Thread: Kids on Computers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Kids on Computers

About to buy a Starling NetBook, want to donate but have nothing they want, if I select the ($ 10.00) extra send me a shipping label option is it wasted Should I just give the $ 10.00 to the sierra club ?

Beans

Re: Kids on Computers

I can't say for sure, but I'd assume that the US$10.00 shipping label is to cover part/all of the actual cost of shipping your old computer to the Kids on Computer's organization (based on my experience, shipping a computer usually costs more than US$10.00). If it turns out that you are able to donate the computer, for income tax purposes, you'd probably deduct shipping costs plus a reasonable estimate of your computer's current value.

What are the specs on your old computer?

Maybe you could sell your old computer someplace like eBay and then use the profits from that sale to make a monetary donation to Kids on Computers and/or another charity of your choice?

PS: Regardless of if you donate your old computer or take it somewhere for recycling, don't forget to use a utility such as DBAN of gwscan to properly erase the hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: Kids on Computers

tkanks 414, I have a p4 with 512 K but its headless (no keyboard mouse or monitor) data is important !