Thread: Lock screen and sleep display using key command

Beans

Lock screen and sleep display using key command

For some reason or the other, my screen was failing to lock after gnome-screensaver came on. To be honest, I'd much rather just have it lock and have the display turned off instantly. This is my first tutorial, so let me know if anything is wrong with it!

First, create a scripts directory in your home folder:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/scripts
    Then, create and edit a new script called display.off:
    Code:
    gedit ~/scripts/display.off
    Once gedit is open type the following into your script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #locks and puts display to sleep
    gnome-screensaver-command --lock
    xset dpms force off
    Save your script and close gedit, then navigate to your scripts directory and change the permissions of your script. I set mine to 750, or read/write/execute for yourself, read/execute for your group, and nothing for others (to prevent any other user from invoking the script).
    Code:
    cd ~/scripts
    chmod 750 display.off
    Now to set the key combination, go to System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts. First find your shortcut to lock the screen (should be 'Ctrl+Alt+L'), select the shortcut command and hit 'backspace' to clear it. Then click the Add button. Enter the following, replacing $USER with your username:

Code:
    Name: Lock and Sleep Screen
    Command: /home/$USER/scripts/display.off
    Finally, press the shortcut to change the key combination and hit the control, shift and L keys.

Beans

Re: Lock screen and sleep display using key command

Great tutorial!

I was wondering if there is also a command to change the timer for which the display sleeps on its own. That way, in case the it wakes unexpectedly, the display will sleep again much sooner than I would normally have it set to.

Thank you!