolved to make an efi-compatible Wubi installer.

One of these is that Windows boot manager (on an EFI system) doesn't appear to support any other OS, so it'd have to install the Grub boot loader separately on the EFI partition or use an alternative boot manager such as refind. And whatever solution is used would have to support secure boot.

I'll probably continue to work on this as a side project, time permitting, but nothing in the near future. If anyone wants to collaborate, please feel free to PM me.

PS my grub.cfg loads the ntfs.mod, probe.mod and loopback.mod grub modules from the EFI partition, before searching for the root.disk on the NTFS partition.

Beans

Thanx for your reply, bcbc.

Your news are very interesting. Your great job in the past gives me hope for an efi-compatible Wubi installer in the future.

Beans

I am having a problem booting Ubuntu with a dual system including windows 7. I have read the beginning of this thread and the terminal in live/cd will not accept the boot info script command. I believe I have found sda2 to be the one I want. I downloaded and ran boot-repair, before doing so I had an option of going into Ubuntu, but it wouldn't load, just returned to the options. After running boot-repair, it now loads directly to windows 7. I am at a loss, I do not want to remove and re-install Ubuntu and loose everything I have put there for two years. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans

I am having a problem booting Ubuntu with a dual system including windows 7.
    Are you sure that it is a Wubi install? If yes, you should find a file root.disk in folder \ubuntu\disks\

edit: if you have a root.disk in good shape (not with 0 bytes), it is no problem. Rename folder \ubuntu to \ubuntu_save or copy folder to an external drive. Then install Ubuntu with Wubi again. Be careful, new install deletes folder /ubuntu with all sub folders and contents. So disconnect external drive with backup and be sure that especially file root.disk is on a safe location. After install you can copy your saved file root.disk to new install.
    Last edited by hakuna_matata; December 31st, 2013 at 12:22 AM.

Beans

Yes, I have a root.disk file.

But what am I supposed to do with it?
    Last edited by dscott48; December 31st, 2013 at 12:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
    Are you sure that it is a Wubi install? If yes, you should find a file root.disk in folder \ubuntu\disks\

edit: if you have a root.disk in good shape (not with 0 bytes), it is no problem. Rename folder \ubuntu to \ubuntu_save or copy folder to an external drive. Then install Ubuntu with Wubi again. Be careful, new install deletes folder /ubuntu with all sub folders and contents. So disconnect external drive with backup and be sure that especially file root.disk is on a safe location. After install you can copy your saved file root.disk to new install.
    My root.disk has 17 gb, do I rename and move the entire Ubuntu to hard drive, or just root.disk?

And can I install Ubuntu along side windows with the live cd?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dscott48 View Post
    My root.disk has 17 gb, do I rename and move the entire Ubuntu to hard drive, or just root.disk?
    If you rename only root.disk within /ubuntu, IMHO Wubi uninstall deletes root.disk even name has changed. It is not a good idea. If you rename /ubuntu, it is an easy way that Wubi uninstall doesn't delete your data.

For backup of your data you need only all your .disks in \ubuntu\disks without swap.disk. In your case this should be only root.disk.

Quote Originally Posted by dscott48 View Post
    And can I install Ubuntu along side windows with the live cd?
    Yes, you can.

Use parameter --root-disk with location of your root.disk to copy Wubi install to real partitions.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi

edit: It is also possible to mount your root.disk with a live cd:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    sudo mkdir /wubi
    sudo mount -o loop /mnt/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /wubi
    line #1: change sda2 to your partition with root.disk
    line #3: change /ubuntu/disks/ to your path of root.disk
    data of your root.disk is within /wubi
    Last edited by hakuna_matata; December 31st, 2013 at 11:05 AM.

Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120 LastLast