Page 109 of 121 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wubi megathread

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    The developers don't read this thread. You need to file a bug on launchpad to get a wubi problem fixed (although what you described doesn't sound like a wubi issue).
    Are you sure? I thought this is a wubi issue. It crashes when installing Ubuntu 12.04 in Wubi mode. Anyway, as I said, 12.10 fixed that. So no problems now. Yay!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyhw View Post
    Are you sure? I thought this is a wubi issue. It crashes when installing Ubuntu 12.04 in Wubi mode. Anyway, as I said, 12.10 fixed that. So no problems now. Yay!
    No, I'm not sure.

It wasn't clear to me whether you were running the installer (under windows) or whether running Ubuntu (after installing) when it crashed. But I assumed that you were running Ubuntu (since there are no reports of wubi hanging under windows), in which case it's more likely a hardware compatibility issue. You can check by running a 12.04 live CD and see if it happens again.

But as I said - if you think there's a bug, feel free to file it on launchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    No, I'm not sure.

It wasn't clear to me whether you were running the installer (under windows) or whether running Ubuntu (after installing) when it crashed. But I assumed that you were running Ubuntu (since there are no reports of wubi hanging under windows), in which case it's more likely a hardware compatibility issue. You can check by running a 12.04 live CD and see if it happens again.

But as I said - if you think there's a bug, feel free to file it on launchpad.
    First one is Windows, second one is Ubuntu. (All in wubi state)

Beans

Hi.

So I have a problem with my wubi installed ubuntu on my laptop. For the first couple days it works fine, but then ubuntu wont start and when I check in win7, the root.disk is corrupt. This has happned 3 times now, this last time it happened when i was running ubuntu, i tried to save some notes in emacs, when i got a input/output error, and when I restarted it wouldn't boot. Any ideas what is wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SirKarl View Post
    Hi.

So I have a problem with my wubi installed ubuntu on my laptop. For the first couple days it works fine, but then ubuntu wont start and when I check in win7, the root.disk is corrupt. This has happned 3 times now, this last time it happened when i was running ubuntu, i tried to save some notes in emacs, when i got a input/output error, and when I restarted it wouldn't boot. Any ideas what is wrong?
    That's a bit unusual. Is there any chance you have some disk hardware issues? (Run disk utilities or 'chkdsk /r' from windows)

Maybe it's a hardware incompatibility causing the freezes as well. Running from a live CD/USB will rule that out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rondorajon520 View Post
    Unable to boot after update manager install updates, asked me to reebot. When I click on Ubuntu on start up sceen, a file missing message flash up, then goes to boot screen again. I can of course boot to windows but not Ubuntu. This happened to me about a month ago. On that occasion I reinstalled Ubuntu but lost all files.
    Can you check for the root.disk and see if it's available? Refer to this for more info: http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...-rootdisk.html

If it's there, you can recover your data using something like http://ext2read.blogspot.ca/ (it gives you read only access to the root.disk from Windows - another option is to boot from a live CD).

The reboot problem you are having isn't typical... usually you end up at a grub prompt when there are root.disk issues, so I'm not entirely sure if this is your problem. You could also try e.g. copying the wubildr file from \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr to c:\wubildr - just to make sure it didn't get corrupted somehow.

If you're having repeat issues with Wubi it might also be time to consider installing a normal dual boot.

PS if you have any freeze-ups and/or hard reboots that can cause wubi issues, so mention that if that's the case.
    Last edited by sandyd; October 29th, 2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: removed spam from quote

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I m running Ubuntu 12.04 on a Hp laptop with sandybridge graphics. I have been trying to get my resolution working as you can see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2014562

My question is if I used wubi, would the graphics be using Windows drivers. If so then this would be a way for me to run Ubuntu and be able to use 1366x768 screen resolution. Have I got this right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rickm1945 View Post
    I m running Ubuntu 12.04 on a Hp laptop with sandybridge graphics. I have been trying to get my resolution working as you can see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2014562

My question is if I used wubi, would the graphics be using Windows drivers. If so then this would be a way for me to run Ubuntu and be able to use 1366x768 screen resolution. Have I got this right?
    No, Wubi runs the same as a normal Ubuntu install. Only the root filesystem is virtualized (to avoid having a physical partition).

If you want to make use of Windows drivers, install Ubuntu under a virtual machine.

I had a quick glance at your thread and the resolution issue is normal when booting with 'nomodeset'. You shouldn't need to boot with that... but I know that there have been some problems with Intel graphics drivers. I have one myself but my problem was the screen brightness being on full - and that was fixed with 12.04.

It's frustrating having these issues, but I find it's best to keep searching for your specific computer brand/model etc and hopefully you'll run across someone else who found a way to get things working. I've been a little lucky, not having any serious issues, but I have on my other laptop, an optimus graphics card and subwoofer etc. that just don't work... and it comes down to whether you can live with these limitations. Otherwise you have to specifically buy a compatible laptop.

Edit: I should add that you won't get optimal graphics performance under a virtual machine, so even though you won't need nomodeset to boot you probably won't have any 3d acceleration.
    Last edited by bcbc; September 15th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.

Beans

thankyou for sharing !!!new0704@gmail.com

Beans

I keep getting the "gave up waiting for root device" on a fresh install from wubi on 12.04. I used to use linux all the time and just now decided to come back to it, through my searching I just can't fix it. Any ideas please?

Page 109 of 121 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast