Page 114 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

Thanks a lot.. As expected i got the quickest reply.. Ubuntu forum rocks..

Beans

I made a mistake. I have just built a new machine today. I loaded windows pro 7 64bit. I have it running just fine so I went to do the 12.04 Ubuntu with the wubi windows installer. It installed with no obvious issues except now, when I select Ubuntu from the bootup choices, the purple screen comes up and freezes. It has never gotten past this point. It has 20GB so it isn't a space problem.

I have looked around the webz and I think my problem is... that I neglected to notice that my Bios is actually UEFI.

Damn.

I went back to the Ubuntu downloads webpage and then I saw it...the message that mentions to install in a new partition if using UEFI or windows 8.

Well, to be tidy, I think I want to uninstall the 12.04 that I tried to install, so I can then make the new partition and install 12.04 like a big boy. Right?

Question: how do I get rid of the old 12.04 I have so I can replace it the correct way? Also...do I need to? I dont want to confuse the boot choice screen with 12.04 in 2 different places.

Any advice?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

baltimorebytes,

Wubi is completely removable via the control panel, Add/Remove programs. Just double click on Ubuntu. This is a feature of Wubi over a normal install.

If your computer booted UEFI then you would see an error about wubildr.mbr being corrupt or missing, not a purple screen. If you see a purple screen then it's more likely your graphics card (nvidia or radeon?) requires a closed-source driver and you need to boot with nomodeset: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

If your disk is formatted with a MBR partition table then it's not booting via UEFI (or it's using the CSM mode). If it has a GPT disk then it is using UEFI and you're correct that you require the 64bit version of Ubuntu installed normally. A normal install is recommended anyway (although Wubi is usually easy to try out Ubuntu).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Do you want to be running Wubi on the new laptop, or do you want to have a normal dual boot. It's possible to do either.

1. Move a Wubi install to a new machine running Wubi
    a. Install the same release of Wubi on the new machine, choosing the smallest possible disk size.
    b. Then copy over the root.disk from the old machine over the new machine, replacing the root.disk.
    c. Boot manually the first time, and then update grub:
    To boot manually, hold down the SHIFT key after selecting Ubuntu. Then when the grub menu appears, hit "C" to get to a grub prompt. Then enter the following
    Code:
    search -s -f -n /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    probe --set=diskuuid -u $root
    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    set root=(loop0)
    linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=$diskuuid loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot
    To regenerate the grub.cfg file after booting manually, run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    That's it.

2. Move a Wubi install to a new machine running a normal dual boot
    a. copy the root.disk from the old machine to a USB drive (and any other .disk files but don't worry about swap.disk)
    b. boot from a live CD/USB
    c. create two partitions (at least two), one for root (as ext4) and one for swap. Normally you'd create an extended partition and then the two would be logical partitions, but do this any way you like.
    c. plug in the other USB with the root.disk
    d. download the wubi migration script and migrate to the new partitions using the "--root-disk=" option.

e.g. if your new partitions are /dev/sda5 (ext4) and /dev/sda6 (swap), and the root.disk is on /media/USBBACKUP/root.disk
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6 --root-disk=/media/USBBACKUP/root.disk
    Note that this will install the grub2 bootloader (good), unless you specify "--no-bootloader" (if you plan to boot via easyBCD or some other method).

Refer to this link for pictures of the migration process (note the wubi-move.sh script is no longer named wubi-move-2.2.sh as it is shown in the pictures): http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...ease-1204.html

And see here for the actual migration script download and other instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi

Problem is i am using ubuntu 11.04 in my old machine.. N when i try to install 11.04 using wubi in my new machine it doesn support.. it gives some error saying file already exists.. m stuck up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's probably complaining about the \ubuntu folder being there already. If you created it to store some ubuntu files, then you just need to rename the folder and then try again. Or post a link to the pastebin of your log file (which can be found in the %TEMP% directory as wubi-11.04-revxxx.log).

And you might run into difficulties installing 11.04 because it has already reached End Of Life (no more support) and the release website has changed to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/11.04/ so make sure you have the ISO already in the same folder as Wubi.exe, or are installing from an 11.04 CD - otherwise it will fail.

PS the only upgrade path from 11.04 to 12.04 is first to 11.10, and then to 12.04. Note that 11.10 is reaching EOL in April.

Beans

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5615667/

This is the link to Log file in pastebin ..

N i have downloaded the .iso file from releases page.. I have placed it in the same folder as wubi.. Even then this same error..

I dont have any folder named \ubuntu ....I searched for whole system.. i just have ubuntu installed on a separate partition besides windows 7.. Is tht the prob ???

I just wanto transfer the wubi installation from old laptop to new one bcz i have done my project in it.. After m done with my project i wil format n install a new ubuntu latest version...

I can install a new ubuntu installtion or just transfer the wubi.. anything is fine with me.. M stuck up with this wubi ubuntu 11.04 transfer..
    Last edited by aziz142010; March 15th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's a weird one... it looks and doesn't find the md5sum, then it continues and copies the ISO as expected. But then it just stops.

I'd do two things.
    1) Disconnect from the internet before running (if you haven't already)
    2) Rename that folder and remove the & from the folder name E:\ubuntu&wubi\. I'm not saying it's required, but just to rule out some weird as yet undiscovered bug.

Other than that, everything looks normal.

If that doesn't work there are some other things you can do:
    a) migrate from the root.disk to a normal partition. I'd recommend using version 2.1 of the migration script for release 11.04. Get it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

b) Or you could install a normal Ubuntu/Wubi and set up a custom boot-entry to boot directly from the 1104 root.disk.

I'll help you select one of these if you still can't get 11.04 installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Piersadept View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu on my computer with Wubi, everything went great. Except; the password and username I set with Wubi do not work. I can't log in with it when i boot up Ubuntu. I can log into a Guest account. But I have no clue what my Root password is. It's not the one i set with Wubi. Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it?
    I've run into this same issue and would like to put down a solution. I searched way too much about this and many people say to try and get into the GRUB menu, but this was not a fix for me since I couldn't get to GRUB from booting no matter how many times I pressed Shift.

The solution was that I had an old Wubi.exe, so you need to download the most up to date one! I had the an older version and it did the exact same thing where it would only let me log in as guest and it, in fact, installed Ubuntu 13. I just downloaded the latest Wubi and reinstalled and it works like a charm. (I also got a mount error on boot up)

I just wanted to say that finding this solution was a lot more difficult than it had to be, so I thought I would post here in the hopes of helping other people with this exact problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TalakRahl View Post
    I've run into this same issue and would like to put down a solution. I searched way too much about this and many people say to try and get into the GRUB menu, but this was not a fix for me since I couldn't get to GRUB from booting no matter how many times I pressed Shift.

The solution was that I had an old Wubi.exe, so you need to download the most up to date one! I had the an older version and it did the exact same thing where it would only let me log in as guest and it, in fact, installed Ubuntu 13. I just downloaded the latest Wubi and reinstalled and it works like a charm. (I also got a mount error on boot up)

I just wanted to say that finding this solution was a lot more difficult than it had to be, so I thought I would post here in the hopes of helping other people with this exact problem
    This is a bug in the development release. Which gets installed if you have an out of date 12.04 Wubi.exe. Here are the bug reports:

Wubi 12.04 installs development release

13.04 installer doesn't create user account

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    That's a weird one... it looks and doesn't find the md5sum, then it continues and copies the ISO as expected. But then it just stops.

I'd do two things.
    1) Disconnect from the internet before running (if you haven't already)
    2) Rename that folder and remove the & from the folder name E:\ubuntu&wubi\. I'm not saying it's required, but just to rule out some weird as yet undiscovered bug.

Other than that, everything looks normal.

If that doesn't work there are some other things you can do:
    a) migrate from the root.disk to a normal partition. I'd recommend using version 2.1 of the migration script for release 11.04. Get it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

b) Or you could install a normal Ubuntu/Wubi and set up a custom boot-entry to boot directly from the 1104 root.disk.

I'll help you select one of these if you still can't get 11.04 installed.

I could get to the grub command line.. I disconnected the internet and it worked.. But now i get an error tht probe is an unknown command..!!!

Wat do i do now ??

Page 114 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast