Thread: SQL 'sperts! Quick help on query...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

SQL 'sperts! Quick help on query...

Hey all! I am currently trying to get some data using the following query:
    Code:
    SELECT PZ.ID, PZ.CUST, (SELECT TP.NAME FROM TOPPING TP WHERE TP.TYPE = 'meat' AND TP.ID = PZ.ID) AS TOP FROM PIZZA PZ
    If my tables look like this:
    Code:
    PIZZA:
    [ID: 0, CUST: 'dave']
    [ID: 1, CUST: 'bob']
    [ID: 2, CUST: 'tracy']

TOPPING:
    [ID: 0, NAME: 'pep', TYPE: 'meat']
    [ID: 3, NAME: 'mushroom', TYPE: 'veggie']
    [ID: 1, NAME: 'mozzarella', TYPE: 'cheese']
    [ID: 1, NAME: 'sausage', TYPE: 'meat']
    [ID: 0, NAME: 'mozzarella', TYPE: 'cheese']
    the above query would return me the following information:
    Code:
    [ID: 0, CUST: 'dave', TOP: 'pep']
    [ID: 1, CUST: 'bob', TOP: 'sausage']
    [ID: 2, CUST: 'tracy', TOP: '']
    Now here is my question! I want to be able to search over the results of this query by possibly using a WHERE clause at the end that would do something like this:
    Code:
    SELECT PZ.ID, PZ.CUST, (SELECT TP.NAME FROM TOPPING TP WHERE TP.TYPE = 'meat' AND TP.ID = PZ.ID) AS TOP FROM PIZZA PZ WHERE TOP LIKE '%sau%'
    To get only Bob's pizza:
    Code:
    [ID: 1, CUST: 'bob', TOP: 'sausage']
    Is this possible? Am I missing an alias somewhere possibly? Maybe nest yet another SELECT around the query and do the WHERE there? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: SQL 'sperts! Quick help on query...

This would work on ORACLE. I'm not sure which db platform you are using so it may or may not work for you.

Code:
    SELECT PZ.ID, PZ.CUST, TP.NAME
    FROM PIZZA PZ,
        (SELECT NAME FROM TOPPING WHERE TYPE = 'meat') TP
    WHERE PZ.ID = TP.ID
        AND TP.TOP LIKE '%sau%'

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paul41 View Post
    This would work on ORACLE. I'm not sure which db platform you are using so it may or may not work for you.

Code:
    SELECT PZ.ID, PZ.CUST, TP.NAME
    FROM PIZZA PZ,
        (SELECT NAME FROM TOPPING WHERE TYPE = 'meat') TP
    WHERE PZ.ID = TP.ID
        AND TP.TOP LIKE '%sau%'
    Hey thanks for the reply. I see what you did and I'm sure this will work in my context, but I'm trying to avoid moving the subselect into the join portion of it. I will be doing up to 4 joins on the same table, each with a different TYPE specified. I am seeing performance issues with that. Is it possible at all to avoid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The only way I can think of to keep it like you have it is like this, but it puts you running the subquery twice, which I would think would be more of a performance hit.

Code:
    SELECT PZ.ID, PZ.CUST, (SELECT TP.NAME FROM TOPPING TP WHERE TP.TYPE = 'meat' AND TP.ID = PZ.ID) AS TOP FROM PIZZA PZ WHERE (SELECT TP.NAME FROM TOPPING TP WHERE TP.TYPE = 'meat' AND TP.ID = PZ.ID) LIKE '%sau%'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by era86 View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. I see what you did and I'm sure this will work in my context, but I'm trying to avoid moving the subselect into the join portion of it. I will be doing up to 4 joins on the same table, each with a different TYPE specified. I am seeing performance issues with that. Is it possible at all to avoid?
    Paul41's solution looks good. If you ahve performance issue, did you try to rewrite it using an INNER JOIN instead of doing the jointure in the WHERE ? That's typically the right way of coding in SQL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lucasart View Post
    Paul41's solution looks good. If you ahve performance issue, did you try to rewrite it using an INNER JOIN instead of doing the jointure in the WHERE ? That's typically the right way of coding in SQL
    Hey I actually needed to do a LEFT OUTER JOIN for my needs, but I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul41 View Post
    The only way I can think of to keep it like you have it is like this, but it puts you running the subquery twice, which I would think would be more of a performance hit.

Code:
    SELECT PZ.ID, PZ.CUST, (SELECT TP.NAME FROM TOPPING TP WHERE TP.TYPE = 'meat' AND TP.ID = PZ.ID) AS TOP FROM PIZZA PZ WHERE (SELECT TP.NAME FROM TOPPING TP WHERE TP.TYPE = 'meat' AND TP.ID = PZ.ID) LIKE '%sau%'
    Hey I actually ended up using your first suggestion. My performance hit was coming from doing a SELECT * on my subselect in the join. By just grabbing the fields I needed from the subtable (TOPPING in my example), I was able to greatly reduce the time on the query.

And now, my problem is solved!

Thanks to both of ya!
    Last edited by era86; December 3rd, 2010 at 10:50 PM.