Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ProFTPd 2 open security issues

Beans

ProFTPd 2 open security issues

Hi,

so ProFTPd currently has 2 open security issues in Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (ProFTPd 1.3.2c-1ubuntu0.1). The Telnet IAC processing stack overflow from 2010-10-29, fixed in 1.3.3c, and the newer mod_sql pre-authentication remote root issue from Mid-November, still unpatched by the ProFTPd authors.

I'm running that FTP server on my system and I'm concerned about my system security. At least the first patch should have been ported a month ago, but the USN list doesn't mention ProFTPd for a long time.

Should I consider switching to another FTP server, Pure-FTP has been mentioned elsewhere? Or does Ubuntu have a somehow modified version that didn't have those issues in the first place, but nobody mentioning it?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: ProFTPd 2 open security issues

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPixel View Post
    Hi,

so ProFTPd currently has 2 open security issues in Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (ProFTPd 1.3.2c-1ubuntu0.1). The Telnet IAC processing stack overflow from 2010-10-29, fixed in 1.3.3c, and the newer mod_sql pre-authentication remote root issue from Mid-November, still unpatched by the ProFTPd authors.

I'm running that FTP server on my system and I'm concerned about my system security. At least the first patch should have been ported a month ago, but the USN list doesn't mention ProFTPd for a long time.

Should I consider switching to another FTP server, Pure-FTP has been mentioned elsewhere? Or does Ubuntu have a somehow modified version that didn't have those issues in the first place, but nobody mentioning it?
    Have a look at vsftpd to see if it will meet your needs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could also stop using an ftp server and use sftp, most ftp clients support sftp.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You could also stop using an ftp server and use sftp, most ftp clients support sftp.
    I've been thinking about that, but I'm not sure all of my webhosting clients could handle that. Maybe I should just ask them to find out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've been thinking about that, but I'm not sure all of my webhosting clients could handle that. Maybe I should just ask them to find out.
    Would be a good idea.

sftp > ftp and a whole heck of a lot easier to set up.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

But still, until this is evaluated, ProFTPd remains highly insecure on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

But still, until this is evaluated, ProFTPd remains highly insecure on Ubuntu!
    File a bug report on launchpad referencing the vulnerabilities.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Oh, it seems that the first bug was already resolved with the current version. There wasn't even a notice about it. Only the Launchpad entry suggests it.

The second bug is in mod_sql which is not a standard module of ProFTPD. So I'm not sure whether we can expect a fix for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just read this morning that the source code for ProFTPd was compromised some time prior to last weekend (maybe?). I don't think that would necessarily be a problem for applying updates to an already-installed version, but it might be something to keep at the back of your mind. Looking for a link...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    Just read this morning that the source code for ProFTPd was compromised some time prior to last weekend (maybe?). I don't think that would necessarily be a problem for applying updates to an already-installed version, but it might be something to keep at the back of your mind. Looking for a link...
    Got it:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/o...urce-code/7787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast