Page 113 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

I've always wondered if could you run Wubi.exe through Wine on an existing Ubuntu installation and, if you did, what would happen?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    I've always wondered if could you run Wubi.exe through Wine on an existing Ubuntu installation and, if you did, what would happen?
    Apparently you can, but I'd guess it is just to test the Windows GUI frontend, since Wubi boots via the Windows boot manager:

* make runpy: runs wubi under wine directly from source
    If you read the interview with the creator of Wubi, he used Lubi for most of his initial testing, but I don't think Lubi has been updated for a long time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Apparently you can, but I'd guess it is just to test the Windows GUI frontend, since Wubi boots via the Windows boot manager:

If you read the interview with the creator of Wubi, he used Lubi for most of his initial testing, but I don't think Lubi has been updated for a long time.
    Ah ok, so no Windows boot manager, no full Wubi experience. Thanks for the concise info.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Ah ok, so no Windows boot manager, no full Wubi experience. Thanks for the concise info.
    You can boot a root.disk without Windows. Just manually create grub2 instructions in /etc/grub.d/40_custom. So it's possible to do this, but not automatically. Wubi will setup boot entries in the Windows boot manager automatically.

Either way will be the 'full Wubi experience' because it's just booting Ubuntu with a virtual disk. But what I am saying is that installing with Wine won't be bootable because it's trying to boot via Windows and you don't have Windows, you have Wine - and since Wine is running inside linux you can't boot the Wubi install from within another running OS (that's a virtual machine and that is not what Wubi is).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    You can boot a root.disk without Windows. Just manually create grub2 instructions in /etc/grub.d/40_custom. So it's possible to do this, but not automatically. Wubi will setup boot entries in the Windows boot manager automatically.

Either way will be the 'full Wubi experience' because it's just booting Ubuntu with a virtual disk. But what I am saying is that installing with Wine won't be bootable because it's trying to boot via Windows and you don't have Windows, you have Wine - and since Wine is running inside linux you can't boot the Wubi install from within another running OS (that's a virtual machine and that is not what Wubi is).
    I did understand that although maybe that wasn't clear from my reply.

It wasn't a totally silly question either. And it taught me something about Wubi's history and how it works.

Anyway, as I run Ubuntu already, it wouldn't make any sense to load another version in that way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Cool.

It's an area I haven't bothered to experiment with (Wine) so maybe I was thinking out loud

Beans

Hello.
    I'm getting very irritated, I gave up on trying to fix this problem, so I'm coming here for help.

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit on my computer after both versions 12.04 64 bit and 12.10 64 bit. Unfortunately, I have a USB keyboard, and my computer doesn't seem to supply power to USB ports pre-startup. For this reason, I decided to use a rather tedious method of launching Ubuntu: changing the system options in Windows/Ubuntu to set the default OS in dual-boot mode. But when try to start up my computer in Ubuntu, I get this error message:
    Try (hd0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr
    Try (hd0,1): NTFS5: error: "Prefix" is not set.
    After about half a minute, it goes away and this pops up:
    Completing the Ubuntu installation.
    For more boot options, press Esc (or something along those lines, the message only lasts for 5 seconds)
    After this, it reboots and the cycle repeats.
    And I can't edit the BIOS or start up in windows because my computer doesn't supply power to USB ports when it's starting up.
    I thought I had an old Ps/2 keyboard lying around, but as it turns out, I don't.

Is there any possible fix for my problem?

Edit: Also, I'm using dual-boot with Windows 7 64-bit, if that helps.
    Last edited by ursnampls; February 13th, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You will need a Windows 64 bit repair CD. Boot from that to a repair prompt and then follow instructions from here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Something like (but change the GUID to the entry representing Windows 7):
    Code:
    bcdedit /default {cbd971bf-b7b8-4885-951a-fa03044f5d71}
    If you don't already have a windows 64 bit repair CD you can burn one for free from any Windows 7 64 bit (e.g. from friend or family or your local Computer store if they're nice) or download an ISO from the Internet which will cost you USD10.

Beans

I have installed ubuntu on my laptop besides windows 7.. N in my old laptop i have installed ubuntu using wubi.. i have done my project in my old laptop n i want to migrate ubuntu from my old laptop (installed using wubi) to my new laptop... can any1 help me out ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aziz142010 View Post
    I have installed ubuntu on my laptop besides windows 7.. N in my old laptop i have installed ubuntu using wubi.. i have done my project in my old laptop n i want to migrate ubuntu from my old laptop (installed using wubi) to my new laptop... can any1 help me out ??
    Do you want to be running Wubi on the new laptop, or do you want to have a normal dual boot. It's possible to do either.

1. Move a Wubi install to a new machine running Wubi
    a. Install the same release of Wubi on the new machine, choosing the smallest possible disk size.
    b. Then copy over the root.disk from the old machine over the new machine, replacing the root.disk.
    c. Boot manually the first time, and then update grub:
    To boot manually, hold down the SHIFT key after selecting Ubuntu. Then when the grub menu appears, hit "C" to get to a grub prompt. Then enter the following
    Code:
    search -s -f -n /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    probe --set=diskuuid -u $root
    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    set root=(loop0)
    linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=$diskuuid loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot
    To regenerate the grub.cfg file after booting manually, run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    That's it.

2. Move a Wubi install to a new machine running a normal dual boot
    a. copy the root.disk from the old machine to a USB drive (and any other .disk files but don't worry about swap.disk)
    b. boot from a live CD/USB
    c. create two partitions (at least two), one for root (as ext4) and one for swap. Normally you'd create an extended partition and then the two would be logical partitions, but do this any way you like.
    c. plug in the other USB with the root.disk
    d. download the wubi migration script and migrate to the new partitions using the "--root-disk=" option.

e.g. if your new partitions are /dev/sda5 (ext4) and /dev/sda6 (swap), and the root.disk is on /media/USBBACKUP/root.disk
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6 --root-disk=/media/USBBACKUP/root.disk
    Note that this will install the grub2 bootloader (good), unless you specify "--no-bootloader" (if you plan to boot via easyBCD or some other method).

Refer to this link for pictures of the migration process (note the wubi-move.sh script is no longer named wubi-move-2.2.sh as it is shown in the pictures): http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...ease-1204.html

And see here for the actual migration script download and other instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi
    Last edited by bcbc; February 25th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.

Page 113 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast