Page 115 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

probe command unknown-ubuntu 11.04

I am using ubuntu 11.04 in wubi.. I moved the root.disk file to a new system in a wubi installation.. N tried to run these commands in the grub prompt on startup to mount the root.disk file..

search -s -f -n /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    probe --set=diskuuid -u $root
    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    set root=(loop0)
    linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=$diskuuid loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot

I get an error as probe: unknown command..

I am using ubuntu 11.04 n same supported version of wubi..

Can any1 help me out with it ??
    Last edited by aziz142010; March 18th, 2013 at 07:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Wubi megathread

Please don't double-post.
    Have merged your threads.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For 11.04, grub may not support the probe command. The disk image installs were introduced in 11.10.

So instead you can run:
    Code:
    search -s -f -n /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    echo $root
    Depending on the response, you will be using the following mapping:
    Code:
    RESPONSE                                        MAPPING
    hd0,1 OR hd0,msdos1 OR '/dev/sda',msdos1     == /dev/sda1
    hd0,2 OR hd0,msdos2 OR '/dev/sda',msdos2     == /dev/sda2
    etc.
    hd1,1 OR hd1,msdos1 OR '/dev/sdb',msdos1     == /dev/sdb1
    etc.
    Then continue (NOTE the bit that has root=/dev/sda1; CHANGE that to the actual root you determined above):
    Code:
    loopback (loop0) /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    set root=(loop0)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash 
    initrd /initrd.img 
    boot

Beans

M done.. its booting properly.. Thanks a lot..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aziz142010 View Post
    M done.. its booting properly.. Thanks a lot..
    Great! You're welcome.

Beans

Thank you for the reply. I think I am not UEFI. I do have some confusion though. I understand I can remove Wubi as a windows program. Do you recommend a 64 bit, bootable-USB, partitioned install instead? If so- do I follow the non-wubi nomode start documentation?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    baltimorebytes,

Wubi is completely removable via the control panel, Add/Remove programs. Just double click on Ubuntu. This is a feature of Wubi over a normal install.

If your computer booted UEFI then you would see an error about wubildr.mbr being corrupt or missing, not a purple screen. If you see a purple screen then it's more likely your graphics card (nvidia or radeon?) requires a closed-source driver and you need to boot with nomodeset: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

If your disk is formatted with a MBR partition table then it's not booting via UEFI (or it's using the CSM mode). If it has a GPT disk then it is using UEFI and you're correct that you require the 64bit version of Ubuntu installed normally. A normal install is recommended anyway (although Wubi is usually easy to try out Ubuntu).
    Thank you for the reply. I think I am not UEFI. I do have some confusion though. I understand I can remove Wubi as a windows program. Do you recommend a 64 bit, bootable-USB, partitioned install instead? If so- do I follow the non-wubi nomode start documentation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebytes View Post
    A partitioned install is always better than Wubi as long as you are comfortable partitioing etc. Wubi's purpose is to try out Ubuntu with no risk to Windows or risk of messing up Windows.

I'd recommend a 64bit install. Most computers are 64bit and it's multi-arch as well so you can run 32bit programs if needed.

Use the nomodeset instructions for whatever method you are booting. If you use it to install from the USB, you'll likely need to override again on the first boot as well; until you can install a closed source driver for your graphics card (assuming that applies to you since I don't think you mentioned the type of card you have yet).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    A partitioned install is always better than Wubi as long as you are comfortable partitioing etc. Wubi's purpose is to try out Ubuntu with no risk to Windows or risk of messing up Windows.

I'd recommend a 64bit install. Most computers are 64bit and it's multi-arch as well so you can run 32bit programs if needed.

Use the nomodeset instructions for whatever method you are booting. If you use it to install from the USB, you'll likely need to override again on the first boot as well; until you can install a closed source driver for your graphics card (assuming that applies to you since I don't think you mentioned the type of card you have yet).
    Thanks for the info so far...I will get this, I promise.
    So I can install from USB and on first run, BEFORE restart I should choose the option for nomode. If that allows everything to run, then...

I have a ASUS HD 6670 pcie card. I have a 64 bit processor. I think I can find the correct driver at AMD for that card series- I think I need the file for linux x86 64 is that right? Should I:
    1. save the file on my HD and then find it later when running ubuntu the first time?
    2. ignore the file and try to get this driver package from some ubuntu or canonical source like software center?
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebytes View Post
    Thanks for the info so far...I will get this, I promise.
    So I can install from USB and on first run, BEFORE restart I should choose the option for nomode. If that allows everything to run, then...

I have a ASUS HD 6670 pcie card. I have a 64 bit processor. I think I can find the correct driver at AMD for that card series- I think I need the file for linux x86 64 is that right? Should I:
    1. save the file on my HD and then find it later when running ubuntu the first time?
    2. ignore the file and try to get this driver package from some ubuntu or canonical source like software center?
    Thanks!
    First, since you aren't doing a Wubi install, you should create a new thread specific to your needs (mention your full specs and what you are doing and what you need help with). The only people who look at this Wubi Megathread are likely Wubi users. So you're missing out on the majority of the community support available to you.

Second, for most nvidia/radeon graphics cards - unless it's extremely new and/or unsupported or you have some sort of special requirement - you should use the closed source driver from the repository. So after installing (with nomodeset) and then booting (with nomodeset) you should run "additional-drivers" - and note that there is a different method for running this on 12.04 versus 12.10 (see here for details: http://askubuntu.com/questions/47506...-extra-drivers) and then select the recommended driver for your card.

PS also see here http://askubuntu.com/questions/16283...n-hd-6670-help
    Last edited by bcbc; March 21st, 2013 at 04:11 AM.

Page 115 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast