Page 116 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1200

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

Good point. Thank you I'll move it along now.

Beans

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if this could be used for my problem which can be found here. Thanks in advance for any answers if someone even reads this.
    TheRandomRedhead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by TheRandomRedhead View Post
    Hi guys, I'm just wondering if this could be used for my problem which can be found here. Thanks in advance for any answers if someone even reads this.
    TheRandomRedhead
    You may consider bcbc the "God of WUBI", who has already picked up your original thread. Just post what he has asked for there and be assured that you are in very good hands.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Question Re: Wubi megathread

Hello, My wubi installation sudenly stoped working giving me a grub screen. After searching for a while I found lots of different commands and guides i tried, but none worked. After reading something bcbc posted i tried to open the root.disk using a ext explorer (I found one on on pc, so i know this has worked to open that disk before). Sadly the program couldn't read it, and after that i noticed that the file was 0 bytes, so i went to properties to look, almost same thing: 0 bytes size, 4kilobytes diskspace used. And after doing a search on my drive I only found that one file (D:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk) and one file located in Last used files (Not sure what it is called in english, but something like that.) So is there a way to recover my root.disk? or do i have to install it again?

Forgot to mention the file in Last files was 746 bytes (not sure if this is important, but.. It won't hurt)
    Last edited by rosaage; July 15th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rosaage View Post
    Hello, My wubi installation sudenly stoped working giving me a grub screen. After searching for a while I found lots of different commands and guides i tried, but none worked. After reading something bcbc posted i tried to open the root.disk using a ext explorer (I found one on on pc, so i know this has worked to open that disk before). Sadly the program couldn't read it, and after that i noticed that the file was 0 bytes, so i went to properties to look, almost same thing: 0 bytes size, 4kilobytes diskspace used. And after doing a search on my drive I only found that one file (D:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk) and one file located in Last used files (Not sure what it is called in english, but something like that.) So is there a way to recover my root.disk? or do i have to install it again?

Forgot to mention the file in Last files was 746 bytes (not sure if this is important, but.. It won't hurt)
    The first thing you should do when attempting to recover a corrupted root.disk is to run: chkdsk /f

That's the only mechanism for fixing a corrupted file on NTFS that I am aware of. Unfortunately it doesn't always work and I've heard of many cases where, if the file size of the root.disk shows 0 bytes, it's not recoverable.

If you haven't run chkdsk, then try that (see here). If you have, then I don't have any advice to recover the root.disk, but I normally suggest running photorec if there is something really important you've lost (photorec isn't an easy way to recover files, so I'd only advise it if it's really important to you).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    The first thing you should do when attempting to recover a corrupted root.disk is to run: chkdsk /f

That's the only mechanism for fixing a corrupted file on NTFS that I am aware of. Unfortunately it doesn't always work and I've heard of many cases where, if the file size of the root.disk shows 0 bytes, it's not recoverable.

If you haven't run chkdsk, then try that (see here). If you have, then I don't have any advice to recover the root.disk, but I normally suggest running photorec if there is something really important you've lost (photorec isn't an easy way to recover files, so I'd only advise it if it's really important to you).
    Thanks, running Photorec now. I hope i can recover it.

Beans

Hi guys! I got redirected here from another part of the forums.

After I updated a lot of stuff and installed codecs and what not I was unable to boot.

I have this problem when trying to boot in to unbuntu. GNU GRUB version 1.97 beta 4
    [Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device/flies completions]
    sh:grub>

When I wrote: boot, it says:
    error: no loaded kernel

I have this link http://paste.ubuntu.com/6050277/. <------------This is my boot info.

I may try to to wipe that partition and reinstall with dual-boot. I would however like to save this setup for some time.

I don't know who could help but if someone could give it a look over I would greatly appreciate it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Justin17, please refer to this for instructions on how to recover the root.disk: http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...-rootdisk.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

great work, it is really helpfull to have a thread with the known errors and fixes for wubi
    although i think installing ubuntu on it self instead of installing it via wubi gives less errors and is easier to delete (thats what i think :/)

Beans

Hi, I am very glad to see this thread as I have had several installs of Linux and am always having issues of my own. AND, Ubuntu is a good O/s. I prefer this format to Windows but have always come back to Windows from greater experience with Windows.

I have the boot_info_script's output. It is so much information I will wait for you to ask me to recite it.

I am thankful for you looking at it. My computer had this morning a boot error "prefix not set" just prior to the login screen booting. Can I get feedback on this problem? I have lost several installs to boot problems and usually it's is the Windows install I am chided for and it isn't Windows fault.

I have an installation of Windows 8 and Ubuntu Dual boot. Ubuntu is inside Windows, the Ubuntu folder that is. And the wubi installed it there because the live cd wouldn't boot some reason.
    Last edited by acodea; October 17th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Page 116 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast