Thread: Graphics quaility on starling vs other system 36 computers

Beans

Graphics quaility on starling vs other system 36 computers

Notice the grainy quality of the edges of the partial screenshot below. This is from my Starling. This is not a great problem on a netbook, although if it could be corrected it would be nice.

However, if I buy a regular lap top or desktop from System76, I would like to know that the graphics are better. Is there a big difference in the graphics cards used in small screen netbooks and in other computers?

Pardon the typo in the thread title. I don't know how to change it.
    Last edited by tc101; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

Re: Graphics quaility on starling vs other system 36 computers

If you have a Starling, are you happy with the graphics?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have a first generation Starling and I am very satisfied with the graphics performance. But, I have very different expectations than I have for my other two laptops, (A first and third generation Darter from System 76.) Those two laptops have more powerful CPU's more powerful graphics engines along with higher resloution screens. So by definition, they will have better graphics performance than a Starling. It's not a flaw in the Starling, just a consequence of designing computers for different purposes.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    Notice the grainy quality of the edges of the partial screenshot below. This is from my Starling. This is not a great problem on a netbook, although if it could be corrected it would be nice.

However, if I buy a regular lap top or desktop from System76, I would like to know that the graphics are better. Is there a big difference in the graphics cards used in small screen netbooks and in other computers?

Pardon the typo in the thread title. I don't know how to change it.
    That is an extremely large image, it appears zoomed in ... do web pages seem overly large to you? Try to hit ctrl+0 in firefox and see if that makes a difference.

You should be able to edit the title through "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread

Beans

That is an extremely large image, it appears zoomed in
    I zoomed in just to make clear what the problem is. Maybe that was confusing. Below is what it looks like normally on my screen. This is not terrible, but not nearly as good as what I get from a 5 year old desktop running ubuntu. Do I have any problem, or is this just what you get with a netbook? I realize most people don't hook a 22 inch screen to their netbook.

Last edited by tc101; December 4th, 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you have both screens set to display the same image? If so, then you're using your 22 inch monitor at the netbook resolution! Press Fn+F7 to cycle through different settings until only the netbook screen has an image on it.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thanks for explaining Fn F7. That is a useful thing to know about, but still doesn't solve the problem.

Here are two screen shots that will show you how I am set up. I like having both screens on at the same time. I think these pictures may be worth a thousand words, but if it is not clear how I am set up I will explain more.

Scroll over to the lower right of each one to see the monitor preferences screen and resolution setting. You will see I have different resolutions for the netbook screen and 22" Dell screen. The screen shot shows both screens.

As you can see, I have different resolutions for the two screens

Last edited by tc101; December 7th, 2010 at 05:13 AM.