Thread: Enable compiz on a Core i5 (Arrandale) based laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Enable compiz on a Core i5 (Arrandale) based laptop

Hi,
    I am trying to enable compiz desktop effects on my laptop but it keeps saying effects could not be enabled. I am not sure what is the cause since other people on the forums have said effects work fine on the newer intel graphics chipsets. Is there an updated, method to enable them? Special xorg.conf, etc?

I am not sure what i need to attach so for now I am going to start with <code>lspci</code> and <code>/var/log/Xorg.0.log</code>

I am not sure if hybrid graphics causes this issue. Especially since in ubuntu only the intel graphics chip is active.

I have also asked on askubuntu.com. tried searching google, but no conclusive guide

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15471...aptop-on-lucid

Please help me?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Enable compiz on a Core i5 (Arrandale) based laptop

Quote Originally Posted by eshwar_andhavarapu View Post
    Hi,
    I am trying to enable compiz desktop effects on my laptop but it keeps saying effects could not be enabled. I am not sure what is the cause since other people on the forums have said effects work fine on the newer intel graphics chipsets. Is there an updated, method to enable them? Special xorg.conf, etc?

I am not sure what i need to attach so for now I am going to start with <code>lspci</code> and <code>/var/log/Xorg.0.log</code>

I am not sure if hybrid graphics causes this issue. Especially since in ubuntu only the intel graphics chip is active.

I have also asked on askubuntu.com. tried searching google, but no conclusive guide

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15471...aptop-on-lucid

Please help me?
    I managed to get compiz to work. i uninstalled nvidia's proprietary driver (nvidia-current). now with nouveau, glxinfo gives decent output and says direct rendering is enabled (turns out its talking about the intel chip). then i go to desktop effects, and when i select extra, it says install nvidia proprietary drivers, i click cancel, the screen blinks but compiz is now enabled.

Also updated the askubuntu.com question to reflect the answer
    Last edited by eshwar_andhavarapu; December 7th, 2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added link to askubuntu question