Page 111 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Wubi megathread

I think I corrupted something in my root.disk by shutting down Ubuntu a bunch of times consecutively by holding the power button on my tower instead of the right way. Now I get the 'no init found. try passing init= arg' error and the crappy command prompt when I boot normally and in recovery.

I have been using this Wubi install for over a year and have everything the way I like it, a ton of music, pics, files, software, etc. stored in my root.disk.

Is there some windows freeware that I can use to get into my root.disk and try to see what went wrong that isn't allowing me to boot normally, or at the very least copy /home over to Windows?

What would be the first things to check to see why Ubuntu's not booting up properly?

TIA

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by huggs View Post
    I think I corrupted something in my root.disk by shutting down Ubuntu a bunch of times consecutively by holding the power button on my tower instead of the right way. Now I get the 'no init found. try passing init= arg' error and the crappy command prompt when I boot normally and in recovery.

I have been using this Wubi install for over a year and have everything the way I like it, a ton of music, pics, files, software, etc. stored in my root.disk.

Is there some windows freeware that I can use to get into my root.disk and try to see what went wrong that isn't allowing me to boot normally, or at the very least copy /home over to Windows?

What would be the first things to check to see why Ubuntu's not booting up properly?

TIA
    You can try http://ext2read.blogspot.ca/ to get read only access from Windows. Try to copy your data from /home before attempting to repair.

It sounds like there is at the least some ext4 corruption. You'll need to boot from a CD/USB to fsck the root.disk.

You probably should run chkdsk /r from windows as well.

If you get things fixed up, try to avoid hard resets - and consider a backup plan if you want to keep using Wubi. I keep a fully synchronized copy of my root.disk using the wubi resize script (--resume option). This may not be a good option if you store a lot of data on the root.disk, in which case, make sure you have an alternate backup plan in place.

Beans

Hello I am currently trying to migrate from wubi to a full install and have been following the examples on pages:

http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.co....=1350657234968

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi

But keep getting the same problem:
    andrew@ubuntu:~$ /home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3
    bash: /home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3: No such file or directory
    andrew@ubuntu:~$ ~/home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3 sudo bash wubi-move-2.3.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6
    bash: /home/andrew/home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3: No such file or directory
    andrew@ubuntu:~$

I must be doing something wrong but at the moment I have yet to arrive at the solution. I downloaded the wubi-move-2.3. and extracted it 'here' in the downloads folder. Am I just inputing the file directory wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by modusoperandi303 View Post
    Hello I am currently trying to migrate from wubi to a full install and have been following the examples on pages:

http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.co....=1350657234968

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi

But keep getting the same problem:
    andrew@ubuntu:~$ /home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3
    bash: /home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3: No such file or directory
    andrew@ubuntu:~$ ~/home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3 sudo bash wubi-move-2.3.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6
    bash: /home/andrew/home/andrew/downloads/wubi-move-2.3: No such file or directory
    andrew@ubuntu:~$

I must be doing something wrong but at the moment I have yet to arrive at the solution. I downloaded the wubi-move-2.3. and extracted it 'here' in the downloads folder. Am I just inputing the file directory wrong?
    I replied to your comment on the blog site. But I'll repeat it here. Directories are case-sensitive so it should be:
    Directories are case sensitive on Linux, so it's (using the short form):
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/wubi-move-2.3
    sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6
    Note that for the main wubi-move.sh script the version has been dropped from the name. If you still have problems finding the script, use Nautilus (the file explorer) to confirm where you extracted the script.

If you have more issues, please post the result of (that's a lower case -L):
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    df -h
    or just post the bootinfoscript results.
    Thanks

Beans

Hello thanks for the response, I am currently getting:

andrew@ubuntu:~/Downloads/wubi-move-2.3$ sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6
    [sudo] password for andrew:
    wubi-move.sh: Validating migration source...
    wubi-move.sh: Source for migration validated successfully:
    wubi-move.sh: Wubi host partition: /dev/sda2
    wubi-move.sh: Size of install: 17452681 K
    wubi-move.sh: Size of /boot: 131316 K
    wubi-move.sh: Size of /usr: 3546241 K
    wubi-move.sh: Size of /home: 12225769 K
    wubi-move.sh: Validating migration target(s)...
    wubi-move.sh: /dev/sda5 is mounted - please unmount and try again
    wubi-move.sh: partition /dev/sda5 must be type 83 - Linux.
    wubi-move.sh: swapdevice (/dev/sda6) is not a valid partition.
    wubi-move.sh: Validation of target(s) failed

wubi-move.sh: Migration did not complete successfully.
    andrew@ubuntu:~/Downloads/wubi-move-2.3$ ^C
    andrew@ubuntu:~/Downloads/wubi-move-2.3$

I presume from the above that I currently have '/dev/sda2' and need to upgrade to '/dev/sda5'?

heres what comes up after
    sudo fdisk -l
    df -h

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x23cbfcf6

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 411647 204800 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 411648 885020671 442304512 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 885020672 945829887 30404608 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4 945829888 976773167 15471640 12 Compaq diagnostics
    /dev/sda5 885022720 945829887 30403584 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    andrew@ubuntu:~/Downloads/wubi-move-2.3$ df -h

again thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

Andy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

In order to migrate you need to create a '83 - Linux' type partition, e.g. with an ext2/3/4 file system. The swap partition is optional, but it has to be of type '82 - Linux Swap'.

Here is an image of what's expected. In this case, /dev/sda6 is the target partition and /dev/sda7 is the swap:

Right now your /dev/sda5 is an NTFS partition - so migration won't be allowed. You could either replace this with two new partitions or split the existing one and create two new in the free space.

PS when partitioning, please ensure you have good data backups in place.

Beans

awesome thanks for the response bcbc, the reason why I want to migrate (other than having not used windows since getting this laptop) is that I am always running out of space. The disk usage analyser says that I have used up all the spare space I have at 135.8gb but total disk capicity is: 593.8gb(used:151.0gb available:442.8gb). Will changing the type of partition solve this problem?

regards
    andy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't see 590GB - fdisk reports 500GB although it shows 500107862016 bytes which is more like 465GB. But ignoring all that and assuming we're dealing with 500GB ...

Your extended partition /dev/sda3 (and therefore /dev/sda5) is only about 30GB. Most of your space is on your main C: /dev/sda2 which is about 450GB. Also your current Wubi install is 17GB.

So if you did a straight replace of /dev/sda5 with an ext4 partition your install will be limited to 30GB. Instead you could split off some free space from /dev/sda2, expand /dev/sda3 to include that free space, and then create a new /dev/sda5 to be bigger.

Other options are to keep common data you might want to access from both Ubuntu and Windows on a separate NTFS partition. Or just keep all data on the Windows partition /dev/sda2. In that case, 30GB might be sufficient for Ubuntu.

Beans

wont work, am gettint tired of this wubi thing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by huggs View Post

TIA
    This might help if you cannot get Wubi Ubuntu going:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyfang View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. You can boot using a Ubuntu Live CD or Live USB & mount the root.disk to recover your personal files. I wrote about this in Swedish @ Linuxportalen http://www.linuxportalen.se/blogs/ly...e-att-wubimint
    Source from: Re: wubi does not run

Page 111 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast