Page 110 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1200

Thread: Wubi megathread

  1. #1091
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by Klea292 View Post
    I keep getting the "gave up waiting for root device" on a fresh install from wubi on 12.04. I used to use linux all the time and just now decided to come back to it, through my searching I just can't fix it. Any ideas please?
    Please post the results of the bootinfoscript

    Thanks

  2. #1092
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: Wubi megathread

    How would I go about doing that in BusyBox before even going through installation? My error looks like this:

    Code:
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
      - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
      - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    -Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; is dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/AO8EF45B8EF42C02 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
    
    
    Busybox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4) built in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
    (initramfs)
    Thanks!

  3. #1093
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by Klea292 View Post
    How would I go about doing that in BusyBox before even going through installation? My error looks like this:

    Code:
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
      - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
      - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    -Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; is dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/AO8EF45B8EF42C02 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
    
    
    Busybox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4) built in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
    (initramfs)
    Thanks!
    You need to boot from a live CD/USB.

    Do you have some sort of fakeraid setup on your computer?

  4. #1094
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Beans
    3

    Re: Wubi megathread

    I installed Ubuntu via wubi. Is there a way how I can access my files in ubuntu via windows and the other way around?

  5. #1095
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowstep0705 View Post
    I installed Ubuntu via wubi. Is there a way how I can access my files in ubuntu via windows and the other way around?
    From Windows point this tool at the root.disk for read-only access: http://ext2read.blogspot.com/

    From Ubuntu, you windows partition is mounted as /host

    I normally keep data (images, jpeg, video, etc) on a separate partition so I can share it among all operating systems. Also, don't keep important data on the root.disk because it's less reliable and it's also easier to share it via /host or on another partition than accessing the root.disk from Windows.

  6. #1096
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Beans
    3

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    From Windows point this tool at the root.disk for read-only access: http://ext2read.blogspot.com/

    From Ubuntu, you windows partition is mounted as /host

    I normally keep data (images, jpeg, video, etc) on a separate partition so I can share it among all operating systems. Also, don't keep important data on the root.disk because it's less reliable and it's also easier to share it via /host or on another partition than accessing the root.disk from Windows.
    That works! Thank you

  7. #1097
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    9

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Hi. After installing Ubuntu without error with Wubi, I get an error on boot as described here reading something to the effect of: "Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

    I've tried replacing C:\wubildr with C:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr as suggested in the first post in this thread, but it made no difference.

    Can anybody help me? Thanks.

  8. #1098
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    311
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Hello, afeder.

    bcbc has already pointed out what is at the bottom of your problem, has he not?
    Please, read the Launchpad bug report which he pointed you to: Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI
    The error message reported in the Launchpad bug report matches your screenshot.
    So I have my serious doubts that ignoring bcbc's answer and repeating your question in this Wubi Mega Thread will bring you any closer to a solution.
    Provided your Windows system uses UEFI boot, your Wubi installation will never work, because Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI.
    Sorry, but currently there does not seem to be any solution.
    Personally, I would subscribe to that Launchpad bug thread and wait and see if a bugfix for Wubi will be made available some day in the future.

    Kind regards,
    Karl
    Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya Mint, trusting the Tahr.

  9. #1099
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    9

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlchen View Post
    Hello, afeder.

    bcbc has already pointed out what is at the bottom of your problem, has he not?
    Please, read the Launchpad bug report which he pointed you to: Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI
    The error message reported in the Launchpad bug report matches your screenshot.
    So I have my serious doubts that ignoring bcbc's answer and repeating your question in this Wubi Mega Thread will bring you any closer to a solution.
    Provided your Windows system uses UEFI boot, your Wubi installation will never work, because Wubi does not check if Windows boots using UEFI.
    Sorry, but currently there does not seem to be any solution.
    Personally, I would subscribe to that Launchpad bug thread and wait and see if a bugfix for Wubi will be made available some day in the future.

    Kind regards,
    Karl
    As much as I appreciate your condescending tone towards newcomers, bcbc posted his reply 3 hours after the post you are responding to. I posted here because I was advised to do so by Frogs Hair here.

  10. #1100
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    311
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Wubi megathread

    Hello, afeder.

    bcbc posted his reply 3 hours after the post you re responding to
    Sorry, have not taken the pain and checked the timestamps. - OK, I see and apologize. When asking here you had not had a chance of reading bcbc's reply.

    Anyway. The really relevant question is:
    Are you affected by the Wubi boot loader bug discussed in the Launchpad bug thread? If your Windows uses Uefi boot and has replaced the MBR by GPT then you are. In this case there does not seem to exist a solution to the reported problem at this point in time.
    In case your system does use a good old-fashioned normal MBR then it will be necessary to continue analyzing what causes the reported problem.

    Kind regards,
    Karl
    Last edited by Karlchen; October 15th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya Mint, trusting the Tahr.

Page 110 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •