Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Text Based Life

Beans

Re: Text Based Life

Here's something fun - get the INX live CD 1.17 version, boot it up and watch the short movie "A New Computer" -- it blew my mind that I could watch a video in framebuffer (everything is set up perfectly for it).

I like to boot up INX, fire up a shoutcast channel I like and then hit the IRC channels while I surf in Elinks or check gmail. (BTW, the "search for shoutcast streams" is broke, but if you choose the "radio" option and pick a link from the shoutcast webpage it loads in elinks, it will open and play very nice indeed).

INX even has a wifi client called CENI, which supports my Belkin USB adapter out of the box (YAY!). Just a tip, if you are booting INX on a netbook, you need to use either F5 or F6 at the grub boot to change the screen size or it all will not fit on the screen and you will have unreachable options.

Great tip about pressing "." in elinks to turn on link navigation -- first thing I do. You can also have multiple tabs and jump amongst them.
    Esc key brings up the menu and also removes it.

Screen is a great little app - it little weird to get used to at first, but mighty handy once you get the hang of it.

Love, love, love moc!

CLI can rock!

MDG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by TiBaal89 View Post
    Thanks, I did see that... it seems like those color settings are for the elinks elements themselves. I'm referring to the rendering of the page - i.e. link colors, page background, etc. Unless I missed that...
    As far as I know, that's controlled by the page, not ELinks, just like any other web browser. The Google page's background is white because Google wants it to be white.

But you can define an external stylesheet for ELinks to use. Create your stylesheet, then place it in ~/.elinks. Then open ELinks, go to Setup > Options Manager > Document > Cascading Style Sheets > Default Stylesheet and just type in the name of your stylesheet (without the rest of the path).

I believe that should do what you're wanting.
    Last edited by Liverbones; December 3rd, 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Clarification!
    Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

- Unknown

Beans

Yes! I will certainly do this... flippin awesome. Thanks.
    -Mike

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Responding via elinks, cant seem to get it to scroll down persay
    Edit- This..Just plain rocks, but is wonky to use.
    For some reason when I enter in the link number it takes me to thr wrong one, odd for some reason.
    I'll figure it out sooner or later. But this is Nice!
    Last edited by Alpha101; December 3rd, 2010 at 09:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha101 View Post
    Responding via elinks, cant seem to get it to scroll down persay
    Edit- This..Just plain rocks, but is wonky to use.
    For some reason when I enter in the link number it takes me to thr wrong one, odd for some reason.
    I'll figure it out sooner or later. But this is Nice!
    This does it for me.
    I dont need video, I dont watch stuff, but if I did I know where to look for programs.
    I want to be able to boot an OS off a flash drive, with no GUI(Or so literally basic that it makes minimalists cry in happiness), black screen and lime green text only,
    Fast, and -small-.
    Whats the best shot mates?
    I sound mad or like I'm trying to be a poser with the green text reference to matrix, but heck it's easy to read.
    Last edited by Alpha101; December 3rd, 2010 at 09:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by marshag63 View Post
    INX
    Downloading right now...sadly through gui, and then going to try running it in a VM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In elinks, go to the link then hit D to download.

Beans

Alpha101, INX has the matrix screensaver and green text in most apps.

In Elinks, use Insert/Delete to scroll up/down. When you jump to a link to enter text, press the Enter key first and it will let you type your text.

Good news, INX can be put on a USB key (if you want persistence -meaning you want to keep any settings you change, that is possible to do - I'm not sure where to find those instructions again).

If you do run INX, don't forget to run through the tutorials. Also, fire up irssi and pop in the INX chat room - they are great people, but it tends to be one of those quiet channels.

MDG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had a bash at INX yesterday from liveCD - excellent!

However, when I reboot it won't boot into ubuntu, just a black screen, no blinking curser - nada - so I have to do a hard shutdown and boot. then everything is fine...This is not going to stop me using it, just posting to see if anyone else has experienced this?

Also - When trying to acces facebook from elinks it replies 'sorry, facebook is not cool enough to support your broswer, try firefox, Chromium etc'

Not bothered about this either, but thought I'd share that - give it a go just for the fun of it
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Text Based Life

Does anyone know how to change the text colors in a tty? I know it sounds dumb but I want the green text like in those old 80s hacker movies, (born in '94). Anyways if anyone could tell me how to do that I would really apppreiciate it. Also, I am doing everything on here, from browsing with elinks to downloading movies with transmissioncli and watching them with mplayer. Which reminds me, I can't get sound out of mplayer, I have mute: disabled, and I press zero and it says "volume 100%" and I even used alsamixer to increase the voolume but nothing. Even when I am just playing mp3's. How do I get sound? P.S Hipptaff, I can't go on facebook either, but thats okay, I am on a cli and nobody cares what I have to say anyways.

Edit: I got the green text with setterm -foreground green
    Last edited by 12apennachi; December 3rd, 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast