Thread: change default to smplayer from totem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

change default to smplayer from totem

the dialog for "open with other application" is broken in that you cannot use 'remember this application for "AVI Video" files'. they always open with Totem. while totem is very capable, it lags at times and sometimes loses the stream if the lag is too long, while smplayer is not as finicky. besides, smplayer has more options that i require.

i wish dearly to be able to double click an avi/mkv/etc video file and have it open in smplayer.

are there instructions somewhere to do this? i have searched extensively, but there are too many threads that are similar that don't answer my question.

thanks in advance for any help.

Beans

Re: change default to smplayer from totem

your open with other application is working correctly, if you want to change the default for a file type then go -
    open with -> properties, ect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ah, you are absolutely right. i had misunderstood the purpose of that check box that says "remember this application". probably because the dialog box for "open with" is nearly the same as the mswindows version where a similar box would replace the default. i just assumed it was broken. you wouldn't guess that i've been using gnome since 1999...

anyway, thanks. i needed someone to point out the obvious.

Beans

i had misunderstood the purpose of that check box that says "remember this application".
    I don't think the purpose of the option is understood by anyone too well. (certainly not the ubuntu maintainers of nautilus.
    On some lucid installs and all maverick ones the option will actually change the default for both files and folders to the app chosen.

From a logical standpoint it should mean 'add to the open with menu', in which case it's not needed, all choices from the 'open with'-'other application' are added, box or no box.

If it's intention was to set a new default then it should just say so, save some users a bit of aggravation.