Thread: network manager does not work in ubuntu studio 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

network manager does not work in ubuntu studio 10.10

Hi
    I'm not very experienced with linux, and i recently installed ubuntu studio 10.10 64bit the installation went fine. however when i booted into ubuntu studio 10.10 and tried to use network manager to connect to the internet via mobile broadband, the network manager applet was not present. I'm using a vodafone k4505 usb modem. This modem has worked fine for me on ubuntu 9.04 32bit and 10.04 32bit but not in ubuntu studio 10.10 64bit. I installed network-manager-gnome by downloading one (or a few) dependency/s at a time from ubuntu 9.04 then rebooting into 10.10 and finally getting network manager to start as an applet (like it does in 9.04 and 10.04). the problem is that I can edit connections but when i click on the nm-applet i don't have the option to connect to my mobile broadband service provider, even though this option is listed as a connection when editing network manager settings.
    i'm using a amd 1075t with 8GB ram and AMD RadeonHD 6850 (with catalyst drivers 8.xx loaded).
    After having done some googling on the issue i came acorss some threads on this forum that seemed to suggest that I first need to install Ubuntu 10.10 then upgrade to Ubuntu Studio 10.10 in order to get network manager full functionality, but surely there must be a better solution than this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: network manager does not work in ubuntu studio 10.10

sakis3g solved the problem. it's not exactly network manager applet but it still allows me to connect to the internet via my vodaphone k4505 usb modem from ubuntu studio 10.10 64bit!
    awesome
    thanks sakis3g
    http://www.sakis3g.org/