Page 100 of 121 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wubi megathread

I was hoping to see the physical location of the initrd.img and kernel files. But bootinfoscript didn't determine these for some reason.

In some older bioses files that are beyond 137GB from the start of the disk are not visible to bios functions and cannot be booted. Can you just confirm that the files are visible. Hit 'C' from the grub menu, then:
    Code:
    ls /boot
    Make sure you can see initrd.img-3.0.0-17-generic
    Then hit ESC to return to the menu.

If you could see them, then hit 'E' to edit the first entry. Remove 'splash vga=786 quiet splash vt.handoff=7' and hit CTRL+X to boot. See where it fails.

Beans

Being using Wubi 10.10 since 1 year alongide Win7 on my netbook. Yesterday after Ububntu froze I needed do reboot, but after doing that I was presented with grub prompt.
    Read through the first pages of the thread, tried the C:\wubildr replacement method - didn't work.
    Tried to determine my windows partition and kernel so I can manually boot in grub, but didn't manage it.
    When typing ls in grub I get hd0 and msdos1 and msdos2 as partitions.
    Tried to boot Ubuntu from USB(netbook does not have CD) but never made it to GUI, always a shell konsole is there. So I can not run the boot script to determine my windows partition.
    Anybody with some ideas? Big problem is that I can not simultaneously read forum and execute commands in grub prompt as to use browser I have to boot Win7 on the same netbook.

EDIT: I do not have disks directory in ubuntu folder on C:\ Only install and winboot

PS. Appologize for my first post being plea for help....
    Last edited by zlatko23; April 1st, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

zlatko23,
    Refer to this http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...-rootdisk.html

PS for future reference, avoid hard shutdowns: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Ho...use_are_frozen
    Last edited by bcbc; April 1st, 2012 at 05:35 PM.

Beans

@bcbc
    I ran CHKDSK and there was a directory dir0000.chk in \found.000
    I moved it to /ubuntu/disks

Ttried to boot from grub, but I end up with
    Code:
    error: file not found
    when I try to loop to /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    Then I checked(booting into Win7) the /ubuntu/disks directory - there are one folder boot and swap.disk disk file. There is no root.disk
    Do I have to rename swap.disk? Or usit for loopback?

PS. First time Windows ran CHKDSK by itself and there was no files in \found.000 After I schedule it manually, with "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" than file appeared.
    Last edited by zlatko23; April 2nd, 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

zlatko23,

You need to locate the root.disk... if it was recovered separately it would be a large file (> 5GB) named chk0000.chk (or chk????.chk). There may also be more than one \found.??? folder. So check for it first.

Usually in cases where the whole \ubuntu\disks directory is recovered to dir0000.chk, both the root.disk and swap.disk are present. But there have been cases where the root.disk alone is missing and has not been recovered - perhaps the corruption was too severe.
    So, I suppose it's possible that this is the case here.

I can't really offer much more advice than that - most of what I know is based on other users having corruption and their report of what happened (since it hasn't happened to me personally). But the plain fact is, that if you cannot locate the root.disk there is no way (I am aware of) to recover data off it.

Beans

@bcbc
    I undesrtand. I don't know how to proceed, will try searching for root.disk as you suggest. Thank you for your patience!
    My joy was premature. I thought I will be able to recover the data when I saw a file found in \found.000 Alas, only swap.disk is there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    I was hoping to see the physical location of the initrd.img and kernel files. But bootinfoscript didn't determine these for some reason.

In some older bioses files that are beyond 137GB from the start of the disk are not visible to bios functions and cannot be booted. Can you just confirm that the files are visible. Hit 'C' from the grub menu, then:
    Code:
    ls /boot
    Make sure you can see initrd.img-3.0.0-17-generic
    Then hit ESC to return to the menu.

If you could see them, then hit 'E' to edit the first entry. Remove 'splash vga=786 quiet splash vt.handoff=7' and hit CTRL+X to boot. See where it fails.

Hi again,
    Tk for your help. I did what you tell me and i even clean the 3.0.0-14 and 3.0.0-16 from the system, did again updtade initris of kernel 17, and i can't boot to that kernel. Only to 3.0.0-15. Any new idia? If i uninstall that kernel, may be a solution? (if yes, can you please tell me how to uninstal?)
    Regard's
    Miguel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by miguelpires View Post
    Hi again,
    Tk for your help. I did what you tell me and i even clean the 3.0.0-14 and 3.0.0-16 from the system, did again updtade initris of kernel 17, and i can't boot to that kernel. Only to 3.0.0-15. Any new idia? If i uninstall that kernel, may be a solution? (if yes, can you please tell me how to uninstal?)
    Regard's
    Miguel
    Don't uninstall the -15 kernel - it's your only working kernel now.

Did you run that command I showed from the grub prompt?
    1. Boot computer
    2. Select Ubuntu
    3. Hit 'C' to get to a grub prompt as soon as you see the grub menu
    4. enter
    Code:
    ls /boot
    or
    Code:
    ls (loop0)/boot
    (Press Esc to return to grub menu.)

Report back and let me know if you can see the -17 kernel and initr.img.

Thanks

Beans

So, when I startup ubuntu, there's a weird thing with "Minimal BASH-like" thingy.
    It says typing *something* gives you a list commands, then there's a list of commands....

I WANT TO START UP UBUNTU NOT DOING SOME COMMAND PROMPT!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Needicla View Post
    So, when I startup ubuntu, there's a weird thing with "Minimal BASH-like" thingy.
    It says typing *something* gives you a list commands, then there's a list of commands....

I WANT TO START UP UBUNTU NOT DOING SOME COMMAND PROMPT!
    Please refer to: http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/...-rootdisk.html

Also note this warning for using Wubi: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Warning

Page 100 of 121 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast