Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your programming language(s)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What's your programming language(s)?

This is just something I'm a little curious about.

What programming language(s) do you use/prefer? What language did you start with when learning about computer programming?

For me, I started out with DarkBASIC (a Windows-only game development language), then moved on to learning C++ (just now starting with it). I'm also going to study Python, although I'm having trouble finding detailed tutorials. I still use DarkBASIC on Windows (I know, shameful) for casual game development, which I keep progress of in my blog (link in my signature).

The programming languages I prefer to use are C++ and Python because of their flexibility and multi-platform programming ability. I'm certainly no expert on either of them, however!

So what about you? What language did you start with and what do you prefer to use for programming?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What's your programming language(s)?

Started with BASIC on an Apple II. Flirted with machine code on the Apple II (the 6502 processor only had a limited set of op-codes and you could easily memorise them). Tried Visual Basic which was OK, I suppose. Tried Delphi and quite liked it. Had a go at C, C++, Java, Python. I probably had the most fun with machine code on the Apple (they published the OS/ROM for the machine on paper, it was so small) and with Delphi just for its shear ease of writing usable Windows apps. When it comes to Linux then I've found there are many people way smarter than me that have mostly already done what I was thinking of trying to do.
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro

I took VB.NET and C++ as classes in high school. VB.NET is actually really easy for me. C++, was too, but I'm still shaky on the concept of classes. Actually, I met my boyfriend by taking C++ last schoolyear. I played around with HTML for a bit, but got bored with it for whatever reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i like java, c++ and python

im proficient with visual basic as well, but i dont like it
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Hidden!

I like PHP and C#. PHP because it's really flexible without going overboard like perl, and C# because it's like Java that doesn't suck.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

you take that back!
    java is the best
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro

I'm really interested in studying Java as well, actually, because I'm a little familiar with C# from experimenting with XNA Game Studio back in my Windows-only days. I'm gonna look into that right now, actually.

Beans
    Distro

PHP, Java, C++, Visual Basic

Beans

I am a noob but I have been getting good at python (wrote a few graphical apps). I think I may try to get proficient using Vala.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

For me I picked-up programming using BASIC on the TRS-80 systems in the late 80's, then picked-up GWBasic and Turbo Pascal in MS-DOS in the early 90's. Also in high school we used ZBasic and Pascal on the Macs which was different yet fun.

When I got into college in the late 90's I started getting more into web design and picked-up HTML (granted not a true language), PHP, Perl, then ColdFusion at my first job. From there I moved into Visual Basic 6 and now at my current job I've picked-up VB and C# under the DotNet framework.

On my side projects I do most of my work in PHP, though I'd like to start working more with C# and Mono and also possibly pick up Python and Java.

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast