Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

UPDATED 01/04/2011

SLI on GtS 450?
    Last edited by Dlambert; January 4th, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

Optiarc burners are noisy low quality burners, Samsung is a little better and more silent.

Samsung SpinPoint F3 are overall OK quality considering the price, but noisy during spin up and I would use something like WD Black for important files.

And for now stay away from AMD graphics. Performance is low, they lack video acceleration, OpenGL support is unstable. Do yourself a great favor and get a nVidia card instead. Radeon is playable for such games as WoW, but I guarantee you nVidia will give better performance and overall experience, I'm saying this both as a gamer and OpenGL developer.
    homepage: efikkan.com
    Graphics programmer

Beans

There's probably a reason why 4 people have suggested in this thread that you use an nVidia card, versus one who suggested you just use a better card from ATI.

But hey, do what you feel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WienerWuerstel View Post
    Well you don't have to switch the OS because there are awesome little Boxes called Consoles out there where you can play the latest Games on and don't have to worry about which OS you have or if you have the newest CPU/GPU .

Dual Booting is also an Option if you insist to Game on the PC instead of Consoles.

And don't forget that nobody "forces" you to install Windows .
    The "I have to install Windows" Line is already getting old. There is an Alternative for anything and everything.
    #%&#$&$% consoles. Horrible things in general, and they console makers dont like people playing with the hardware...

Aside from my dislike of consoles, its not going to fly anyway. The WoW has no console port, and fable III only runs on an xBox 360, which IMO is the worst of them. You get a'dded features' like Microsoft taking people to court for DCMA 'vilolations' for modchipping them, etc.. Better to run windows than deal with that junk, and have yet another piece of hardware littering the house.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i never buy a card worth more than 40 EUR. they can still play games well. although if i played them on 50" TV or somethign like that i would probabyl go for more expencive one. but for my current monitor they are ok. haven't played crysis yet, but a bit older ones (Stalker, Oblivion, GTA, Left 4 dead...) they still run on max (max and in winXP).
    Resolution is far more important than size (take it from me, I've actually bet people money on this and always got my cash. Having a 19'' CRT that went to 1280x1024 and a 17'' CRT that went to 1920x1440, people would always bet that the 19'' would get 'slower framerates'.....it wouldnt, not when the 17'' was at 1600x1200 or higher)

If you can run stalker at 'max' on a 40 euro card then you've got a fairly low resolution, and/or arent using AA/AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Im actually considering Crossfiring the 4670(1Gb Ddr3) and the HIS IceQ H567Q1GD Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX. Would that be a good idea?
    No, not possible, even if it was a good idea. 4670s will only crossfire with another 4670-

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImage...ombo_chart.jpg

Even if you could run 4670 + 5670 in crossfire, its still not a good idea on a 770-G45. Its got 1 x 16x PCIe slot, 1 x 16x PCIe slot (running at x4). The 2nd x16 PCIe slot running at x4 will impact on crossfire....
    Last edited by cascade9; December 10th, 2010 at 04:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by WienerWuerstel View Post
    Well you don't have to switch the OS because there are awesome little Boxes called Consoles out there where you can play the latest Games on and don't have to worry about which OS you have or if you have the newest CPU/GPU .

Dual Booting is also an Option if you insist to Game on the PC instead of Consoles.

And don't forget that nobody "forces" you to install Windows .
    The "I have to install Windows" Line is already getting old. There is an Alternative for anything and everything.
    Sure. But some games are PC exclusives and WoW is among them and the games cost a lot more
    Dual boot is the best option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Resolution is far more important than size (take it from me, I've actually bet people money on this and always got my cash. Having a 19'' CRT that went to 1280x1024 and a 17'' CRT that went to 1920x1440, people would always bet that the 19'' would get 'slower framerates'.....it wouldnt, not when the 17'' was at 1600x1200 or higher)
    I know it can slow it down. since the age of dos when i just couldn't get good FPS on terranove when i switched to 800x600

If you can run stalker at 'max' on a 40 euro card then you've got a fairly low resolution, and/or arent using AA/AF.
    might be. i think resolution was 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor. not sure if AA was on or not. but it was DirectX9c, winXP, 2 GB RAM, radeon 3650 HD (512MB DDR3 ram i believe). porcessor is some single core AMD forgot exaclty which one

maybe soem shadows were off or reduced as it seems they often give me issues. but all in all good experience. sometimes you just don't see much of a different with certain settings on or off...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Thanks.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

Will that RAM cause any problems if i use it? I have no clue what the risks are, since this is my first PC build.

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

GTS 450 it is. Thank you guys.
    Last edited by Dlambert; January 4th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm no guru, but I think you may have to install Windows in order to get better graphics support. I might be way wrong, though. Again, I'm no guru.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast