View Poll Results: Which WordPress theme for a multimedia tutorials website? (links below the poll)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newscast

9 37.50%
  • Black Aperture

8 33.33%
  • Sight

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choose a design for open-source creative software website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Help choose a design for open-source creative software website

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to build a website to promote learning of open-source creative software, like GIMP, Inkscape, etc. It'll be an "aggregator" of tutorials, similar to how Linux Today collects news from many sources.

The website will be powered by WordPress. Here are links to the themes I am considering. You can see sample screenshots and live previews:

Newscast

Black Aperture

Sight

The target readers of my site are Linux users and multimedia artists who like to use open-source creative software to brush up photos, edit videos, record music, etc.

Some might ask, "Why don't you design it yourself?" Fair question. Although I've used Ubuntu for several years, I'm a beginner with the creative applications. This website is partly to help me learn how to use these programs and share the best tutorials that I find with others. I'd rather the site look good than not.

If you have other suggestions for good themes, please share the theme name and a link where to where we can view it.

Thanks for your help!
    LinuxforArtists.com - Use free software to unleash creativity

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Help choose a design for open-source creative software website

They all look professional, so it's up to you to choose which one conveys the message you're looking for.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Newcast looks awesome. BTW, I would like to find an extension for Joomla similar to that slider.

One thing I learned about templates, is that they look really good on the demo sites, but once you add your content and start adding extensions to the platform, things might not be as good as you expected, due to the nature of your content and extensions. For instance I am in the middle of the process of building a new website for my stuff, which is basically browser extensions and some tutorials. I have already switched the template twice since I started. Now I feel I'm getting somewhere.

I would recommend that you take a look at rockettheme.com. They have professional themes for Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal and phpBB3.

Make sure you pick one that is built upon Gantry Framework, which is very powerful in regard to customization of the template. I never used their Wordpress templates, but the Joomla templates build upon Gantry are awesome. You can change module positions, colors, size and a lot more from a simple administrative backend. When you visit a template demo, go to "Features >> Module Variations" to see what I am talking about.

Gantry is a little bit slow in the backend, but the results are awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@lovinglinux. That was a lot of helpful advice. I'll take a look at the RocketTheme website. Thanks!
    LinuxforArtists.com - Use free software to unleash creativity

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

black aperture

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by linuxforartists View Post
    @lovinglinux. That was a lot of helpful advice. I'll take a look at the RocketTheme website. Thanks!
    Just another thought...useless perhaps

While asking what other users think about a particular template might help, you need to consider you will probably be looking at it every day. So perhaps you should give more points to those templates that are really pleasant to you. I for one get bored with my templates pretty easily. Sometimes, by the time I finish a web site I am already sick of looking at it and want to change the template again

Beans
    Hidden!

Newscast is the best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

voted for Sight. readability, design, layout. a few tweaks to the php and css files and you're good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Voted for Sight with same reasons as MooseDog. Readability should be a priority if it's a learning site with tutorials, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast