Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1200

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by superduper2 View Post
    P.S: How many posts do I need before I can insert screenshots?
    The last I knew, it was 25 posts limit for many things. But is best not to try 'bean-mining' (posting without any real reason just to collect 'beans' - that is, posts).

As for adding reps, there is no such thing at the moment on the forums. There used to be a "Thanks" button long ago (before I registered), but was removed due to misuse..

To get authentic answers though, or get other kind of forum related help, or give suggestions, you may post your question/suggestions under Forum Feedback & Help section.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

superduper2,
    Yes there are many free apps that do what Windows apps do. I always look for them before trying to run a Windows app under Wine (actually I never try to run things under Wine, but e.g. I used to use picasa on linux and that used Wine before Google discontinued support for the linux version). But audacity, recordmydesktop, etc. work great. I've been doing some of the free courses at Coursera.org and edx.org and, without exception, I have been able to complete these all on Linux with free software equivalents.
    At the same time, I use Windows for work, so I don't get fixated about switching completely to Linux. If I didn't need it, I'd just use Linux.

While you might be able to find a fully-compatible linux computer, I think most hardware will give you a reasonable fit. I don't think it's practical for most people to buy a linux specific computer and it's probably not going to make that much of a difference between running on a 'partially' compatible computer. Things are changing fast with the coming Mir display server and it remains to be seen which graphics card manufacturer will best support this, and with Steam changing focus to Linux, it might be best to hold off a bit before investing $$$.

Beans

Talking Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    The last I knew, it was 25 posts limit for many things. But is best not to try 'bean-mining' (posting without any real reason just to collect 'beans' - that is, posts).
    Appreciate the info - point taken.

I can appreciate the rules of the forum and hope that I am not being seen as trying to "bean-mine" as you put it. I am here for the same reason that most are here and that is to find assistance, give assistance when at all possible and be a contributing member - hence why I respond with an appreciation of the information I have been given, the results of what I have tried and links that anyone else may find useful if they come across the same issues.

Sometimes it is so much easier to post a screenshot of what you are trying to explain and get assistance with. I look forward to the time when I can do so as there are many times that would suffice.

On this note, you may find it amusing that I figured out how to use Screenshot (now attached to Launcher) but not without a hell of a fright - had the volume up loud after watching a movie via VLC and the camera click sound made me think my 60" Samsung Smart TV which I am using as a dual monitor had just exploded - consider this a warning folks!

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    As for adding reps, there is no such thing at the moment on the forums. There used to be a "Thanks" button long ago (before I registered), but was removed due to misuse..
    I understand that some members probably don't like to be PM'd but I assume that there is no issue in doing so considering that the option is available. That is why I previously sent a PM to bcbc for the time spent on replying to my posts.

Misuse always occurs at any forum where there are stars and badges to be gained so I'm kind of glad that is not what this forum represents but instaed focuses on the ability to collectively problem solve.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Yes there are many free apps that do what Windows apps do.

.........without exception, I have been able to complete these all on Linux with free software equivalents
    I am finding this out and in a lot of cases there even tends to be more options available - what I am trying to get used to though is what sometimes seem to be complicated install/ un-install procedures under the many Linux flavours. That is why I have followed most reccomendations I came across to use Ubuntu as the best starting point. With the combined use of Terminal (which I am trying to focus on for learning the old school techniques), Ubuntu Software Center and the Synaptic Package Manager I am getting there.

At the same time, I use Windows for work, so I don't get fixated about switching completely to Linux. If I didn't need it, I'd just use Linux.
    I am still heavily addicted to Windows 7 for home use - I am trying to expand my horizons on the work front with Linux - the more you know the better I feel, at least until everyone who lives in your street finds out that your half handy with a computer and expect home service every five minutes.

While you might be able to find a fully-compatible linux computer, I think most hardware will give you a reasonable fit.
    I thought with the advancements I've witnessed so far that this would be the case but I thought it better to be safe than sorry through a bit or research.

and with Steam changing focus to Linux, it might be best to hold off a bit before investing $$$.
    I don't think it's going to matter what I put Linux on then. I'm not real big on the gaming scene anyways. Nothing at all against the gamers but I prefer to spend my time in what I would refer to as productively, this being a mid lifer and all.

('Thinks Ending most long winded post ever now') - Apologies about that - Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by superduper2; October 26th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by superduper2 View Post
    I can appreciate the rules of the forum and hope that I am not being seen as trying to "bean-mine" as you put it.
    Ah, don't think too much about it. Your posting history so far proves you genuine enough to not ring any alarms. Admins and mods here care more about making the forums more useful, enjoyable and welcoming to all. And the rules we all follow are designed to serve the same purpose.

The reason for enforcing a few restrictions like this is to help keeping trolls and spammers away. By the time a user 'genuinely' reaches 25 posts, they have proven themselves genuine enough to lift these restrictions. You don't want to leave a popular 'family-friendly' forum wide open for spammers, do you?

..had the volume up loud after watching a movie via VLC and the camera click sound made me think my 60" Samsung Smart TV which I am using as a dual monitor had just exploded - consider this a warning folks!

I understand that some members probably don't like to be PM'd but I assume that there is no issue in doing so considering that the option is available.
    That is indeed just a matter of personal preferences, no hard and fast rules about asking for help in PMs. Some of us even encourage users to let us know via PMs if they think we can help them. However, we strongly recommend everyone to ask for help in 'Threads', and only use PMs as means to get our attention to their threads or posts. Perhaps this is the same thing that you did with your pm to bcbc.

Now all that aside, did you know you can start helping right away (..A.....nd earning 'beans'! ) by even using the "Report post" button? It can be used to report 'Any' post or thread that needs attention of mods/admins; like if it is in a wrong section and needs to be moved to correct one, is all messed up and seriously requires code tags, title is misleading and needs to be changed, is a spam.... etc. In short, if there is anything so wrong with it that needs mod action and that action is going to help making things better.

Hope that helps seeing the forums as an enjoyable place that it really is and not a scary one.
    Last edited by varunendra; October 26th, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

bcbc, thanks a lot for the reply; I have been working on another problem the last week, but this is something I want ironed out. That advice will save me the majority of "problems" I imagine, then. Wubi is a convenience I am not used to. It fits inside Windows at install and defragging Windows hasn't been a problem, nor has removing old files of Malwarebytes, which is, again I imagine, what had me worried about not using Grub. The Ubuntu 12.04 system Wubi installed runs a cool "35" FPS playing online games. Most of the answers are online, some just are hard to find without counseling. I was wondering if using "C" as LOCALE_ALL would suffice ot if I would have problems with compatability? I'll have a look at those two links.
    Again,
    Thanks

Beans

I have to ask what "The "prefix not set" isn't a problem.", if perl issues a warning.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

acodea,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/927157

Looks like it's been fixed for later releases, but not 12.04. You can ignore it: it is always outputted on all wubi installs from 11.04 to 12.04 and is not indicative of any problem (other than the fact that the message is being outputted).

Beans

acodea,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/927157

Looks like it's been fixed for later releases, but not 12.04. You can ignore it: it is always outputted on all wubi installs from 11.04 to 12.04 and is not indicative of any problem (other than the fact that the message is being outputted).

I have worked at this lately, a lot of time invested with no completion. Should I upgrade to Raring and could I retain wubi if I did?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by acodea View Post
    I have worked at this lately, a lot of time invested with no completion. Should I upgrade to Raring and could I retain wubi if I did?
    The message is benign, harmless, an irritant perhaps. Upgrading to get rid of it is unnecessary. You can upgrade a Wubi install if you like, but note that many Wubi installs are tight on space and the upgrade tool miscalculates how much disk space is needed. Don't upgrade with less than 3 GB free. Even then not every upgrade is successful so taking a backup of the root.disk beforehand makes sense.

You can also get rid of the prefix message as well as the "Try (hd0,0)..." messages by switching to a normal dual boot, either installing fresh or migrating. This is what was originally intended for Wubi - try out Ubuntu and convert to a normal dual boot when able to. This is what I'd recommend.

Beans

The message is benign, harmless, an irritant perhaps. Upgrading to get rid of it is unnecessary. You can upgrade a Wubi install if you like, but note that many Wubi installs are tight on space and the upgrade tool miscalculates how much disk space is needed. Don't upgrade with less than 3 GB free.
    This is the kind of message I need. That stats of my computer then, probably prevent me from installing 13.04 and that it is possible if I upgrade my memory. I could downgrade, but I like the direction ubuntu is moving in, so I will wait a while before changing things.

Thanks very much,
    DL

Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 LastLast