Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Fuduntu

Re: Introducing Fuduntu

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    I wanted to let everyone know that the Fuduntu 14.9 Release Candidate is now available for download. We need testers to help validate 14.9 before flagging it stable.

The Linux kernel has been updated to the latest stable release of the 2.6.37 branch, 2.6.37-2. In addition, AWN is now the default bottom panel. A bottom panel chooser preference has been added allowing users to easily switch between a GNOME bottom panel, and AWN. Many other exciting new changes too including new backgrounds, compiz auto-enable, and much more!

Obligatory screenshots:

Non Compiz enabled desktop:

Compiz enabled desktop:

If you would like to help test, click over to the announcement for download links.
    Fuduntu 14.9 has been released!

http://www.fewt.com/2011/03/fuduntu-...-released.html
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Yesterday Fuduntu initiated a donation drive in hopes to collect enough money to set up a package build farm and within 24 hours we have collected $190 of the $300 needed for this effort! To those of you at Ubuntu Forum that use Fuduntu, we thank you. Just $110 left to go and we will have systems dedicated to packaging and maintaining software used to build Fuduntu!

For more information about our donation drive, click over to Fuduntu Forum [ LINK ].

Note: We met our goal, and our new build farm has been brought online. Thanks to all that donated to Fuduntu!
    Last edited by fuduntu; May 10th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.

Fuduntu has made it to Distrowatch! If you have a moment, why not give us a click to show your support.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fuduntu

The Fuduntu 14.10 Release Candidate is ready for testing. This release brings many changes and improvements to the Fuduntu Linux distribution over previous Fuduntu releases.

Included in this release:
    • Linux kernel 2.6.39
    • Adobe Flash 10.3
    • EXT4 is now the default filesystem
    • Support for nVidia (akmod-nvidia), and ATI (akmod-catalyst) proprietary drivers
    • A tool to simplify customizing your installation (System - Preferences - Customize your Installation)
    • A Theme Refresh
    • New tweaks to improve Flash playback
    • Bug fixes
    • Patch Rollup

Default Applications (for new installations only):
    • Chromium 11
    • Google Mail
    • Empathy
    • Google Docs
    • Banshee
    • VLC

No longer default, but available via AlterEgo:
    • Likewise Open
    • Firefox
    • Thunderbird

With this change, the Fuduntu team has trimmed the installation ISO to under 1GB so it again fits on a 1GB USB stick.

Obligatory Screenshots:
    Fuduntu 14.10 Default:

System Resource Usage:

AlterEgo - The new Fuduntu Customization Tool

This Release Candidate has passed the Fuduntu test plan* and is ready for testing by a wider audience. Any updates to the media following this release will also be available to those that installed from the Release Candidate media.

Existing Fuduntu users will gain all of the benefits of 14.10 with the exception of EXT4. AlterEgo will be available in the Stable repository for installation (fuduntu-alterego).

Note: The Release Candidate is functionally identical to what we hope to release as Stable. With that, there are still packages that may be needed that have not yet been flagged stable including kernel-devel and kernel-headers as it would impact existing users to move them early. To install these packages, enable the testing repository in /etc/yum.repos.d/fuduntu.repo.

* An issue has been identified with sound and Flash on 64bit Fuduntu, the fix is to yum -y install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686, and then run /usr/lib/flash-plugin/setup install as root. This has been fixed in a new 64bit RC ISO, now available below.

Download: Fuduntu 14.10 RC - [ 32bit ] [ 64bit ]
    MD5 sums 32bit:084e48903b6e8ce68e831582d3f21009 64bit:6e5b4f26eef10ac88a010ecdd6327403
    Last edited by fuduntu; May 24th, 2011 at 04:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nice. Keep it up; really great to see a quality Fedora-based distro. Though, I still think the non-serious name will hold it back a little from people outside of the niche.

Edit: Call me a nitpick, but I think the lighting/gradient in the titlebars (from the screenshots) are a bit dramatic and not subtle enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    Nice. Keep it up; really great to see a quality Fedora-based distro. Though, I still think the non-serious name will hold it back a little from people outside of the niche.

Edit: Call me a nitpick, but I think the lighting/gradient in the titlebars (from the screenshots) are a bit dramatic and not subtle enough.
    I don't know, you may be right but on the other hand it's attracting a lot of users because they think the name is fun.

One comment I read recently: What fu-duntu it?

hah!

Beans
    Hidden!

The name rocks.

Note to mods (if you are reading) .. this thread would probably be better kept in the other OS forum.

Beans

What made you want to branch off another distribution?

Ubuntu sits very well with the average consumer ... Where Fedora is cutting edge and I enjoy both.

What is your market?
    Site:http://timszaboblog.com - Linux / Web Development / Ecommerce

Quote Originally Posted by timZZ View Post
    What made you want to branch off another distribution?

Ubuntu sits very well with the average consumer ... Where Fedora is cutting edge and I enjoy both.

What is your market?
    I left Ubuntu a few years ago but I didn't intend to create a distribution, it just happened.

I put a lot of time into Aurora, but it's pretty far behind (which is no-one's fault, the team just got busy). I was using Fedora at work after switching from Ubuntu, and decided to make a live USB with my configuration.

An upload to SourceForge, and a couple of comments on my blog later, and here we are.

The target market is portable computers, but it's a really good fit for desktops too.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast